PDA

View Full Version : My monsters don't work properly.

CB Droege
May 7th, 2008, 20:30
I've added some monsters to the .xml file that contains all of the default monsters. I used the existing monsters as a template for my new monsters, but they don't seem to work quite the same way.

When I copy a monster from the manual onto the battle record sheet, the monsters stats all come up fine for the original monsters and my own. The difference is that with the original monsters, I can just drag their die-rolls from the battle record onto the chat window to roll. I cannot do that for any of the monsters I added. Is there something else I need to do to get that to work properly?

CB Droege
May 7th, 2008, 21:43
Here's the code for one of the monsters I added, so you can see if I missed something in it.

<mongrelfolk>
<librarylink type="windowreference"><class>npc</class><recordname>..</recordname></librarylink>
<name type="string">Mongrelfolk</name>
<type type="string">Humanoid (Mongrelfolk)</type>
<hd type="string">1d8+2</hd>
<speed type="string">20 ft. (hide armor), base 30 ft.</speed>
<ac type="string">13 (+3 hide armor), touch 10, flat-footed 13</ac>
<babgrp type="string">+0/+0</babgrp>
<atk type="string">Club (1d6)or Sling (1d4)</atk>
<fullatk type="string">Club (1d6) or Sling (1d4)</fullatk>
<spacereach type="string">5 ft./5 ft.</spacereach>
<specialattacks type="string">none</specialattacks>
<specialqualities type="string">Emulate race, emulate sound</specialqualities>
<skills type="string">Hide +9, Slight of hand +9</skills>
<feats type="string">Endurance</feats>
<environment type="string">any</environment>
<organization type="string">Solitary, Group (2-4), larger groups have elders and guards</organization>
<treasure type="string">Standard</treasure>
<alignment type="string">Often Lawful Neutral</alignment>
<advancement type="string">takes PC classes</advancement>
<leveladjustment type="string"> - </leveladjustment>
<strength type="number">10</strength>
<dexterity type="number">11</dexterity>
<constitution type="number">14</constitution>
<intelligence type="number">9</intelligence>
<wisdom type="number">10</wisdom>
<charisma type="number">7</charisma>
<fortitudesave type="number">+2</fortitudesave>
<reflexsave type="number">+2</reflexsave>
<willsave type="number">+0</willsave>
<hp type="number">6</hp>
<init type="number">0</init>
<cr type="number">1/3</cr>
<text type="formattedtext">
<p>All of these creatures look different from one-another, the result of attempts to cross humanoid races which are normally incompatable. They are hideous and unintellegent creatures that live on the fringes of society. They often carry simple weapons and equipment based on the nearby settlements. Most Mongrelfolk in The Isles today are the reult of colonies of Mongrel folk, who are able to breed amongst themselves.</p>
</text>
</mongrelfolk>

Griogre
May 8th, 2008, 03:58
Your attack and full attack strings have to be done in a certain style with certain parameters. You don't have a to hit value in there. The string parser will work with most attacks and full attacks out of a MM stat block. The correct entries should be:

<atk type="string">Club +0 (1d6)or Sling +0 (1d4)</atk>
<fullatk type="string">Club +0 (1d6) or Sling +0 (1d4)</fullatk>

As a side note I'm not sure the 1/3 in CR will work but I don't think it will hurt either. You may need to enter it as a decimal, ie .33

CB Droege
May 8th, 2008, 04:46
Ah Ha! That was it. Thanks!

I guess I thought that was just extra reference text ;)

Also, you're right about the CR. It doesn't work right. If I enter less than 1 (fraction or decimal) it just shows up as 1 in the interface. I'm not worried about it however, as I don't really need that number on the fly (I didn't even notice that it wasn't showing up right).

Doswelk
May 9th, 2008, 11:13
Ah Ha! That was it. Thanks!

I guess I thought that was just extra reference text ;)

Also, you're right about the CR. It doesn't work right. If I enter less than 1 (fraction or decimal) it just shows up as 1 in the interface. I'm not worried about it however, as I don't really need that number on the fly (I didn't even notice that it wasn't showing up right).
You need a preceeding '0' so 1/3 is 0.33, 1/2 is 0.5 etc... (note if this does not work with CR I did not have access to FGII to test, it's just that's what you do in inventory)

Griogre
May 9th, 2008, 20:37
Typing 0.33 does work in a new personality. I don't have time right now to check if it works in a monster book.