PDA

View Full Version : man, finding the right group and

tahl_liadon
April 10th, 2008, 02:18
... a lasting game is getting really scarce around here.

anyone looking for a player:
- e.s.t. (-5)
- 8pm (open to day)
- any level
- 3.5 ed: fr, eberron, ua... whatever fantasy campaign
- creative, mature player
- experienced, 1/2 rp, 1/2-h-n-s

for one reason or another, long-term games and i aren't aligning properly. i want to find one that can and will!

scytale2
April 10th, 2008, 10:33
Whilst it's not my place to suggest who to join, there are quite a lot of long-term campaigns going on and a similar number of GMs who want committed players.

You could perhaps start by PMing those people on the boards in your timezone who have posted a lot, as they have more than likely either got a campaign you could join or know of one looking for players. Whether you'll like the campaign is another matter, but then, as a player, that will be your decision, not the inconsistency of others and all GMs realise that different players enjoy/dislike different things.

OldWyrm
April 11th, 2008, 13:37
Tahl

Let me know if you find one. I would be interested also. Same criteria, long term, mature players.

DarkWiz58
April 11th, 2008, 15:55
The game I run might satisfy you, but the times may not work out. Here's a link:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8242

PM me if you are interested.

DarkWiz58

calvinNhobbes
April 11th, 2008, 23:07
Yep, I couldn't find a consistent group either, so I decided to just DM instead.

Campaign has been going for about 1.5 years. One player has been there from the very start. Another for all but the first couple sessions. The third joined about half way along, and then I've had 8-10 players quit. Only 2 or 3 ever actually emailed or PMed to say they that they were or what the reason. Most just don't show up after 0-1 sessions.

Common courtesy is quite the rarity. Which is why alot of DMs just stop their campaigns. It's hard to put in all that effort to just have people not show up.

The ironic thing is that I have then seen many ex-players on these forums complaining they can't find a game.

OldWyrm
April 12th, 2008, 02:14
Good players and good campains has always been a problem. I am still making the transition from paper to FG, but it is the same with in person groups. Sessions become chat time, people just dont show, etc. I was hoping it would be differant here. I have only been in a few sessions so far (single sittings) but it did seem like the players were more interested in playing then socializing. I was hoping to get into a campain from level one, but those look scarce. So I have been jumping in where ever I can, at least until I meet a steady playing group.

umbralux
April 12th, 2008, 03:44
Out of curiosity, are you only looking for games using D&D rules in the fantasy genre?

longarms
April 12th, 2008, 05:36
"and then I've had 8-10 players quit. Only 2 or 3 ever actually emailed or PMed to say they that they were or what the reason. Most just don't show up after 0-1 sessions."

I have seen the same thing! It got so bad... I started just running one shots because I thought people like those better than campaigns. Then, my one shot players told me how much fun my game was and asked me to start a campaign. So, I started the campaign again and then those requesting players just didn't show... no email or anything. I mean, its not like I was twisting their arm to join my campaign... quite the opposite.

Anyway, I figure its just a numbers thing. You have to go through about 15 players to find 5 that will stay with it. Reminds me of throwing parties in college... you had to have about twice as many invites as the number of people you actually wanted at the party ;)

Back on topic, tahl is one of those good players. He reliably showed up for lots of sessions, and when he finally had to bow out, he gave me plenty of notice.

Xorn
April 12th, 2008, 12:29
I feel your pain guys. I also feel bad, and would recommend OldWyrm to any game, he was a very enjoyable player to run a game for. The reason I only post up one-shots for 4E demos is because I already have a filled campaign I run, with players that I've been DMing for a very long time. I might have one spot opening up, but I'm hesitant to mention more about it till I know that it's open for sure.

scytale2
April 12th, 2008, 13:01
Excuse the phrase but "communication is the bugbear" of FG campaigns.

