PDA

View Full Version : Sword And Quill Returns: Tuesday games in USA Timezones.

Robin Shirewood
April 17th, 2008, 02:00
Hello All, Robin's back again for another go. After the last game attempt fell apart due to people simply not showing up:mad: .... I decided to take some time doing solo gaming.

Now... the Sword and Quill returns....

*ahem* GM seek's Four mature players who can WITHOUT DOUBT log on to game at some point on Tuesday of the Week (time is up for debate, but afternoon prefered)

What is Sword and Quill you ask? ... well.... just look down.

Robin Shirewood
April 17th, 2008, 02:14
Prologue:-----------------------------------------------------------------
*You stir and awaken to the sounds of conversation and music and the smell of food, a stark contrast to the damp soil where you laid your head to rest. Leaning up, you find yourself infront of the fire-place of a large, very impressive looking tavern. The polished stone floor is lined in places with thick, soft pelts while fancy chandilers above hold dancing magical lights. All around, a minagire men and woman populate the tables, feasting on any and all imaginable sorts of food and drinks. From Regal, stately looking knights to aged looking wizards... bearing all sorts of marks, insignia's and scars.
In one corner, a single being sits at a table alone.... as if sensing your gaze, he looks to you and beckons you to him... a simple guesture which you feel compeled to obey.
It is strange to look upon him.... as you are not entirely sure if he is human or elven.... if he is of fair or dark skin... and there are moments that you feel he is not there at all. Still, an ease settles around as you sit across from him and he smiles warmly*

"Greetings, Adventurer. Oh, you seem concerned.....Do not worry, you are perfectly safe, I promise. We couldn't help but notice you out and about in the world and thought perhaps you were overdue for a few of the comforts in life. Ah... you were in the midst of something? No need to fret... when all is said and done, we will be more than happy to set you back where you were...or anywhere else you would like to go.... and it will be as though you never left.

Where are you? Oh, I do apologize, where are my manners... allow me to welcome you to my humble abode... "The Sword and Quill". Oh, you have heard of it, I see....Yes... THAT 'Sword and Quill'.... The Inn of heroes and legends... that appears and disappears all across the lands of Ayden to those who make their own mark upon it. But it saddens me that people do seem to forget that we also serve food here. Me? Well, if you must know: I am called by many names, but known by none... I suppose the people of your land refer to me as 'The Nameless Bard'. I am a....collector of sorts.

Oh, you may stay and rest for as long as you like.... time moves differently here compared to outside of the inn.... If you are hungry or thirst, you need only ask. I ask for one thing in return though. Heh, put your coin purse away, adventurer.... all I require is a tale. A simple story....

Your Story....

So spin your tale for me, Adventurer.... add it to my collection as I extend my hospitality...and have it heard heard and known as the ages past.... "

Annoucement------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sword and Quill is my personal Campaign Setting for Dungeons and Dragons 3.5, and after much debate as to the tool to spread it, it comes to Fantasy Grounds, very likely the finest Internet Table Top tool avalible.
The word is out and the call is made for an exploration and adventure of this new world... first come, first serve.
Four spots are opened for this game, and only those who are ABSOLUTELY certain they can attend vast majority of games need apply (Emergencies do happen once in a while...but when only 1 out of the party arrives to the second session, I begin to lose faith)

You can either apply by posting here, or you may contact me Via AOL Instant messenger or MSN Instant messenger under the name [email protected] which serves also as my E-mail address... please lable any E-mail attempts as 'Fantasy Grounds: Sword and Quill'.... as I have a habit of deleting any unfamiliar addresses.

Robin Shirewood
April 17th, 2008, 02:15
Rules-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All characters start out at level 3.... you are allowed all mundane equimpent someone of your class would be expected to have, normal starting money, and ONE minor magical item to be approved by the GM (aka, Me...The Nameless Bard). The more creative your backstory, the more I am likely to let you get away with. If you require any information about the world, do not hesitate to ask via Forum entry, Email, or IM.

Any Class is allowed EXCEPT for Psions. This includes base classes in 3.5 source and suppliment books. I will need to verify it online if I do not own the book itself, so please cite your source.

I have five house rules which are as follows:

1: Training- The world is filled with skilled people, so Trainer and expert NPC's are capable of passing their knowledge along to the PC's at points thoughout the game. Some might require only monitary recompensation, while others might offer training instead of stadard rewards for quests. Typically, training will grant either a skill bonus (between +1 to +5), making a cross class skill into a class skill, or giving extra feats to a PC. For the purpose of training under different mentors, you will not gain a bonus from a second mentor unless they are superior in their craft to your first mentor.These bonuses do not stack with each other Also, class specific feats cannot be learned though training without meeting the requriements for these feats.

2: Firing into Melee- For ranged fighters who shoot into melee's mixed with hostiles mixed with friendlies, you have an option. You can either take a -2 penalty to your attack roll to avoid your allies, or you can take a shot without penalties. But a roll of natural 5 or less, you strike an ally for regular damage. (this was added to my personal rule set due to a certain group who needed to be humbled)

3: Leveling Up New School: My approach to leveling is very much video-game inspired. When you reach your leveling requirement, you may level up the next time you sleep in a safe place for 8 hours. This can happen even in the middle of an adventure so you do not have to wait for the end of the current game session. When this happens, the game marches on while the player is leveling his character with the GM puppeting him/her until the level up is complete. (this may or may not be needed depending on how well players can multitask with Fantasy Grounds...but the option is open.

4: The EXP Grind: Experience points are awarded immediately after obstacles are overcome, with bonus EXP given for Laugh Points, Excellent Roleplay, and Creativity. Thus, it is important to keep a tally of your exp as you are capable of leveling up at nearly any time in game (assuming you can rest in a reasonalbly safe place). Also, you are allowed once per adventure to spend Experience (No less than 1000 experience) in exchange for a burst of intuitive insight into the plot, a puzzel, or a clue as to how to overcome a specific obstacle.

