PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here use PCGEN to make FG NPCs?

Sigurd
May 6th, 2008, 20:41
I'm curious if anyone has used the PCGEN output sheets with FG XML.

I'm just toying with the idea and would love to see a tutorial or some reflections on the process.

Anyone? Anyone?

Foen
May 6th, 2008, 22:30
I think it has been discussed. If I recall (and I haven't found the threads, so please forgive me) PCGEN originally had an FG1 export function, and an FG2 one was produced by the PCGEN community.

I believe there were two problems:

The PCGEN stuff can't be kept in sync, and there is no easy import other than cut-and-paste xml editing; and
Some PCGEN information isn't encoded but uses free-form text (spells spring to mind) so there was no clean way to convert them to FG2.

But then, I could have dreamed the whole thing...

Stuart

Shivadragon
May 8th, 2008, 17:39
that would be another awesome tool for GMs trying to run a fast/or not adventure/campaign =)

trevorgall
May 27th, 2008, 13:46
Here is one I found. With a slight amendment i made..as it was for a specific ruleset. It also adds spells.

You need to paste the resulting xml code into your db.xml file in your campaign folder, in between..the tags

<charsheet idcounter="9">
<id-00001>(the ID number can be 2,3,4 etc
....paste here )
</id-00001>

Sigurd
May 28th, 2008, 12:30
Thanks trevorgall.

Sigurd

Bidmaron
August 4th, 2008, 01:48
Just getting started running games, and I'd like to know more about the PCGen character sheet. The file you insert, is this a new character sheet akin to what PCGen would produce? How do you get the character data into the program from PCGen?
--Dale--

Griogre
August 4th, 2008, 19:23
You cut an paste the XML the converter generates into the XML of the campaign you are running or the local character list.

Bidmaron
August 5th, 2008, 00:27
Okay, Griogre. When I get my computer out of hock (had to send it in for repairs), I hope to get back to my XML converter program that builds xsl files to convert automatically. The first xsl will be to convert RPPXplorer to/from Fantasy Grounds. The next is to take a character from the local file to the db file and vice versa.
--Dale--