PDA

View Full Version : 1e class

Broadsword
April 24th, 2008, 19:42
Has anyone ever modernized the old 1e Assassin class that was dropped due to bad publicity? I have seen several "Uber" custom Assassin classes, but I havent been able to find a balanced, usable Assassin class based on the original.

Griogre
April 24th, 2008, 22:01
The Assassin is currently a prestige class in the DMG of the 3.x rules. The class is OK as a PC class I guess in certain campaigns. It's not a good NPC class because players tend to hate hearing, oh - well your character just died from the DM and there wasn't anything you could do - he made his roll. Of course, the class has always had this problem.

Broadsword
April 25th, 2008, 01:16
The 1e version was well done but limited level wise. With 2,3,and 3.5 feat expansions, the class could have been a good PC class. It was a good 1e class in those days, and the only class that promoted the "dark hero" theme. As a prestige class it is ok, but a bit uber IMO. I have seen several remakes of the class but those were also uber. As the antagonist to the paladin, the assassin made for interesting games and was only dropped in post 1e rules after the whole D&D=crazed Satanist=serial killer thing with the media.

Griogre
April 25th, 2008, 01:58
Honestly, the Assassin class never did much for me either way. I always felt the anti-paladin, Death Knights or the newer Blackguard was a better foil for paladins. I've never been that fond of "state of mind" classes like the Assassin or Barbarian. I mean, what is unique about an Assassin?

"Uh, I kill stuff."
"Oh, Ok you mean like every other class in the book?"
"No, no - I assassinate them."
"But couldn't any other class assassinate people too?”
“Well, I guess – but not with as much *style*…”

I do think the class can help set a tone or mood, I mean it says a fair amount about the players, style of campaign and group if I said the current set of players in the game are running 3 assassins. I do agree they dropped them at least partly over the D&D Satanic worshiper stuff – but on the other hand they weren’t that useful unless you were running an evil campaign (which they also were discouraging) or you didn’t mind dropping PCs with no saving throws.

Yeah, most prestige classes are broken – they never did really figure out how to balance them well – which is why they got rid of them in 4th Ed, IMHO.

Broadsword
April 25th, 2008, 13:28
I have to agree the assassin calss wasnt much use, lol. The "anti" classes were more useful. I find I enjoy trying to role play the lesser used classes, which tends to be the appeal with the assassin class. I find I get far less enjoyment playing a commonly used PC. Everyone kows exactly what you will do from moment to moment. I guess it is kind of an underdog thing....

In a way I am glad there wont be any "Prestige" classes in 4e. There just wasnt any way to keep the game realistic(if this game can be realistic). I just hope they add more balanced character options to break the monotany of the "run of the mill" PC's (no offense to anyone who enjoys the commonly used classes).