5: Class Prestige: While any base-class can be multi-classed into at any time, you require some inspiration / teacher / mentor in order to break into a prestige class. Given advanced warning as to what is wished, these characters will be introduced...but you do not have to always wait until your next level up to gain the class. At times, you are allowed to 'ret-con' your levels when you are brought into a prestige class, exchanging your last level for a level of the new prestige class... for example: Elan is an 11th level Bard... when cut off from his party during an adventure, he meets Capt. Julio Scoundrel, the Dashing Swordsman. Taken with Elan's enthuiasm and natural charisma, Capt. Scoundrel takes the bard under his wing and, in route to the Party's location, teaches Elan the ways of the Dashing Swordsman. Elan is now a 10th level Bard / 1st level Dashing Swordsman, ready to save the day (and the love of his life) when he finds his friends in a bind.
Once set, the new level in the prestige class is permenent... so you cannot change classes constantly... you can only turn a level of your base class into another base class or a new prestige class. This process MUST also be RPed...

Races:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The world of Ayden is somewhat different from your standard D&D setting.... the following are the avalible sentient races for Players... including all classic starting races and two new comers unique (as far as I know) to Sword and Quill.

Human: The most populous of the civil races, humans control most kingdoms in the Waking West and are the norm against which all other races are measured. they are extremely diverse in personality and appearance. Humans can occupy any position in the world, worship nearly any deity, and come from all walks of life and almost every corner of the lands.
Stats: As Players Handbook

Elf: Elves are an elder race who often debate that they, and not the Dragons, are the most ancient of races. They claim that all truely civil races; the humans, gnomes, and halflings come from degrated elven stock. (they believe dwarves were born of rock.... while all monsterous races decend from their hated Savage Orcish rivals) Often arrogent to a fault, these long lived beings tend to see themselves as the most sophisticated of life-forms. This leads to almost constant strife among one insulted peoples or another. While indivudual elves may be detached from their people, the elven Kings tend to be VERY confrontational with what they consider to be 'lower-races'. Currently, the Elven Kings of the eastern Woods are locked in a struggle in the East with the atrociously impolite Halflings (it is rumored the conflict started when a halfling envoy belched aloud at an elven banquet.) this often brings them into conflict with the Mixed Leadership of Truce, who keeps the elves at arm's length, viewing them as spoiled children

Dwarf: The Dwarves are the foremost artisans and craftsmen of the world. Their steel and mithral work is almost as sought after as their mighty warriors. They have colonies in most mountian ranges in the waking west, but their greatest halls are located in the northern mountains of Ayden. Typically, the Dwarven thanes are content with their halls and mines and protect them viciously from invaders.Young Dwarven mercenaries looking for fortune and fame are commonly seen outside the mines, although few settle outside of their mountain homes once their wanderlust fades and they have accumulated enough wealth to live out as they wish.

Halfling: Although small in size, halflings are notoriously vicious fighters and loyal companions to those who earn their trust. Thier outriders maintain peace in the fertile planes to the south of Truce which borders the Eastern Wood on two sides. Normally merry and easygoing, the halfling communities have engaged elven soldiers on occassion, although deny that they are truely at war with the Elven communities. Halflings often pride themselves on their agricultural abilities, growing food that is the envy of farms across the west. They have an often undeserved reputation as theives and pickpockets due to the tendency of young city-halflings to take up those trades. Some of the finest theives in the land ARE halflings.... but they are also among the finest alchemists, farmers, and cooks.

Gnome: Gnomes are something of an paradox in the world.... small of stature, yet surprisingly powerful in the civilized world. Gnomes share a place with Dwarves as the artisans of the world... but they also often control large fortunes due to their great business sense and shrewed merchantile tactics. Although more at place in a vault-house or money-changer desk than in combat, younger or particularly adventurous gnomes often take up their lives in order to gain valuable contacts and 'real-world' experience for their later years rather than to make large fortunes in their time adventuring.
Stats: As Players Handbook (Addition: Diplomacy: -4 against civil kobolds)

Robin Shirewood
April 17th, 2008, 02:17
Damn word limit...okay....here's the rest of it.

Half-Elf: Half-Elves, like half-orcs, are often more with curiosity than with suspicion. They are oddities in the minds of some, but so common that they are generally accepted as a 'race' even when they are an obvious mixing of two legitamite sentient races. Half-Elves often take after whichever parent they are raised with. Also, on occassions, half-elves will marry eachother and their children will in turn inherit both sides of their heritage. Half-elves have shown no disernable behavior patterns or class choices.

Half-Orc: Often treated with prejudice and constant suspicion.Half-Orcs are commonly the product of a human woman being forcibly taken by a male orc. Some see them as extentions of orc-kind that can be controlled for struck out at while the savage full blooded orcs can not be. They can be the embodiment of their savage stereotype, or they might be more human than those who strike out at them.

Goblin (Civil): Some centuries ago, certain tribes of goblinoid with particularly visionary cheifs entered the city of Truce to join the society that goblinoid kind had often attempted to prey upon. After many years of compromise and hardships, these 'Civilized goblins' were granted the same rights as other sentient races. Although even after all these years stereotypes given them by their wild cousins endure among the human citizens, some goblins have managed to advance into various fields, becoming merchants, artisans, even a few scholars and wizards. They have also been hailed as master animal trainers for those that follow their shamanistic roots (Ranger or Druid class). Unfortunately, many have also degraded into the beggar's pits and ghettos of urban civilization, with many finding their callings as theives and thugs, their natural inventiveness making many of them skilled with mechanical locks and such.
Goblinoid tribes have broken down into various family systems, most taking up human faiths and customs for their own. Also, the improved healthcare, cleanliness, and food have shown their effects over generations, making civil goblins physically more stable and astetically appealing.
Goblinoid speech often either has a neutral accent, or maintains a bit of original goblin tone (Real World equivilent: Russian)
Stats:
-1 Strength, +2 dexterity, -1 Charisma
Size: Small, +1 AC (Civil Goblins of the most recent generations have lost their racial back-hunch and normally stand the same size as a halfling.) +2 Hide, -2 grappling
Racial: +4 Hide, -4 grappling, +3 Disable Device
Base Speed: 30
Low-Light Vision: 60ft
Racial: +4 Move Silently, +4 Riding
Favored Class: Rogue

https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d165/Robin4242/CivilGoblin.jpg
(Civil Goblin Wizard)

