PDA

View Full Version : Grid changes on zoomout

schierholz
May 3rd, 2008, 20:21
Does anyone know if it is possible to force the grid to stay the same size even when zooming out?

Griogre
May 4th, 2008, 00:54
You can lock token scale which will keep the grid size relative to a token. To do this the GM typically zooms in the map until a medium size token fits inside the grid. Then you right click on the token and select Lock Token Scale.

This brings up some important issues about token size vs. grid size. First while you can scale tokens on the fly you are far better having all your tokens made to a consistent scale. Next because you can't zoom a map out past it's max size (without distortion at least), you never want to have a square on a map scaled to larger than your token size. IE If you have 50 pixel square on a map you don't want 32 pixel square tokens for medium size - you'd have to scale up every token individually. You would find it much easier to have 32 pixel size squares on a map and 50 pixel tokens because you could zoom the whole map and lock the map scale to the tokens by locking the token scale.

Ideally you really want to be consistent on what size your tokens are and you want all maps scaled so their grid is the token size or less. This is because while you can scale the tokens up or down and zoom the map in it often looks bad if you do so.

Most people here use a 50 pixel square as a 5 foot square and medium size tokens you fit inside the square. Personally I use 32 pixels for a 5 foot square and medium sized tokens. This means I can show more of a map in the same area than someone using a larger scale but my tokens are smaller and not as “pretty.” It really doesn’t matter what scale you use just you be consistant.

schierholz
May 4th, 2008, 01:51
Thanks, that helps alot.

I was just scanning in hand drawn maps and they were just too large it seems. When I made the map smaller (by 75%) in paintshop pro the grid worked much better.