PDA

View Full Version : Need help with internet game.

Careb
April 12th, 2008, 02:59
My friends and I are trying to start a game. We are all in different networks, in different states. We have the correct ports forwarded, but we think the problem is this:

The IP that fantasy grounds assigns for players to connect to is of our router, when we need it to be of our external IP. At least that is what we think. Any help?

Malovech
April 12th, 2008, 03:54
My friends and I are trying to start a game. We are all in different networks, in different states. We have the correct ports forwarded, but we think the problem is this:

The IP that fantasy grounds assigns for players to connect to is of our router, when we need it to be of our external IP. At least that is what we think. Any help?

If you know your external IP, the GM can give that to the players to connect to instead of the alias.

Careb
April 12th, 2008, 04:00
We did that but still had no luck. :(

joshuha
April 12th, 2008, 04:07
First, only the GM needs to worry about port forwarding.
Second, a site like www.whatismyip.com will give you the correct IP. Most computers behind a router, by design, report what assigned to it by the router.

To test if the GM has the port forwarded correctly goto a site like www.pcflank.com and do the Advanced Port Scanner and do the one that lets you specify a port. Do a scan of 1802 while he has FG running and of the results show stealthed or closed he doesn't have his port forwarded correctly on his router.

Hamish
April 14th, 2008, 08:08
A very good candidate for a sticky, this....