PDA

View Full Version : License Question

Mulsiphix
April 18th, 2008, 00:12
If I purchase six Lite licenses, how does my group use them? Are these something that I can use like Klooge, ie people can connect to me if I purchased a license or am I literally giving these away. By purchasing six only six other people will be able to play with me. To play with six new players will I have to purchase six additional lite licenses?

Sorontar
April 18th, 2008, 00:53
In the FAQ (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/faq.php?faq=license_and_purchasing_issues#faq_lice nse_1)

Hope this helps

PS:tbh you're doing all the work make the players buy their own copies or give you a share of any bundle. Then they can take them away and play in other games. You only have to worry about your own license then.

Mulsiphix
April 18th, 2008, 02:09
I'm sad to hear it =(

Mulsiphix
April 18th, 2008, 05:07
Are there a lot of people that have purchased Fantasy Grounds II? Will it be difficult to find other D&D players who already have FG licenses?

Note: Sorry to double post but I wanted to make sure this question was seen.

Valarian
April 18th, 2008, 13:00
Not just D&D ... in the last year, I've run Babylon 5, Traveller T20, Savage Worlds and soon to embark on Conspiracy X. All run on FGII. From what I've seen, there's always more players than GMs on the board. Do post the time zones though when advertising games, as FGII users are dotted all around the world. I've found that this website (https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedform.html) is useful when publishing times. You enter your own game time, and people can see the time in their own time zone.

I hear what you're saying regarding floating licenses ... it's been a hotly debated topic for a while.
See: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3439

Griogre
April 18th, 2008, 19:32
Are there a lot of people that have purchased Fantasy Grounds II? Will it be difficult to find other D&D players who already have FG licenses?

Note: Sorry to double post but I wanted to make sure this question was seen.
Take a look at the Guild Hall Messageboard and what the turn over of the front page is to see how many players are looking for games. However, it you want to run a popular system as a GM at at time where most people in the America's or Western Europe can play you won't have a problem finding players. As always there are more players than DM's. You may need to go through a certain number of players to find ones that show up and enjoy your game - but there are many many players on the Internet - if one player doesn't like your game you can usually find another to replace him pretty fast.

Mulsiphix
April 18th, 2008, 21:20
My main concern is this. What if I purchase some lite licenses and end up giving one to a player who doesn't stick around for more than a few sessions. If I give another player that license key, and the player who left is playing FG with somebody else using that same key, is the key black listed or banned? Or does the limitation only cover two people using the same key in the same game?

Sorontar
April 18th, 2008, 23:49
My main concern is this. What if I purchase some lite licenses and end up giving one to a player who doesn't stick around for more than a few sessions. If I give another player that license key, and the player who left is playing FG with somebody else using that same key, is the key black listed or banned? Or does the limitation only cover two people using the same key in the same game?

First point of that FAQ bit.

Are you buying just so people can play your game who you don't know or is this for a group you know. If your buying lites just so you can attract players I'd say don't waste your money bud, seriously you will find players.

I'm sure Smiteworks would be mighty miffed if you started to spread lite licenses all over the place as well.

I respect peoples decision to buy for a group but IMO it should be the players who stump up the cash for the DM as they provide a service. When I first started PnP we used to buy the DM a RP related gift if they completed a campaign.

Mulsiphix
April 19th, 2008, 01:31
That is awesome you used to buy the DM a RP related gift. Very cool. Yeah I didn't feel right about handing them out to everybody. I just wasn't sure if I would be able to find players that easily. I plan for my games to be very VOIP heavy so I worry about finding a group of people I can understand, not to mention who enjoy gaming with each other. I'll only bother buying my wife and I a GM license. After that I'll leave it up to the players :). Thank you for all the feedback guys. I really appreciate it.

Sorontar
April 19th, 2008, 01:53
Well you're stateside so I don't think you'll have too much of an issue, you may want to check the Four Ugly Monster forums as well as I believe they are a good source of news for games etc.

Happy gaming ;)

Griogre
April 19th, 2008, 09:34
In Texas (and running at conventional times) and looking for D&D I don't think you will have much problem finding players. The only wierd thing with D&D right now is that with 4th ed comming out soon I suspect some DM's interested in it are avoiding starting something new long term.

I think the majority of games use VoIP now. It greatly speeds combat. However there is a minority who deeply feel you get better imersion with typing only games. My experience is there is some truth in that, but if you VoIP for combat and OOC and use typing for "in character" you get a good compromise.