Kobold (Civil): During the first Truce Council, the Dragons invited members of every civilized race to represent their kind and offer a universally accepted standard of civilized sentient races as opposed to monsterious races. Among the invited were the kobolds, whom the dragons shared a distant relation. Although none of the representitives present expected the nasty little lizard-dogs to come, many (espeically the Elven envoys) were downright insulted when the Dukar'ka Kabold Clan arrived and attended negotiations. The great Dukar'ka wished to reclaim his people's status as Dragon-Cousins and though cunning diplomacy and force of personality, won the approval of the majority of the envoys (although even after all of these centuries, they still have a mutual dislike and mistrust with Gnomes.) Civil Kobolds are often easy to distinguish from their feral cousins on sight, taking deep pride in their draconic heritage and keeping themselves as clean and well kept as practically possible, often dressing in the finest clothes they can afford. With the exception of their universal rivalry and ancestrial hatred of gnomes, they have assemilated well as a race into society, filling many positions from common laborer to diplomats to wizardly careers. Using their dragon-heritage, many Civil kobold take a liking to magic, perfering the schools of illusion, divination, and conjuration. However, they often have tended to lose their racial intrest in deep places and are no more at home underground than most halflings or humans.
Civil Kobolds have all but abandoned the worship of Kurtulmak, instead revering their dragon-cousins and in particular the Dragon God-King of Truce: Bahamut, as their spiritual guide.
Kobold speech often retains the yappy, barky dialect in both Common and Draconic that is shared among savage-kobolds due to a physical speech impediment that is nearly impossible to overcome. They are known to be reduced to barks and yips when frustrated or angered. (much to the amusement of many less than kind companions)
Stats:
-4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 charisma
Size: Small: +1 AC. (Kobolds are the smallest of the Civil races, often standing a head shorter than even gnomes or halflings.) +4 Hide, -4 grappling.
Base Speed: 30ft
Low-Light Vision: 60ft
Racial skills: +2 Craft (choosen craft), +2 Spellcraft, +2 Concentration -4 Diplomacy (against gnomes only, due to racial rivalry),
Racial Abilities: +1 Natural AC
Favored Class: Sorcerer OR Wizard

https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d165/Robin4242/Kobold2.jpg
(Civil Kobold Adventurer)

Do remember... the more creative the backstory, the more you are likely to get away with.

Robin Shirewood
April 17th, 2008, 02:26
Also, Introduced for the first time in Sword and Quill as a Player Character Race: The Lycian.

More stats on the Lycian will follow in the next day or two... but the basic rundown is this:

Lycians: (Lie-Cee-an-es) A nomadic, gypsy like lycanthrope culture that usually form large caravans for self protection. Most wear collars or some form of silver charm as a sign of their affliction.
Lycians are incredibly powerful creatures... however they also suffer from major detriments on both social setup (Due to an infectious nature, Lycians are often kept out of claws reach from other mortals, who fear the still contagious genetic disease that created them in the first place.

Lycians play like Monster Manual 3.5 lycanthropes (wolf, bear, tiger, rat, all are known and freely mingle in the Lycian Caravans) except that they are in full control of their hybrid forms and change at will into them a total number of (1 + Wis Mod + Character level) per day.
While this may seem a huge advantage, the second-class citizen nature of the lycian makes life hard at the best of times and many things that normal folk take for granted is all but impossible. And just as well, EVERYBODY knows exactly how to kill a Lycian, as their blood allergy to silver is all but legendary and can burn them with a mere touch to the fur.

(exact stats and a more detailed history by this weekend.)

Robin Shirewood
April 17th, 2008, 02:30
The World of The Sword and Quill:

The world of the Sword and Quill, known by it's inhabitants as Ayden, is the home of my personal campaign and as such is an evolving work to be hammered out on the Gaming Table. The divine hierarchy of each area is different, and by crossing the boarders of your God's cultural base home-realm on the material world tends to make the connection to the divine you worship much more tenuous.

Regions: The world is seperated by cultural boundries and are govern by massively diffirent systems of government and theocratic structures.

The Waking West: The Focus of the game, and most all of the introductory chapers will take place on the continent known as the 'Waking West'. This is the traditional western fantasy world that is standard in D&D.It's borders are South of the SkyTeeth Mountains, West of The Jagged Wall to the Sarguine Sea, and North of the Nargamusaki (Tiger's Tail River)

The Shimmering South: A prosperous Oriental Style culture ruled by Shoguns, Dymio's, and Lords. Home of many magical and philosophical advances as well as exotic creatures. It is the smallest of the four regions, made up of a narrow mainland stretching from sea to sea east to west and south from the Nargamusaki, which seperates it from both the savage East and the Waking West; as well as a chain of islands off shore to the south. (This is the assumed home of most Monk and Eastern Philosophy type orders)

The Savage East: A harsh, barbaric land ruled by the strong. Thought to be the birthplace of the more savage races (orc's Goblins, Kobolds, ect) The creatures of this land are much more dangerous than anywhere else in the known world, although most Dragons tend to make it a point to avoid this place...unless they are on the run. It's borders are South of the Skyteeth, North of the Nargamusaki and east of the Jagged Wall to the Sea of Mists

The Ice Wastes: A frozen Tundra beyond the SkyTeeth Mountain range..... Mostly unexplored 'erringly' believed to be uninhabited.

