PDA

View Full Version : translation

zifnab69_fr
April 12th, 2008, 14:26
Hey....
for next FG release.
it'll be cool that something was made in FG2 to help "home" translation.
why not a special menu or tool where every body can change or translate words....
or just an xml sheet where we can have something like

Weapon = Arme
Shield= bouclier

sorry for my poor english.
thank you

DarkStar
April 12th, 2008, 14:55
You can translate rulesets to your language, the program (FG) itself doesn't have much text. I am not sure about non-Latin characters, though...

zifnab69_fr
April 12th, 2008, 15:18
hello...
i know that i can translate the ruleset in my hown language.
it's done for French. But the words to translates are spread in all FG2 files.
What i'll like is to only have to change one file to translate.

Foen
April 13th, 2008, 22:27
I guess that a simple word:word replace wouldn't work. "Je ne sais pas" and "I do not know" both have four words, but there is no word-for-word replacement.

Perhaps for sheet titles/captions it might work (where only one word is used), but even then it isn't certain.

A language pack, where each word and phrase is held away from the referencing document would perhaps work, but I guess it would be quite difficult to implement, and there is no guarantee that community rulesets would work with it.

Just my two centimes *grin*

Stuart

zifnab69_fr
April 14th, 2008, 06:41
Hello Foen , there is allready an French translation that's work greate.
The most important to translate for players is the caractere sheet
But i'm affraid that for FG2 next upgrade, it was too difficult or to long to translate it again + add the ct mods + "the box mod" +....

i have a dream that FG2 (3) can work with "plugins" ( for the Ctmod, the box mod...) and have a referencing document for caractere translation....

zifnab

Markjan
April 14th, 2008, 18:07
Hello, va donc faire un tour du coté de la communauté francophone autour du Jeu de Role via le net, tu devrais trouver ce que tu cherches ! (quoique, si ca se trouve tu connais deja et en plus chuis pas sur qu'on purra t'aider là dessus... ;)
--> https://jdrvirtuel.azureforum.com/

zifnab69_fr
April 14th, 2008, 19:03
Merci pour l'info Markjan....
sympatique forum.
Mais ce que je souhaite en fait c'est que FG2 soit adapté pour rendre la traduction plus facile....
et ca, c'est pas gagné.
a + et bon jeu

DarkStar
April 14th, 2008, 21:24
I guess that a simple word:word replace wouldn't work. "Je ne sais pas" and "I do not know" both have four words, but there is no word-for-word replacement.

A language pack, where each word and phrase is held away from the referencing document would perhaps work, but I guess it would be quite difficult to implement, and there is no guarantee that community rulesets would work with it.

Perhaps we need some resource files like in Java or .NET where strings of text could be held separately and just referenced from code. A translator wouldn't have to know the ruleset file structure, as translating the resource files is enough. I don't think this is something difficult to implement.

joshuha
April 14th, 2008, 21:40
Perhaps we need some resource files like in Java or .NET where strings of text could be held separately and just referenced from code. A translator wouldn't have to know the ruleset file structure, as translating the resource files is enough. I don't think this is something difficult to implement.

Well the thing I can see thats an issue is that everything is laid out pixel wise. So longer words or phrases for the same English counterparts wont fit into that 20 pixel bubble or that 60 pixel text line, etc.

Having said that, there are definitely plans for plugins type ways that would make this a bit easier but still in the design phase there.