PDA

View Full Version : Do I need internet?

tattoocory
May 9th, 2008, 10:53
ok, i orginally bought FG to play online with friends, but when they decided not to buy, I was stuck with the DM's version of FG, not to worry, i have a laptop and decided it would make an excellent program to use when I'm DMing at the table... call it my DM screen. Anyrate, I downloaded the upgrade for FG 2 on my computer when it came out, but when I tried to copy the files onto a thumb disk and move them to my laptop (because the laptop doesn't have internet and problem never will) and try to run FG 2, all i get is the error message that it couldn't unpack or whatever...

so do I need to have internet on my laptop in order to upgrade FG on that computer? If so, that sucks, or can I get all the files I need to transfer by thumb drive?

anyone follow what I'm asking? hope so, need help... thanks

Dachannien
May 9th, 2008, 14:37
FG also has registry settings that are created during installation, including two that indicate where certain files are on the hard drive. If you're just copying files over from another installation, these entries won't be created. If you know how to use regedit, you should be able to add these entries to the registry on the laptop if you look for them on another machine.

Sigurd
May 9th, 2008, 17:59
Honestly, internet connection gives you access to players around the world and program updates. It's not an absolute requirement but I'd say its a logical one.

Sigurd

Griogre
May 9th, 2008, 20:04
The FG2 installer requires a connection to the Internet to install files. Not a good thing for you in your situation, but a reasonable assumption by the developers for an application meant to be used over the Internet.

Once you have installed FG2 and patched it you would only need an Internet connection to get patches.

tattoocory
May 9th, 2008, 23:42
ok.. i've finally broke down and asked a friend who knows more about puters than I to put internet on my laptop so i can upgrade... i want to thank everyone for their advice, it helped me come to the conclusion if I want to enjoy FG the way I planned, then I need to fix laptop.

By the way, any DM's out there who haven't tried using FG as a screen when at the actual table, try it out, it works very well. At least the first one did for me, and I'm hoping FG2 will work out even better. I had to add a few things that the first FG didn't have, like some random tables and DM stuff, but once I did, it is a great way to save yourself from flipping though books, counting out lots of dice and adding it, ect. I know it was intended for online, but anyone developing additional stuff for FG2 I think there could be a good market for using the program the same way I do. heck, from what I understand Wizards is attempting something simular with 4th Ed. Just some thoughts.