PDA

View Full Version : Manipulating The Dice Like Physical Objects

jburneko
May 6th, 2008, 20:09
Hello,

I'm very new to Fantasy Grounds so forgive my perhaps overly ambitious ideas. I realize that Fantasy Grounds is designed towards largely D&D and similarly tactically oriented games but I play a lot of RPGs that require manipulating the dice as physical objects and not just rolling them in a fire and forget manner.

I was wondering if a) Fantasy Ground can do this already or b) there are plans in the work to extend the program to handle this.

Things I want to do.

Roll 5d6 and have them stand hidden. Then be able expose three of them and reroll the other two. Then expose them at some point.

The ability to roll groups of the same size but different colored dice. Like 3 red d6, 2 blue d6 and 1 White d6.

The ability to roll a pool of mixed dice that sits on the table exposed to everyone and then gets expended like a resource. So I might roll 5d6, 3d10, 1d4 and the values stand but then on my "turn" I spend out the 3 I rolled on one of the d6s, a 7 on one of the d10s and 2 on the d4, leaving the rest of the dice untouched.

The ability to use a die as a simple counter simply sitting on the table exposed to all that can be turned to any value.

And of course all of these features in any combination.

So... do I ask too much?

Jesse

Brenn
May 6th, 2008, 22:04
I have ideas on how to do all of the above, whether they would work or not is another matter. I'm relatively new to FG2 modding (and what I did in 1 is long enough ago that I don't really remember it), but in what I've done with the scripting I can think of ways to possibly simulate all of the above- however it would be in the in chat dice (or a shared dice pool window, for the third suggestion) as opposed to the nice real looking rendered dice. I think that these things are doable, but be prepared to get deep into the Lua to accomplish them. The XML only gets you so far in FG, to really do stuff you have to script.

I'm definitely not an expert on the subject, but I don't think you are asking too much. In my experience so far, you can do a heck of a lot more in FG2 than you could in 1.

joshuha
May 12th, 2008, 14:51
Right now the virtual dice really serve as a medium to transfer the results of the dice into the chat window (or see them on the desktop). So right now things like exposing and what not would not make sense as their is no way to really "share" a dice result thats not an actual roll.

I can log it as a feature request and there are some plans for dice improvements but not sure if exposing will be able to be worked in.

jburneko
May 13th, 2008, 02:08
For what it's worth I realize that what threw me was the ability to actually physically roll the dice. I assumed that system had physics based rolling I should be able to do other physical things with the dice, such as manually turning them over, lining them up side by side, pushing them forward, etc.

After more in depth study of the xml and scripting system I see that internally you really can't do much with the dice other than roll them and read their value. I do, however, realize that I could roll the dice and then cache their results into a database field. I then would do all the operations I want based on widgets and windows built around those fields.

Jesse