The Lost Land: An Island Continent thought by many to be myth, it was supposedly the birthplace of magic. In the center of it, a massive crater marks the site of the 'First Spell', which supposedly tore the world ashunder when the power of Arcane and Divine collided with the natural world. It's location, if it exists at all, is unknown.

Cultures:

The Waking West is a broken land of kingdoms and diverse races, each with their own laws, customs, and governmental setups... With various Kings and Leaders vieing for land and power, the political landscape changes constantly. Four regions however stand out from all of the others.

-The City of Truce: (LG Metropolis ... Also known as the Dragon City, The City of Diplomacy, and the Birthplace of Society) Constructed surrounding a lone mountain in the East-Central portion of the Waking West, Truce is the largest City-State in the world, and it's authority is indisputible. A place of peace, Truce has a history as the site of treaties and beginning's of long standing friendships. Ruled by a council made up of Dragons, Cloud Giants, and the mortal races and reigned over by the Dragon God-King Bahamet. The only real Rival of Truce is Oberon's Domain.

-Oberon's Domain: (CN Mageocracy.... Also known as the Realm of Mages) A nation that values magical prowess over anything else. Oberon's domain is a cloistured nation, requiring that ANYBODY wishing entrance to either be a magically inclined, or give up an offering for a 'temporary' passport.... a peice of a dragon (bones, skulls, and disembodied claws are prefered). Oberon, the Sorcerer King, is the most powerful magic-user in the world, and several hundred years ago, attempted to forge the West into his own personal Empire. He would have succeeded had it not been for Bahamet and the Forces of Truce. Oberon's hatred of dragons is legendary.... and though he is considered a fair ruler by the mages in his domain, he considers those unable to weild magic 'unfit' of anything but servitude.

-Tyrancy of Caltus: (NE Monarchy) North of Oberon's domain. Caltus is a repressed nation built on the backs of slaves that undergoes massive upheavals on almost a yearly basis due to assassinations and a bloody battle of wits and politics among the ruling class. The current ruler is the self-proclaimed Tyrant Caruun Nobalisk, who though murder and subterfuge, worked his way up the ranks to the ruling place. This dangerous realm is held together with support from Oberon's Domain in an effort to keep Caltus as a buffer between the numerous hostile nations and the only geological entrace into the Domain, a pass though the magically created mountain wall that cuts the mageocracy off from the rest of the lands

-Narrun: (CG Marquessdom) Among a sea of feuding kingdoms and lorded lands, a rising star has been seen in David Xanatos... born a peasant, though wit, charm, and sheer will, he has somehow managed to not only overthrow the decadent former rulers of Narrun, but has succeeded in absorbing not one, but three neighboring lands into Narrun's boarders. Many believe that Marquess Xanatos (With Marquess being the highest rank one of ignoble blood can obtain without marrying into landed nobility) is the real deal... a good man with the strength of character to change the world. People are flocking under the banner of Narrun from all over the Waking West. The Common folk love him... while the landed lords and kings of the land fear Xanatos and what he may become.

All thoughout the west, there are many other interesting lands and individuals in the hands of elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, and others. Also scattered though the West are The Freelands, technically not a part of any nation's boarders and are considered by many to be wild frontier lands. Small pockets of civilization in the form of modest towns, towers, and personal keep dot the landscape. The Freelands also act as a buffer between many kingdoms. and act as a tax-and-toll free means of over land transport and Trading trails. The party will begin in these Freelands in the town of Calin, a modest city that acts as a hub in the Freelands, situated on the convergence of three seperate rivers.

Robin Shirewood
April 17th, 2008, 02:32
Characters to apply start at 3rd level and may intertwine your personal stories and histories to already know eachother (nothing bogs down a game like excessive introductions of PC's)

Stadard Point Buy method at 30 points.

Each character is also allowed one minor magic item to be determined by their story (as I've said before...the more creative your backstory... the more you can get away with.... No bags of holding please)

Robin Shirewood
April 17th, 2008, 02:35
Gods of the West:

Sol: The Sun Lord (LG, Domains: Good Healing, Strength, Sun) A primary human god, Sol has worshippers among almost all civil races. He is the Life-Tender and Gentle flame. Often seen as a regal human with flaming red hair.

Vayen: The Justice Lord (LN, Domains Destruction, Protection, Law, Strength) The God of Justice and Right-Doing. He believes the good should be rewarded and the wicked punished without mercy. Often seen as various races with golden hair in a full white body-armor

Wern: The Death Maiden (CN, Death, Chaos, Magic) The God of Passing. She protects the veil between life and death and guards the respected dead. Her great bane is Narve and his Undead. However, Wern is a dangerously unpredictable goddess... for she, like death itself, works without rhyme or reason. Often seen as a raven haired human or Elf in a grey shroud carrying a scyth.

Kiren: The Prankster (CN, Luck, Chaos, Trickery) The God of Rogues. Kiren is always trying to stay one step ahead of Vayen, who still seeks to judge him for crimes past. He prefers theives and rogues who avoid killing and do what they do for the thrill of it. Often depicted as a halfling in black leather armor.

Narve: The Lord of Undeath: (NE, Death, Evil, Trickery) The Lord of vampires and those who defy the eternal sleep.. Narve works constantly to undo the veil between life and death and bring the spectral world into the material plane.

Dyison: The War-King (CE, War, Evil, Death, Chaos) The Master of the Battlefield, Dyison revels in the blood and gore of battle. He is represented by a Blood Red Moon as is often seen as the epitomy of bloody chaos.

Demi-Gods:

Bahamet: The Dragon-God King of Truce. Although Mortal, Bahamet is revered by dragons and kobolds alike as a massia like figure. This supposedly grants him powers greater than any other Wyrm every known.

