PDA

View Full Version : multiple FG installs behind one router

sazyanti
May 30th, 2008, 18:09
ok. so here i s my problem. I am the GM, my wife is one of my players. So we have a full license on my computer, and a lite license on her system. When i am running games we are fine. She connects to my internal Ip and my other players connect to my hosted ip.

The problem comes when I need to check for updates or if we both want to play in a game together as players. Does anyone know a way to open the 1802 ports to multiple computers in your environment? I'm using an actiontec DSl router/modem from qwest. In port forwarding i'm told i can only route a port to one IP at a time. So i have to disable my current configuration, then activate a new one her her computer.

Any ideas?

joshuha
May 30th, 2008, 18:18
I believe fantasygrounds supports passing an alternate port on the exe.

fantasyground -p<portnumber>

So if you change the shortcut on your wife's computer to a different port you just need to create another rule to forward to the new port you pick.

Hamish
May 30th, 2008, 20:13
I'm afraid I don't see the problem....
As long as port forwarding is set up to forward all incoming traffic to the GM computer, you should be OK. Your router must know what to do with incoming connections, and only the host will be getting incoming connections. What issues are you experiencing when you are both players?
I'd be very surprised if updating requires incoming connections. There would be a lot more support requests here if it did, I think.

Pleae let us know what problems you have, maybe we can help out.

sazyanti
May 30th, 2008, 21:26
well first off. Anytime i have tried to update without having the 1082 port open i havent been able to connect to the update server. I havent actually tried with both of us players yet but wanted to be sure i wasnt going to have a problem.

I'll try the port option and see if that helps with the update issues.

Thanks all.

longarms
June 2nd, 2008, 19:10
I have the identical setup with my wife and things seem to work ok. Specifically, she connects up to my server and plays in the session, and she rarely gets a disconnection (usually only when sharing large maps).

Seems like I get at least one other player get a disconnection per session. I have always wondered if my setup could have anything to do with that, but I think the answer is NO.

Onegrayson
June 3rd, 2008, 22:19
I have just purchases a second Lite FGII version for my son and understand he can use it while I run the full version, using my IP address at home.

I will be purchasing him a new computer in the fall, will I have any problems downloading his FGII on the new computer with the same serial numbers? What happens if both computers are being used at the same time (his old one is going to his younger sister), will one not be able to function - or should I delete the software from the old one - so as to avoid any connection issues?

Thank you.

Griogre
June 3rd, 2008, 23:26
I have just purchases a second Lite FGII version for my son and understand he can use it while I run the full version, using my IP address at home.
He should be able to - the OP of this tread is the first post I've seen where there is a problem.

I will be purchasing him a new computer in the fall, will I have any problems downloading his FGII on the new computer with the same serial numbers? What happens if both computers are being used at the same time (his old one is going to his younger sister), will one not be able to function - or should I delete the software from the old one - so as to avoid any connection issues?
The theory says you should not have a problem, however personally I would remove the software from the old computer - though not until you are sure it works fine on the new computer. Why temp fate? And if you do have any router issues it should bring them forward immediately so you can fix them - prior to when you are trying to run a game. :p

Onegrayson
June 3rd, 2008, 23:58
How long until the license keys are usually sent? I recall purchasing mine and getting the keys in a matter of minutes, this transaction seems to be taking a lot longer. I used a credit card this time and pay pal last, is this the difference in time frames?

Thank you.

Griogre
June 4th, 2008, 04:50
If you don't get it almost immediatly, 5 minutes max, something is wrong. Check your spam filter and if it's not there I would e-mail customer support.