PDA

View Full Version : Q about Portraits.

Indivi_duel
April 28th, 2008, 16:27
Hi All,

Recently i've gotten my hands on the d20 modern srd and the online gaming token pack #4 both by digital adventures for fantasy grounds 2. but since im relatively new to the whole thing i have a question about how to use the portraits that came with the pack or with that Any pack.

i've been creating characters in offline mode and now i want to add a portrait to each charactersheet, but since there isnt any option for the portraits, neither in the Gm version of the game or the offline variant, to be used i wonder what i am doing wrong.

i hope you can help me out.

regards,

indi.

Griogre
April 28th, 2008, 21:44
First if you have not done so, you need to put your character portraits into FG2's portraits folder in the data app folder. You can find this by pressing Start > All Programs > Fantasy Grounds II > Data Application Folder. This will open the FG2 data app folder. You should see a portraits folder. Add all the portraits you wish in this folder. This makes these pictures available to be selected in FG.

Offline mode is meant to be used by players before a game. They are expected to log into a server and select a portrait. GM's are not expected to run PC's they are expected to run NPC's from the personality list(s) which do not have portraits, only tokens.

If these are you characters when you join a game then just select the local character and once you are in the server click on the portait button in the top right to select a portrait from the list (you may need to use the mouse wheel to scroll down if you have a lot of portraits).

If these characters are to be pregens for a game you are running you want to move the characters over to the server after giving them portraits. The easiest way to give a PC pregen character a portrait without editing any XML is to start the server as a host. Make a note of the local IP address, before you start the server. Next start another copy of FG as a player (you will need to change your login ID so it is different from the one you started the server with). Connect to the server using the local IP address. Now use the client to select the characters you want on the server. Once you have done that go up to the top right and pick a portrait. Keep doing this until you have all the pregens on the server that you want. Next close the client version of FG. On the server side open up the character selection list and right click on each one to Clear Owner (be careful this is the same menu that deletes the character off the server). Clearing the owner allows each character to be available to people logging in. Otherwise only the person with the ID who transfered the character to the server can see the character(s) - which is not what you want for pregens.