Oberon: The Sorcerer King. Oberon is the Master Mage of Ayden. The Guardian of Magic for mortals. As such, he is immortal, immune to aging and disease until another takes his place. In his youth, he was consumed by arrogence and a desire to conqure all of Ayden, but after being humbled in a titanic battle with Bahamut, he has withdrawn to his home, the Grand Spire, and remained reclusive...many believe he is merely biding his time, scemeing and plotting.

The Nameless Bard: Nobody knows exactly who the Bard is... and he does not have worshippers in the common sense. However, he seems to be almost all knowing and powerful in a sense. One thing is certain, nobody has ever been known to challenge him and aside from collecting Stories in his home at the Sword and Quill, he does not seem to intervene in the affairs of mortals.

The Fire Fox: Legends tell of the beast made of flames that is more fickle than the winds....more destructive than the mightiest storm... capable of great kindness and great savagry. This beast is known in all of the known world in one name or another... but in the Waking West... he is the Fire Fox. The embodiment of change and chaos... the Fox has existed since mortal records began...and is often seen before times of massive strife or change...both for better and worse. Few facts are known about the beast as every tale recounts a different perspective of the Fox. .
(This is by no means a comprehensive list of the dieties and powers, only the most prevelant greater beings. There are many quasi-powers and Cult Figures who also share a good deal of power.)

Blahness98
April 17th, 2008, 23:20
Man I remember your last attempt at this game. Kicked myself last time for not being able to join in. Depending on the time frame you setup, I may be able to join in.

Robin Shirewood
April 18th, 2008, 01:57
As of right now, I am availible all day on Tuesdays from about 8am to as late as 11pm on EST on the East Coast, to avoid confusion, that breaks down to

Central Time: 7am-10pm
Mountain time: 6am-9pm
Pacific Time: 5am-8pm

The biggest problem I've noted is schedualing to meet everybody, which was the doom of the last attempt I took at this game. It was a great team with good players...but only one or two guys could actually show up and be there.

So, gonna try and be more specific this time around.... even if it takes a little longer to get the gathering of players.

I would like 3 at least, although aiming for 4.... so if you can get 2 more players with similiar scheduals, we can all go for it.

Robin Shirewood
April 22nd, 2008, 01:57
Hmmm...I really thought this would get a better response.... is three people too many to ask for Tuesdays?
ANYBODY with intrest, please speak up. :(

Malken
April 22nd, 2008, 06:37
Actually this has peaked interest as soon as I read it, but unfortunetly, tuesday is not good for me.

Robin Shirewood
April 22nd, 2008, 11:47
Hmmmm.... I've gotten at least 8 PM's that say the exact same thing.... which only leads me Three possible conclusions.

1: My given day off from work SUCKS eggs....
2: Teh Internet grimlins are stealing my players...
3: It's time to break down.

*The Nameless Bard scratches the Tuesday only tile off of the door of the Inn and scribbles something new*

"Open Sundays"

Alright, I was trying to avoid it....but let's see what havok we can cause on that holiest of days of the week.

New Gaming Option: Sunday is open. Possible times for me range from about 9am to 10pm EST (East Coast, which is I believe GMT -5)

NOW who's up for it?

John_Geeshu
April 22nd, 2008, 14:57
Assuming you're Catholic. :)

Broadsword
April 22nd, 2008, 15:58
Very creative Robin. My congrats to you and the work you obviously put into this world. Keep me posted as to the majority's decision regarding time frame. If the times work I would be very interested.

PS Sunday is much more open time wise, Tuesday is doable but with restrictions on gaming time.

Robin Shirewood
April 22nd, 2008, 23:42
Let's see.... ideally, I would like to run sessions between 4 and 7 hours... as I tend to get really into things....but obviously not everybody is like me and has no other life :p

The time is up to you, the gamers....so by all means.... post your avalible times and we'll hammer something out. I can't really help here because under most circumstances I am home ALL day.

So by all means, character concepts and time restrictions for Sundays peeps :D

Also Geeshu... I'M not catholic, but my father was...but then again my mother was jewish...so how's THAT for askew parentage.

Robin Shirewood
April 23rd, 2008, 02:04
Limit 1 per party, and there is a chance that has already been taken by WorstedConch if he is still interested.

Lycians are a variation of the Monster Manual creature: Lycantrhope that is unique to the Sword and Quill Setting. It's stats and setup are as followed.
Since this is the first appearance of the Lycian on any medium, I am requesting the player who takes Lycian (male or female) remain of the Wolf Brood.

Starting Stats:
Humanoid Form: (wolf) +2 Strength, -1 intelligence, +1 Wisdom, -2 Charisma
Size: Medium
Racial: +4 survival, +2 Knowledge: Nature, +4 intimidate, -4 diplomacy, -2 Bluff (Physical cues not unlike natural wolves tend to betray a Lycian's true intention)
Racial Feat: Scent, Tracking
Racial Special Ability: Regeneration/5, Hybrid Form.
Base Speed: 40
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hybrid Form:(wolf) +4 Strength, -2 intelligence, +2 Wisdom, -4 Charisma
Size: Large (-1 AC due to size)
Racial: +6 Survival, +2 Knowledge: Nature, +6 Intimidate, -6 Diplomacy, -4 Bluff (Physical cues are even easier to read in this mode.)
Racial Feat: Scent, Tracking, Diehard (automatic feat when in Hybrid form)
Racial Special Ability: Regeneration/7
Base Speed: 60

Favored Class: Barbarian

Drawbacks:
The Dreaded Silver: Silver in any form (even the popular silver coin) is dangerous to a Lycian. On touch, the dreaded metal burns a lycian's skin reguardless of his form (1d4 per round of contact) while weapons guilded with silver deal an extra 1d8 on top of normal damage. Of all injuries, only those caused by silver refuse to be healed by the Lycian Regeneration ability.
The worse part is.... this fact is common knowledge...even the most ignorant of folk, those who have never seen a Lycian before (and those are rare) know of how to kill them.

