PDA

View Full Version : Lookie what the brown truck brought this morning!

Illrigger
May 28th, 2008, 17:32
My pre-ordered 4e Core Rulebook Gift set shipped Friday, and arrived this morning - the folks at Buy.com decided to break ship date by a full two weeks. I snapped these before I had to leave for work; I plan on reading them on my breaks today, so I can answer any questions but it will take a while as I haven't even cracked the spines as of this posting.

https://illrigger.org/images/Front.JPG
https://illrigger.org/images/Back.JPG
https://illrigger.org/images/Outside%20Box.JPG
https://illrigger.org/images/Spine.JPG

kalmarjan
May 28th, 2008, 19:53
Got them as well, this morning. ;)

joshuha
May 29th, 2008, 00:20
Look good, I can't wait to get mine. I should have a working 4th edition character sheet by June 6th (for now all manual entry until GSL is known).

Illrigger
May 29th, 2008, 00:38
From what I'm seeing so far, it looks like there's very few things to auto-calculate anyway; an auto-calc value for 1/2 level + stat mod combined with drag and drop mods will cover the vast majority of rolls you need to make.

Which, by the way, seems like a good thing for the most part; it makes it really simple to figure out what you need for any given situation.

Illrigger
May 29th, 2008, 06:01
Oh, crap. Someone has leaked the print masters of all of the core books - and I'm guessing someone at WotC is having a VERY bad day.

Himo
May 29th, 2008, 12:36
Can't wait for my books to arrive next week. Damn you amazon for not breaking release date! :p

joshuha
May 29th, 2008, 13:26
Have you seen my post here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=58382&postcount=7

mr_h
May 29th, 2008, 14:23
I ordered through Amazon and I'm hesitant to break the order and switch over to Buy.com, in case they 'fix' their error. I'll probably just have to settle for reading what I can online *wink wink*

Illrigger
May 29th, 2008, 19:24
Yeah, reading around it doesn't look like the leak is going to hurt WotC that badly. For core books, people are willing to buy the print copies even if they manage to find a free PDF. PDFs are great for searching ad referencing, but nothing beats a print copy for just reading.

Rienen
May 29th, 2008, 19:27
Oh, crap. Someone has leaked the print masters of all of the core books - and I'm guessing someone at WotC is having a VERY bad day.

Yeah, I noticed that myself. I suspect downloads are going to be a little busy on USENET for a while...

Traygin
May 29th, 2008, 22:05
Who is the print master of the core books?

Illrigger
May 29th, 2008, 22:10
The print masters are the files sent to the print company that are used to make the books. They're equivalent to the gold master disks that software companies send to the duplication facility.

Traygin
May 29th, 2008, 23:48
The print masters are the files sent to the print company that are used to make the books. They're equivalent to the gold master disks that software companies send to the duplication facility.

Thanks for the clarification on what the print master is. I have been reading on other boards, of people downloading PDF’s of D&D 4e rules of off P2P networks.

Dachannien
May 29th, 2008, 23:51
Shrug. I actually think I'd be more likely to buy it if I could (a) take a look at it ahead of time from the comfort of my home and (b) could have an online reference similar to d20srd.org (but for 4ed instead of 3.5, of course). The print master PDF would fit both bills.

Thore_Ironrock
May 30th, 2008, 00:14
https://www.icv2.com/articles/news/12645.html

:D

Himo
May 30th, 2008, 08:10
Yeah i'm still getting the core books even though i got the pdf's.

I just prefer to have a hardcopy about. I find it easier to read than the pdf for some reason.

So far i'm liking most of the new changes. Just need to find a 4ed game to play in.

mr_h
May 30th, 2008, 14:05
Having read the PDFs, it makes me want the books that much more. I mean, it's nice to see, but nothing beats books for constant reading.

(Although I'll admit having PDFs is darn handy...I cant sneak a book into work as easily ;))

Sorontar
May 30th, 2008, 14:08
Having read the PDFs, it makes me want the books that much more. I mean, it's nice to see, but nothing beats books for constant reading.

(Although I'll admit having PDFs is darn handy...I cant sneak a book into work as easily ;))

Yeah nothing beats working on a campaign or making your character up for Friday's game whilst at work. :)

Master
May 30th, 2008, 14:59
My group bought them from amazon during their 50% off deal. Guess we will download the PDFs while we wait for our hard copies to come in the mail. I really hope this doesnt hurt WOTC. Most people I know who are looking at the PDFs already have pre sales waiting for delivery.

unerwünscht
May 30th, 2008, 22:10
My group bought them from amazon during their 50% off deal. Guess we will download the PDFs while we wait for our hard copies to come in the mail. I really hope this doesnt hurt WOTC. Most people I know who are looking at the PDFs already have pre sales waiting for delivery.

I think that would be due to the fact that the gaming community is firmly split between people who are pumped up and ready for 4e such as yourself. These people have all or almost all preordered their copies and the use of the PDF will not detrimentally harm WoTC.

Then you have group two (the group I fall in) we have no interest whatsoever in 4e. It matters not that the core books are available openly in PDF on the net. Why would I download a set of books, that I know for a fact I will never use?

Master
May 31st, 2008, 20:52
Dont get me wrong, I am not even slightly pumped for 4e. It is just what everyone is going to be going to in the future so there is no point staying in the past working with an unsupported system.

Sorontar
June 1st, 2008, 00:34
Dont get me wrong, I am not even slightly pumped for 4e. It is just what everyone is going to be going to in the future so there is no point staying in the past working with an unsupported system.

Well I have ordered the 3 core books as I like looking over new systems but I have all the Eberron books and am waiting for my turn to DM, I'm not converting to 4e thats for sure. Once I've DMd and got my campaign out of the way we'll see how things stand.

Rienen
June 2nd, 2008, 17:10

Heck, I still am considering starting a Dangerous Journey's : Mythus campaign... talk about unsupported...

mr_h
June 2nd, 2008, 17:54
Heck, I still am considering starting a Dangerous Journey's : Mythus campaign... talk about unsupported...

My group plays Top Secret SI as well....so I know what you're talking about :)

Doswelk
June 3rd, 2008, 07:51
What not play with an "unsupported system"?

Besides which 3.5 will not be unsupported, Pathfinder RPG for example...

I've ordered the books, but just like 3.0 (didn;t bother with 3.5) I cannot see me ever playing it!

I was a D20 Modern man through and through and then I discovered SW!

I still find it amazing that a 160 page book for £5.99 ($9.99) manages to cover all the rules that it takes WOTC three books (okay I admit that D&D books have more stats for monsters, items, etc).

As I say this is not a bash D&D post, but I cannot see me ever playing it (I've got 1st, 2nd and 3rd Edition books thought might as well have 4th!)
================================================== ====================
Please note that all statements above are my own deranged ramblings and in no way are the views of Digital Adventures.
================================================== ====================

Rienen
June 4th, 2008, 21:32
What not play with an "unsupported system"?
As I say this is not a bash D&D post, but I cannot see me ever playing it (I've got 1st, 2nd and 3rd Edition books thought might as well have 4th!)

I view it as a compulsive sickness that I have every generation of Forgotten Realms... (/ducks)

I guess it's just the world I first encountered, so I've been buying the books to "read up." I also went out and hunted down the complete set of Basic D&D and the old original books... like I said, a sickness.

Kinda like the need to keep buying Hirst Arts stuff even though I haven't cast anything in 6 months.