PDA

View Full Version : v3.5 D&D upgraded ruleset (v1.3)

Moon Wizard
May 30th, 2008, 18:47
Here is another revision of my upgraded d20 ruleset for v3.5 D&D. Within the ZIP file is a readme file, which contains a list of the changes and installation instructions.

Download here (https://www.johnandjenn.org/docs/fg2_d20_jpg_v1_3.zip)

A quick summary of the major changes:
* Converted mini sheets to a single tabbed mini sheet
* Player-to-player whispers
* NPC fields can now be rolled by double-clicking
* ...and more

Cheers,
JPG

Astinus
June 17th, 2008, 22:08
I'm not the first person to say this, and won't be the last, but I gotta say it anyway: this ruleset rocks. A very polished, feature rich piece of work. Wow!

Moon, are you going to be developing this more, or have you moved onto 4e now? I'd like to tinker with the character sheet for C&C compatibility (personal use only, of course), but I'd wait if you're going to make more changes. Not that I can imagine many more changes.

Thanks for an awesome ruleset.

turelus
June 18th, 2008, 18:39
Was just having a conversation with my players about if they could whisper each other, then I came on here to redownload the ruleset and read the readme to find and update that has it in!

Thanks man your ruleset really is amazing love the work you do :D

SniperDM
June 22nd, 2008, 08:42
</lurk>
I really have to say, this Mega-ruleset is fantastic. Really, it's a "the best of" modification to the standard d20 ruleset. I had been working on my own set of tweaks, but promptly abandoned them when I found this.

With this latest release, I've only noticed a few niggles.

--In certain circumstances the Friendly/Neutral/Hostile icon on the client tracker will not display. The client tracker never shows that icon if the NPC in question is added while it's up, but normally, closing it and opening it makes it appear as normal. The behavior I am talking about causes the icon to never appear at all, at least until that particular combat is ended (by deleting the record of the current tracker.) It might have something to do with the combat tracker tools, but I can't figure it out. Sorry if this isn't enough to go on. :(

--Some strange script errors when pulling out enemy attacks from the personality sheet to roll them. If I try grabbing near the beginning of the text string on some attacks, I get a message:

Script Error: (string "scripts/NPCattackfield.lua":367: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)

If I grab from any other part, it works just fine, even after the script error. In case it matters, here's an example string I get that on.

Greataxe +12/+7 melee (1d12+7/x3) or Longbow (Rapid Shot) +10/+10/+5 ranged (1d8+6/x3)

--Similarly, Fantasy Grounds crashes entirely if I try to edit a base attack bonus / grapple on a personality sheet under some circumstances. I can always get this to work if I delete the characters that make up the base attack bonus (Before the slash) and then try to enter "+" in its place. So if I had the string

+6/+8

and deleted the "+6" so I was left with

/+8

and then placed my cursor at the front and typed "+", I would get the crash.

Despite these little issues, I'm still using this wonderful ruleset and eagerly await future updates.
<lurk>

Astinus
June 22nd, 2008, 17:09
--In certain circumstances the Friendly/Neutral/Hostile icon on the client tracker will not display. The client tracker never shows that icon if the NPC in question is added while it's up, but normally, closing it and opening it makes it appear as normal. The behavior I am talking about causes the icon to never appear at all, at least until that particular combat is ended (by deleting the record of the current tracker.) It might have something to do with the combat tracker tools, but I can't figure it out. Sorry if this isn't enough to go on. :(

On a related issue, if I clear the Combat Tracker (with /ctc), then add the PC's back in (with /ctl ...), the PC hit points/wounds don't show up on the client side combat tracker. Instead their wounds are represented like NPC wounds (moderate, etc). If the player's close and re-open their combat tracker, then their hit points and wounds appear as normal. So it's not a big deal, just a minor annoyance having to close and re-open the client side combat tracker whenever I clear my combat tracker.

--Some strange script errors when pulling out enemy attacks from the personality sheet to roll them. If I try grabbing near the beginning of the text string on some attacks, I get a message:

Script Error: (string "scripts/NPCattackfield.lua":367: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)

If I grab from any other part, it works just fine, even after the script error. In case it matters, here's an example string I get that on.

Greataxe +12/+7 melee (1d12+7/x3) or Longbow (Rapid Shot) +10/+10/+5 ranged (1d8+6/x3)

I had the exact same problem several times last night.

-- Also, if my players try to roll initiative from their mini sheet, with a drag or double click, and their client side combat tracker is closed, they get a script error. I'm sorry I didn't get the exact script error, but it's easy to duplicate. I'll get the exact error next time and post it here. It was something about a nil value. FG was trying to place the initiative result on the combat tracker and it wouldn't work if client side was closed.

But again, these are very minor issues in a fantastic ruleset.

phloog
June 22nd, 2008, 19:34
This thing is awesome...let me give you my praise/perspective...I am an owner of FG since yesterday...that's it...but in that one day by about four hours after purchase I was getting serious buyer's remorse...I still have a bit of that due to the HORRIBLE documentation and some of the clunky mechanics, but a large part of it went away when I tried your ruleset.