Second Class Citizens: Although the Truce Council has declared Lycians a civil race, few among the populus agree with them.
All (with few exceptions) NPC's who interact with a Lycian immediately start as either unfriendly or hostile rather than indifferent. Some townships will not even allow a Lycian entry past the gates, while in some towns they are allowed in, they cannot easily employ the services of craftsmen, shopkeepers, or innkeepers. (This can be due to either fear, hostility, or sheer desire for the individual Lycian to leave)

Lycanthropy: Although not as dangerous as the first generation of Lycanthropes, their ancestors, Lycians are still unfortunately carriers of the disease that caused them to be hunted when their broods were first formed. Whenever a Lycian strikes with natural weapons (Claws or Teeth) the GM makes a secret Roll (d20) to determine if the injury is a carrier threat... on a roll of Natural 1, The victim must make a Fortitude Save (DC 16) or contract Lycanthropy. These Lycanthropes are normal until their first full moon.... when the curse takes hold and turns them into mindless monsters. Unlike Lycians (who are born with the affliction) Lycanthropes cannot control their hybrid forms...and cannot access their disease when their human minds are in control. Under normal circumstances.... Lycanthropes are executed upon discovery by decapitation to prevent a much more dangerous spread of the disease. (Lycanthropes have a 1 in 5 chance of spreading Lycanthropy as opposed to a Lycian's 1 in 20)
As far as anybody knows, This disease is ONLY trasmittable though clawing and biting, other contact and even things such as sexual contact or fluid exchange have never been recorded to infect (Although there are those who will swear up and down that a Lycian can infect others just by looking at them or being in close proximity)
On rare occassions, Lycians have even sired or mothered children with other races, although reguardless of the other party of the union, the child is always Lycian of the same brood as the lycian parent.

Two safety measures are in place due to this... firstly the 'Collar' protocal that requires all Lycians in company of other races wear some method of identification.... most often collars or bracers... in the open that declare their nature and brood. These items are required to have some small peice or ordination that is made of silver (As such, silversmiths are required in most areas to give Lycians a hefty discount on jewelry or other such works. (The phrase "Bought the Lycian silver" is oft used as a referal to buying something one doesn't really want, but has to have)
The other measure are thick leather gloves...which many inns and shops require lycians wear before coming into such an establishment. (once again, the variations of the term "Taking off the Gloves" refers to Lycians looking for or goaded into fights removing them as a sign of hostile intent.
Although the wearing of gloves is the full discretion of store keepers, the Collar Protocal is heavily enforced and some areas are still known to dole out 'summery punisment' if a Lycian is found willfulling hiding what he is.
Lycians themselves are immune to infection from different broods of lycian.

The Lycian Orgins:
(TR= By Truce Reckoning, the roll of years measured by the founding of the City of Truce in 0 TR)

-423 TR: The first case of lycanthropy occured when a series of spells designed to grant humanoids animal characteristics went horribly wrong... the effects and specimens escaping and infecting entire villages. At first out of control, those carrying lycanthropy were quickly put to the blade,... weather they were feral pure-bloods or innocent infected. Several groups of like blooded lycanthropes (later forming the original Broods and Caravans) banded together in hopes of survival and lived in a constant nomadic state to prevent their complete annialation. Over time, lycanthopy altered itself from being a magical disease to creating a new sub-species and culture of the Lycians. (Lie-See-AN'es)

322 TR: At the 46th Truce Council, the long debated status of Lycian's was decided.... and while Lycian's born with their genetic lycanthropy were granted status as Civil....the monsters still produced by the intentional or unintentional spread of the still infectious disease were not....as those not born with the 'Beast Blood' rarely could control their moon-induced transformations. While active Lycian hunting has ended, the Lycian's remain a nomadic people as nobody wishes them for neighbors. However life has improved as they were now able to trade and take part in other benifits of society, such as rights to property. However, in order to keep an outbreak from again making them hazardous, all Lycian's are required to wear some mean's of identifying their nature. Those discovered willfully hiding their condition or often summerily executed.

Lycian Caravans:
The Caravans are mobile communities made up of various broods that tavel together for mutual protection and survival. With some of the larger caravans numbering as many as 1200 Lycians, the nomatic tendency both keeps them from becoming percecuted for staying in another's space for too long and keeps the bellies of the caravan sated as remaining in a single place too long can quickly deplete it's game and foodstock.
When caravans meet, their leaders often trade both caravan members and goods for mutual benefit as relationships are formed.
On occassion, large cities who's leaders are open minded play host to what are known as Lycian markets, which often involve the caravans forming an open bizzare outside the city gate to sell their wears, furs, made goods, meats, and other such things to the cities citizens.

The Lycian Broods:
Lycians can be divided into 7 distinct sub-types known as Broods : Wolves, Foxes, Bat, Boars, Rats, Felines, and Bears.
Although each member of a brood is an individual, preferences and friendships are more likely to form between like broods and mixed brood marriages or children are all but unheard of. Normally, all five broods can be found in any given caravan.
Wolves are most common, followed by Rats, Bears, Boars,Feline (many resemble lynxes or mountain cats, but on occassion, bloodlines resembling the Southern Tiger or Eastern Lion have been recorded) Foxes, and lastly, making up only a small percent of their population, bats.

Hybrid Forms:
Unlike Monster Manual Lycanthropes, Lycians cannot take on the form of their base brood animal. However, they can take on a Hybrid form a total number of (1 + Wisdom Modifier + Character Levels) per day. The shape shift lasts for 1 hour per point of Wisdom Modifier. The Transformation is considered a full round action. Unless distinctly made with this purpose in mind (ie, with a Shape-shifter adaptation magic) clothes do not shift along with the Lycian.

