PDA

View Full Version : Running Host and Client on same machine.

spacce1889
May 11th, 2008, 18:39
I get the host open Ok, But everytime i try to open a client for players it crashes. do I need to install two copies on the computer to do this?

joshuha
May 12th, 2008, 15:29
Can you be more specific on your issue?

Are you saying you have a full license up on running on the GM machine but player lite license clients are crashing upon connecting?

spacce1889
May 15th, 2008, 06:06
I want to run both the host and the client on the same machine.
one form DMing and one for a second monitor or projector for players.

I Have a full and lite licence.
i tried installing into two folders. but still only one will hold the licence at once.

I can't seem to get both licensed and running on the same computer.

i put the licence in one and the next time i run the secound file i have to put its license in.

Foen
May 15th, 2008, 06:23
To run two instances on the same machine, you only need to install the Full licence once.

With a full licence installed:

launch FG and select Host a Game, take a note of the local IP address it displays
get the GM screen up and running
once your GM view is OK, launch the full version a second time
select Join a Game
you need to make sure that you change the login name (you cannot use the same login name in both GM and player instances)
type in your local network IP address (or just type localhost into the server box)

That should do the trick.

Cheers

Stuart

Oberoten
May 15th, 2008, 11:03
Or you could just use : 127.0.0.1 as the internal IP as well.

Griogre
May 15th, 2008, 17:53
Since you have two licenses, if someone in your group has a laptop or there is a second computer where you are playing you could also just install the lite version on the second computer and have that be the "players" computer too. That would let the players be a little more interactive so you wouldn't have to move everyone around yourself.

Jozie
May 16th, 2008, 15:48
Foen's answer from above has always worked for me in this setup.

Ghoti
May 25th, 2008, 23:16
To run two instances on the same machine, you only need to install the Full licence once.

Is running two instances, even on one machine, with the same license a valid use of the license though? Or does the full license also have a 'tacked on' lite license for these purposes?

Foen
May 26th, 2008, 03:59
I believe that running two instances on the same machine using a full licence is fine.

I think the licences are per user (non-transferrable) and per machine (one is needed for each machine, even for the same user), not per instance.

Stuart

grimm182
June 2nd, 2008, 16:15
Im pretty sure this is how my setup works. :)