PDA

View Full Version : Social Networking for VT Gamers

FlatNineSharpFive
April 23rd, 2008, 09:05
Pixels & Polyhedrons (https://pixelsandpolyhedrons.ning.com/) is like myspace or friendster for roleplaying afficianados who use virtual tabletops. Hook up with new players or old friends, organize your play sessions, and discuss your games.

philth
April 23rd, 2008, 15:56
neat concept,but I already have to many boards that I'm trolling on a daily basis

FlatNineSharpFive
April 24th, 2008, 19:53
You should check it out. Already we're up to 34 members, storygamers all.

VenomousFiligree
December 6th, 2009, 20:43
I've only just come accross this site, it shouldn't be allowed to die!

unerwünscht
December 6th, 2009, 21:19
Is it actually dying? If so, I can contact them and offer them a life raft of sorts.

VenomousFiligree
December 6th, 2009, 21:23
Dying as in no one is using it.

unerwünscht
December 6th, 2009, 23:05
Well, I have a theory about that, and my theory extends to FUM as well.
Running a niche social network is a great idea, however micro niche's are way to small to make the first jump to. You need a larger niche established first, before you can truly build a micro niche. At this point in the game micro niches are only hurting the market.

Take our site for example, it's still a niche social network, but we cater to a MUCH larger group of people. The advantage to that is that as our site grows we will be able to bring more people into the VTT world, as we pull gamers of all varieties and then expose them to new things.

GamingArmy was VERY rocky at first, but now hat we have switched to the new platform we are growing, slowly but surely. I have for various reasons been watching the traffic on other sites like FUM, and DnD Online Games, and they are all dying a slow and painful death. However there is light at the end of the tunnel. We purposely designed GamingArmy's new platform with assimilation in mind. I have no desire to actually buy anyone out, nor shut anyone down, however I believe that we could build a bigger brighter future if we all just worked together.

ProfMarks
December 6th, 2009, 23:09
What a great site. I will sign up over the next couple days and I do hope it doesn't lose it's community. Feeling the same excitement I did when Savage Worlds online went live, great site with a lot of potential, but the spark didn't turn into a fire there.

With rpg gaming being niche, and online vtt gaming being even more so, I think spreading the community out ends up frustrating folks. If nothing else, the FGII calender and forums keep the community together.

tenkar
December 7th, 2009, 02:57
Signed up... I'll kick the tires and see how it goes.

DeeJ
December 9th, 2009, 17:15
Yep me too... all signed up.
Looks cool!
DeeJ :)

drahkar
December 10th, 2009, 13:10
I just don't see the draw. Sorry, guys. I'm heavily focused on FGII as a platform and everything I need or could want is very much right here. There are a few official places that have spread out for FGII like the facebook page and the like, but I still think I like and plan to work on keeping things here primarily.

Perhaps a thought though, is the possibility of an affiliate system for the FGII site. An API that would allow the sale of products through various third party sites and having people able to interface the game calendar system based off a site id? That would keep this as a central point and still let people do their own things as well.

Cearlan
December 10th, 2009, 21:46
Signed up.

As for drahkar's post if you are happy enough here then fair enough. I on the other hand like the variation of members from different groups / sites / whatever though. Some members here are not on other sites and vice versa.

My own opinion is that we should all be working together, but some people I know simply do not like it here, or some other sites may cater to their particular prefferences. Their dime, their choice at the end of the day.

unerwünscht
December 10th, 2009, 22:07
I just don't see the draw. Sorry, guys. I'm heavily focused on FGII as a platform and everything I need or could want is very much right here. There are a few official places that have spread out for FGII like the facebook page and the like, but I still think I like and plan to work on keeping things here primarily.

Perhaps a thought though, is the possibility of an affiliate system for the FGII site. An API that would allow the sale of products through various third party sites and having people able to interface the game calendar system based off a site id? That would keep this as a central point and still let people do their own things as well.

Well a good portion of the reason people broke off from the main site to other sites is the original owners of Fantasy Grounds were very good at playing favorites with some members of the community. To the point that if you spoke out against Smite Works or other key members of the community you would quickly find your account banned. It was one rule for us another for them.

This however does not look like it will be the case with the new owners. It looks as tho everything will be ran in a fair and level handed way from now on.

I would like to point out however that by limiting things to this one site, you will limit the growth potential of the application. By its nature Fantasy Grounds needs new players to generate new sales, and it needs new sales to warrant new features. Thus moving a community to someplace like GamingArmy or FUM will expose new people to the application and hopefully convince them to buy the application.

ddavison
December 10th, 2009, 23:36
I think it is cool that various groups have spun off and are now doing their own thing. I hope to improve upon the community features here but that will probably wait until after I port things over to the new site. The idea of enabling hooks for other sites to call into is pretty good though. I will keep that in mind as I work on the upcoming site.

VenomousFiligree
December 11th, 2009, 06:20
With the release of the Ultimate License and the soon to be released individual floating licenses then these sort of sites are essential for the growth of FG.