Appearance:
In their humanoid forms, Wolf Brood Lycians stand about the same height range as humans and can have the same color hair, eyes, or skin tones. Most Lycians bear some sort of physical inconsistancy in this form that marks them for what they are (wolven ears, an elongated snout, paw-like feet, tails, and a coating of fur are some examples, although on rare occassions, a non-hybrid wolf can actually look like a smaller version of his hybrid form) A select few Lycians bear marks that are more subtle... and can even pass for being human (although those that do and are caught can suffer extreme consequences)
In their Hybrid form.... The muscles of a Wolf brood Lycian thicken and their entire bodies grow to accomidate (shifting from medium to large size) as their strength an animalistic abilities are increased, along with their inherient regenerative abilities. When this happens, all Wolf Brood Lycians take on a more beasial look that is more a cross between wolf and man, with nearly all of them taking on fur, elongated muzzles, digigrade feet, and large tails.

Broadsword
April 23rd, 2008, 02:52
I can adjust my Sunday schedule pretty well. IMO mornings or afternoons would be best because it would allow more time if everyone was really into the game. I have to be at work early, so I am a bit limited as far as how late I am willing to stay up. Anyone have any time preferances?

WorstedConch
April 24th, 2008, 05:46
Fen RoadWalker
Lvl 3 Lycian Monk

Fen spent his early years learning to deal with his condition. he was Orphaned as a child and did not come across a Caravan untill his 15th year. Most of this time was spent scrounging for what food he could find and running from superstitious villagers. After a few years traveling the roads and provinces with varying Caravans, Fen developed an insatiable wanderlust, There had to more to a Lycians life then constantly moving, being watched in every town. Fen traveled to the Shimmering South where he was taken in by an order of monks who helped to teach him how to calm his mind. Fen spent 5 years at the monastary learning the teachings of the Monks untill his wanderlust returned. he had learned alot of information that could be used to help his people and he felt the need to return to the Waking West in order to teach what he has learned.

And Sundays work for me anytime really. And Robin... I had the blessing of being raised by a Jewish father and Catholic mother 0.o

Robin Shirewood
April 24th, 2008, 11:41
Awesome. *stamps Fen with the approved sigil*

Lycian does work quite will with Monk, so I think the party will benifit greatly. Also, the Exhaulted feat you sent me will work in place of the Magic Item that the other chars will get at startup since by definition it prevents you from owning magic items (or really anything) for that matter.

So thus far I have:

:D Me: Nameless Bard- Anytime
:rv: Wrostedconch: Lycian Monk-Male. Anytime

More char concepts and time avalibilities please.....
Also, it is quite possible that this upcoming Sunday (the 27th of April), I'll be putting the Game Online for character Creation and Question and Answer as the preliminary for game setup. With luck, I would like to start actual game on Sunday May 4th.

Also Wrosted, do elaborate as deeply as you like as you come up with more on Fen. (As for the monastary and it's philosophies, the Shimmering South is still flexible enough that you can make that up as you will so it can be put into cannon.)

Andrepartthree
April 24th, 2008, 14:47
Hi Robin - I just sent an e-mail to your [email protected] but with my luck yahoo's servers might very well "eat" my e-mail so I thought I'd repost here, so if you're getting this message twice my apologies! Coming up with a detailed character concept is no problem but first just wanted to double check and make sure all the player slots haven't been filled already ;) ... My e-mail address is [email protected].

And I agree with what's been said before, I am in awe of the enormous amount of detail and work you've put into this - great job! ;)

Being a stay at home dad (my wife's a pharmacist) with a laptop (I just set it up and keep one eye on the kids while I'm gaming ;) ) ... I'm available pretty much any day of the week, Sunday, Tuesday, whatever works out for you. I'm familiar with FG since I was playing it for several months until my poor DM had to bow out due to time constraints ....

I'm big on the "role playing out your character's personality" part of the game but I don't do the "hogging the limelight" thing other players are prone to sometimes e.g. expecting the spotlight to be on me at all times ;) - I try to play my character in such a way as to encourage others to get into role playing their PC's personalities too, but not in a confrontational "start fights with other PC's" kind of way - that's a bit unhealthy for gaming groups in general (laughs) ... from my experience over the past 24 years as both a player and DM there are two very important things that make an RPG great - 1) doing a good job of role playing your character's personality in such a manner as to make the game more fun for both your fellow players and DM and 2) playing nice with other kids in the sandbox ! (chuckles)... trying to be as cooperative as possible with both players (and the DM) in other words, arguments just mess everything up....

Robin Shirewood
April 24th, 2008, 14:56
Thus far, the only solid slot taken is by Worsted with his Monk...so by all means... post your concept. We keep it up and everybody will be avalible at any time on Sunday...gotta go work now. but looking forward to seeing what is here when I get home.

Quisario
April 24th, 2008, 17:32
On Sunday's timewise for me, I'd rather sleep in until noon (EST) since it's my one day of rest and recovery. Other then that I am free throughout the day. I suppose ideal time is 4pm EST onwards.

I'm still deciding on my character. Seeing the ones already picked helps me narrow down what is needed. No sense in having two of the same chars. I'll try to decide something tonight and post here.

- Q

Robin Shirewood
April 25th, 2008, 00:11
Alright, so waiting till about 12 at least (assuming Q is on EST) ... which would be wise as the time difference would make that about 9am for the Californina/West Coast Player....so afternoons...alright, let's see what else we can narrow down.
*celebrates what movement there is*

Andrepartthree
April 25th, 2008, 02:38
Robin I'm thinking I better e-mail you directly with my character concepts - they are so incredibly long (but not boring I hope, don't want to put you to sleep :P ) I'm not sure I want to bog everyone else down with a long winded description of my character .... you'll probably see from reading it that I'm definitely into the role playing your character's persona out aspect of the game ;) ... let me know if you got the e-mail please?