The double click to roll, and the whisper are what sold me - - I am considering using FG at times even when all my players are in the same room, so the whisper is important to me. My only feedback, taken with the grain of salt that is my inexperience, so far would be:

1) I'm still often confused about WHICH instances can be double clicked and which can't - - so on this sheet the Fort save is a modifier, on that it can be double clicked (but no biggie)...also for things like an Androsphinx with two attack modes - for one the double click to roll damage works, but for the other it doesn't.

2) The preparation mode versus casting mode for spells is awesome - I just didn't notice the checkbox until after a bit of use.

3) I love a system where DM is privvy to ALL whispers - - this is as it should be - - I would hate for two CHARACTERS to be conspiring and yet a third character with insanely high hearing never finds out because the PLAYERS are using notes/chat/etc. With the DM in on it all, I can roll private Listen checks and cut/paste all (or just some) of the whispering secretly to the one who heard.

All in all...MUCH better than the base, but one last thing...

4) Is there a way to have a SECOND form of Mini form? I like all the detail in yours, but it takes up so much real estate on screen...I would also think that certain skills (spot/listen/etc.) merit inclusion on any mini screen.

Hopefully none of this is just dead wrong (like I didn't notice something it already does)...

Thanks SO MUCH for this.

JT

phloog
June 24th, 2008, 19:56
An odd question - - first off, I'm a complete novice at XML, but I was wondering:

I really like your 'roll on double click' logic, but I am running a campaign using the True 20 ruleset created by another of the clever posters here...is that logic something that is pervasive throughout - meaning if I wanted to add this logic to skills and attacks in the True 20 ruleset I'd have to be an XML Deity and change almost everything?

Thanks,
JT

Astinus
June 24th, 2008, 20:19
You don't have to be an xml deity - just a minor power ;). I added and removed double click rolls in certain places on this ruleset and I know next to nothing about xml - but I only moved it within this ruleset.

For me, it was just a case of trial and error. Find the relevant script, remove it, add it somewhere else, see if it works, if there's an error, go to the file it indicates and remove the problem etc. Just backup before you start.

There are people here who can give you precise steps, and if you started a new thread in the workshop you'd probably get some help on that.

But for what it's worth, if you go into charsheet_templates.xml, you will find the Double Click Roll function:

function onDoubleClick(x,y)
ChatManager.DoubleClickAction("dice", getValue(), self.description[1].text[1], {pc = window.getDatabaseNode()});
return true;
end

It then depends on where you want to use it, and if you're taking it outside of this ruleset you'd need the help of one of those xml deities you were talking about.

And if you do start tinkering with rulesets, the Ruleset Modification Guide (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/modguide/) in the Library is of great help.

phloog
June 24th, 2008, 20:59
Thanks, Astinus...my fear was based around all the 'hooks' (don't know the proper term) and dependencies, so I figured what I wanted to do (moving functionality from one ruleset to another) was going to likely be beyond my abilities.

SniperDM
June 25th, 2008, 04:29
I've found another little issue with this release. The game seems to slow down, memory-wise, severely in some situations regarding the combat tracker. Near as I can tell, it has to do with when an NPC is deleted from the tracker while other players are connected.

Also, my players have expressed a desire to have the old-style minisheets. They say the new ones are a bit too much.

Still a fine ruleset. I'd love to it in running in perfect condition.

Moon Wizard
June 25th, 2008, 21:52
One note to all the people using this ruleset.

I included the CT tool commands (/ctc, /ctl, /cts) in the code, as I was trying to get them to work with this ruleset. HOWEVER, I was never able to get them to work without serious issues when loading/saving encounters, including slow performance and endless loops.

I have asked around the forums for a solution, but no one has a clear answer as to why it is happening. The only option I haven't tried is a full rewrite of the combat tracker and client combat tracker into the same windowclass, which is a huge undertaking.

For now, please don't depend on the CT slash commands, as you may have lots of problems if you use them.

Regards,
JPG

Astinus
June 25th, 2008, 22:01
Thanks for the warning. Interestingly, I had a lot more troubles with the CT Tool commands in version 1.2. This version hasn't given me the same dramas yet. No endless loops or anything (touch wood). Hopefully it continues to behave.

Babbage
June 26th, 2008, 23:26
Thanks for this ruleset. A vast improvement. I think I might be missing something though. I don't seem to be able to set portraits - the portrait button is missing. Should it be there and if not, how can I set a portrait to a character?

Illrigger
June 27th, 2008, 03:37
Are you in DM mode or player mode? Portraits are only able to be set from player mode.

Babbage
June 27th, 2008, 10:00
I'm hosting it, so I guess that's DM mode.

Griogre
June 27th, 2008, 21:12
If you need to set character's portraits for like pregens, start a second instance of FG as a player (with a different user name) and connect to yourself. You can then set the character portraits. Don't forget to free the pregens afterwards though.

Moon Wizard
July 12th, 2008, 22:07
Posting updated ruleset with bug fixes in new thread.
JPG