PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Sci-Fi themed game

grimm182
April 16th, 2008, 21:46
Was interested in trying a scifi game in eastern timezone. Been mostly into fantasy games and was looking to try something im not really familiar with...this leaves out the major scifi settings like swars,strek,bab5 ect.

That there coupled with my timezone prolly narrowed my chances to nil but its worth a shot! :)

unerwünscht
April 17th, 2008, 00:41
Im in easter time zone, and would love to run a SciFi game.

Give me more details on what you would like from a SciFi game, and I will see if I can round up more players, and run a game that would spark your interest.

grimm182
April 17th, 2008, 02:38
Well I was thinking about this on the drive home from work, what would be cool to *me* (if not very original) would be a small party of outcasts that have access to a "crappy" small ship. They would not necessarily be pirates, but due to being desperate for one reason or the other they would need to be clever in order to survive...whether running from the "law" or maybe fugitives from an alien race. Maybe the party is above killing...but not above breaking a law here and there to eek out a life in space. I’m sure this borrows on a lot of traditional sci-fi...but i know when I DM I like to throw something really typical in an adventure that they will recognize and then throw a spin on it they never saw coming...so its both new but familiar.

A loooooooong time ago I tried traveler and also space master…but friends didn’t have much interest.

unerwünscht
April 17th, 2008, 02:47
Well I have no experience with traveler (other than GURPS Traveler) and have never heard of space master. But I am willing to put the effort into learning any system.

The group I work with has made a custom D20 modern/future ruleset so far, and we are hoping to crunch out a GURPS set sometime soon. Tho Loz is having an issue with the character sheet last I heard.

grimm182
April 17th, 2008, 03:04
Well truth be told im less worried about the system as to me thats more for the DM to figure out what works best :), i consider myself a low drama, easy going and lite to medium roleplayer...and typically very reliable player.

I was looking at the Dark Heresy threads, but as i know a bit about that universe and i thought something new would be more enjoyable.

glacius
April 17th, 2008, 03:05
I am on the eastern timezone and I would like to get in o some sci-fi action

travis
April 17th, 2008, 03:18
late EST would be best for me... 9p-12p, prefer post apoc, scavving for loot, Mad Max kinda thing.

unerwünscht
April 17th, 2008, 04:05
Well if no one is apposed to D20 modern, I could be ready to run something this weekend. Friday or Saturday evening/night. I'm cooking up Ideas already.

unerwünscht
April 17th, 2008, 07:04
Ok I have 2 ideas at this point. I think Grimm is looking for something more along the lines of:
You (the players) are the crew of the "Storm Crow" a privately owned medium sized light merchant ship. Tho many would call you thieves, pirates, mercenaries and thugs, the truth of your life is much simpler than this. You live day by day, contract by contract and go where the highest bidder wants you to go. It isn't your fault that illegal space salvage is pulling the highest bids right now, and besides, its just junk floating in space until you collect it, why should anyone care? The Stellar Alliance is just upset because its hard to tax you on it, and the Colonial Concord is just jealous cause they want the salvage to help them fight their war against the Alliance.

Or if the group rather:
In the wake of the final war, the world has changed. Climate, Nations, all were in upheaval. The Earth was transformed into a scorched, poisonous dessert. Civilization is all but eradicated, the world's population has crowded into a few Megacities, and mankind makes its last stand for existence.

Outside the Megacities law as we know it has collapsed. Nomads rule the ruined waistlands, and gangs control the underbelly of crumbled cities. Order must be restored if the world is going to survive, and from the ashes of devastation arose a ragtag band of unlikely heroes. They became the judge, jury and executioner.

grimm182
April 17th, 2008, 13:49
Well my preference is for the 1st, mostly cause i have played less space travelling games (tho i know that makes the DMs job harder) but im willing to try either. I have not played D20 at all for the record.

Master
April 17th, 2008, 13:56
What about battletech RPG?

mr_h
April 17th, 2008, 14:05
Star Frontiers! :D

(always wanted to make a ruleset for that, haven't gotten around to it).

Valarian
April 17th, 2008, 14:19
What about battletech RPG?
I'm currently working on a Savage Worlds conversion for MechWarrior 2nd edition. I've still got to work out vehicle rules.

grimm182
April 17th, 2008, 14:23
Anyone really "Role Play" Battletech? we were always way more interested in the mechs then the in betweens..and there were alway supieror computer games for that. Not that its a bad idea...just we only bought the books for reading the background not for any roleplaying. :)

Valarian
April 17th, 2008, 15:30
You can really only do the spy/intrigue/political type games. A military game involves breaking the 'Mechs out too much. The universe is rich enough to roleplay in though.

grimm182
April 17th, 2008, 15:38
Yea i agree...thats why they got me to buy all the house books...GAWD i have spent alot on rpgs over the years....favorite being House Kurita!

unerwünscht
April 17th, 2008, 15:48
Well, I can tell you now, the D20 rules for mech's are horrid, and it has been YEARS since I have even thought of good old FASA's Battletech, but I am more than willing to go dust off all my old books, and give them a quick once over if Battletech is more what everyone is looking for.

Another system that holds up reasonably well to SciFi games is RIFTS but, I have nowhere near the coding skills needed to make a working RIFTS character sheet for FGII. Nor am I familure enough with the rules anymore to be able to run a game this week. the D20 system has sucked most rules from other systems out of my head.

grimm182
April 17th, 2008, 15:58
I was thinking Rifts earlier (not sure about it being in space)..but wasnt even going to mention it due to the ruleset needed. I prolly would not be interested in a Mech adventure, but since its so hard to find certain games unerwünscht, go with the most votes. :)

Master
April 17th, 2008, 17:23
I have played a BTRPG space game that didnt have any mechs and it worked great. The have really great rules for how ships works and move along with a really well thought out universe. Just thought I would throw it out as a possibility.

unerwünscht
April 17th, 2008, 18:47
I wont know for sure till people tell me, but my guess would be that D20 modern/future will be no ones first pick, however will be the only system common enough that everyone is willing to give it a shot. The bright side to this is that I know the rule well enough that I can run just about anything in D20.

Looking back at all my references to D20 I want to mention that I am not a D20 junkie or anything. It just happens to be the most popular RPG rules that I know of, and has the added advantage of Fantasy Grounds already being compatible with it.

Also if the two game ideas I already kicked out aren't what people are looking for just let me know, and give me more Ideas. I like to think of myself as being semi creative, and want to make sure that the players will be happy with anything we run. After all if the players aren't happy then whats the point right?

travis
April 17th, 2008, 19:36
If its in my time frame (9pmish EST) I will be willing to play the scenario you outlined Uner.

unerwünscht
April 19th, 2008, 08:25
So its now Saterday morning in EST. I hope to be free by 8pm tonight to open a server. provided any of you are still interested.

glacius
April 19th, 2008, 11:37
Still interested, will you post the server info here or what?

:)

grimm182
April 19th, 2008, 14:14
great, i was in till the wife told me her parents are gonna be here tonight. If a game does start...can someone post back here a blurb on how it went?

travis
April 19th, 2008, 17:17
will be lookin for an update!

Garignak
April 20th, 2008, 23:24
What about Mutant Chronicles?

unerwünscht
April 21st, 2008, 04:04
Well I see why no one logged on now.
I made a post with my server alias, but I guess it didn't go through. I apologize now for all the names I called you guys to the people here in the office.