Also - and forgive me for the lack of a brain - from what I'm reading here it's been decided the game will be on Sundays? Not a problem at all for me but just wanted to confirm...

Andrepartthree
April 25th, 2008, 02:47
Oh also forgot to mention , I'm also in the Eastern time zone (Florida, USA to be more specific ;) ) ... I'll post a (MUCH more abbreviated than what I e-mailed you Robin don't want to bore the other players to death :P ) character concept for everyone else on FG to see here once I come up with one you approve ;) ...

Andrepartthree
April 25th, 2008, 02:50
I REALLY need to think everything through first and post one reply instead of several one right after the other ... :(

One other thought Robin - maybe we should give it a few more days (at your discretion) but if we don't get more replies by then I'll volunteer to hunt through FG's forum and start e-mailing all the players who put up a bulletin saying " Hey I'm looking for a game to join " if you like ... could be they're newbies and it hasn't occurred to them to do the reverse (that is check FG instead for DM's looking for new players) ...

Robin Shirewood
April 27th, 2008, 00:35
Planning a face to face and character Creation Time starting Sunday April 27th at about 10am EST and lasting until 10pm where as I will have the Table Open for players to come in and chat with me about the world, their characters, and what they would like to do.
This will NOT be a game day, however it will give you all a chance to see me in the system and perhaps speed us though any delays that might occur due to tech problems or if you decide that you just don't like me. It will also give players a chance to interact and see if you want to co-op on your backgrounds (I am all for some of the party already knowing each other somehow...it makes the introduction stage run soo much more smoothly)

In fact... I will now open the table (Time here is 7:30pm on Saturday the 26th) to begin preparing things... feel free to join at the Alias:: huge roll epic quill ::

Feel free to drop on by.

-Robin Shirewood: AKA the Nameless Bard.

mesinock
April 27th, 2008, 15:21
My wife and I are very interested in joining your campain if you plan on running games on sundays. However, due to a current finacial sittuation, we will not be able to start for another three weeks. Additionaly, I will be working every other sunday, so I would only be able to play every other sunday. If this is something we can work out send me a pm so that we can hash out a workable schedual, and discuss race/ class options.
Thanks.

Robin Shirewood
April 27th, 2008, 16:15
The game board is up and ready for whoever would like to chat.....same Alias as last night.

Also, a couple of changes.

-Time has been set for Sundays starting at about 12 Noon Eastern Standard Time and lasting for as long as the players are willing.

-Point buy for stats is now 34 rather than 30.

-Players starting Place will be Truce rather than Calin as previously Advertised

-Thus far, 3 players slots have been taken

Worsted Cronch: Lycian Monk
Ques: Dwarven Fighter
Andre: Paladin (I'm assuming human, tell me if I'm wrong)

At least 2 spaces left open...come on to the board and solidify your place now.
Alias is :: huge roll epic quill ::

Come on and don't be shy.

Robin Shirewood
April 27th, 2008, 21:40
The Open Board is still up and wide open for players and inqusitives alike. Come on and drop on by.

Robin Shirewood
April 28th, 2008, 13:24
Dwarf and Lycian 3 - Bad guys 0

After a successful playtest last night (Sunday the 27th), the game seem's well set and on it's way.
Calendar is going up now at https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=222.

Time: 12 Noon EST, Sunday May 4th, until whenever people need to start dropping.

Current Players:
Worsted Cronch: Fen Roadwalker (Lycian Monk)
Quisario : Wellfast Whitesteel (Dwarven Fighter)
Andrethree: Paladin (race and name still undecided)

There is at least one more space open. Do contact me if you have any questions.

Andrepartthree
April 28th, 2008, 16:23
All right a husband and wife team ! Pleeeeaaassee let Mesinock and his significant other in Robin? Pretty please? (maybe they can be quasi-religious or quasi-mystical beings? Appear and vanish out of thin air to help the rest of us out from time to time? Or maybe they're just not the most social people and they leave the party from time to time, joining up with us every now and then to see how we're doing - just a thought ;) ) ...

Andrepartthree
April 28th, 2008, 18:25
Oh also - Robin I e-mailed you a write up of Briana the paladin, please let me know if you don't get it? Also please let me know when would be a good time to log into FG so I can input her stats into FG for you?

Blahness98
April 29th, 2008, 02:27
Don't know if you still have room, but I sent you a PM...

Robin Shirewood
April 29th, 2008, 04:40
YAY and we have a full Party.

So let's see... the Roster Consists of:

Worsted Conch: Fen Roadwalker- Lycian Monk
Quisario: Wellfast Whitesteel- Dwarf Fighter
Andrethree: Briana Sorieal - Human Paladin
Blahness98: Pending Approval
Broadsword: Pending Approval

With Luck, I should be able to put up the FG tomorrow evening for mor character creation... I'll post here when I can...and give as much notice as possible.

Robin Shirewood
April 30th, 2008, 13:57
Here we go fellas... sign on in... got the calendar back up and accepting players (Foolish me)

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=222

See you all either tonight starting at 6pm EST or on Sunday for game... until then *bows*

Broadsword
April 30th, 2008, 19:31
Do we know what caracter class Blahness98 is thinking about running?

Robin Shirewood
April 30th, 2008, 19:55
Ah yes... Forgot to put that up when those were set so here they are:

Worsted Conch: Fen Roadwalker- Lycian Monk
Quisario: Wellfast Whitesteel- Dwarf Fighter
Andrethree: Briana Sorieal - Human Paladin
Blahness98: Marie Camden- Human Wealth Re-distribution Expert
Broadsword: Kobold Wizard/Sorcerer (unnamed)

Gonna be online for one last Char creation setup tonight starting around 5:30pm or so (Today: April 30th)... along with some play-test for at least Blahness and Andrethree.

Broadsword
April 30th, 2008, 20:01
ROFL!

That works.