I try to ensure I have emails for all players and I always email if they don't show up to find out if they are staying. If they ignore my email they get kicked out. Some DMs are very bad at communication themselves and they just expect players to show up without any communication between weeks, fortnights or even monthly games. Using the FG mini-forums for the game are very helpful, but some DMs don't use them and I'm certain this is destructive to their games in some instances, as they expect players to just dance around from forum to forum to dig out a tiny thread in a long-forgotten and unsaved URL.

Also I think players on the spot don't like to be confronted with the "Do you want to join my campaign?" question. The answer is invariably "Yes" at the time, but in hindsight, they may find other things to do, or another game to play in which is more suitable. If the GM wants those players he/she has to book them in, communicate and enthuse them about his or her campaign.

Also, "Yes I want to be in your campaign" also could mean "I enjoyed tonight and I'd be up for playing again, but I'm not guaranteeing That I'll be free every Tuesday night to play...."

Usually programmes like FG have thought about all these issues that GMs face and would have a built-in methodology like neverwinterconnections.com (which they could easily steal the concept from) to enhance their game for their customers. Whilst we have many promises from our community rep, the proof of the pudding is in the eating and there is no indication of when this is to arrive. Done right, we won't be having these types of conversations and I hope I'm saying here that DMs and Players are just normal people acting normally and we should not get angry if they don't play ball with us.

Sigurd
April 12th, 2008, 16:04
I think there is some explanation for dissapearing DMs. I am not condoning the ones who just drop off the face of the earth, as has happened to 3 DMs I was playing with.

DMing is a lot more work than playing. Running a good session one day a week ties up the day you play and at least a similar amount of time in creation and preparation. Long running campaigns stretch out beyond most people's normal social calendar. They are easy prey for the new event that you might want to do more.

This for me is the biggest problem with D20 - as characters quickly ramp in power thier sphere of influence grows very fast. Having answers for what a character might do becomes harder at the same rate multiplied by the number of characters.

I think there can be added pressure on the DM in FG because the players never see him rustling papers or looking up things and know that he's working on a request.

I'm not saying this to excuse dissapearing dm's, rather to communicate for them and maybe reduce some of their pressures.

To keep adventures going players should be courteous to the person doing the most work and accept things like delays to get all the work done for playing. Most players should be ready to trade off and DM for an adventure occaisionally so they know the work involved and so the primary DM gets a break.

DMs have to, have to, communicate as do the players. Thank the humans that are joining you in something you enjoy. Write backstory that can be the point of collaboration and building something special.

If a player cant bring him\herself to write a backstory of 3 pages and send it to the DM or Group they're not welcome in an adventure where I've written 30 pages and all the maps etc... They should want to read the world background and reflect it in their own. Smart players will realize that by contributing to world creation they help sustain it and make it their own.

/rant

Sigurd

calvinNhobbes
April 12th, 2008, 16:33
OldWyrm and tahl_liadon,
I once again have an opening in my game (no show two weeks in a row and no communication responses). Tahl, I actually think you PMed me when I had a previous opening but it had been filled or you couldn't make the time or something.

It is a D&D 3.5 campaign loosely set in Greyhawk. We play Sundays 8PM-11PM EST, sometimes a little earlier or latter. Rarely skip sessions and even then try to make them up on a week day if most people can make it. The game is about 60/40 combat/roleplaying, but it tends to be separated. So 5-6 sessions of combat (usually big gore fests with lots of in character banter, but also intermixed skill challenges) followed by 4-5 sessions of roleplaying (usually tying up the previous quest, introducing plot hooks, some political intrigue, and expansion of the game world).

You'd start at level 4 using pretty much only the PHB, DMG, and MM. I like to try to keep the rules simple. However, if you want to play something non-core then just let me know and we can try and work something out.

KevenSimmons
April 12th, 2008, 16:53
Calvin, If neither OldWyrm or tahl_liadon take you up on the offer and you still have openings, let me know. I'm looking for another game and Sunday evening works great for me.

longarms
April 13th, 2008, 00:09
"Excuse the phrase but "communication is the bugbear" of FG campaigns."

Ben, you're right. Communication is one of those things that, if improved, would increase the chances of a campaign continuing.

Anyone can improve communication though, not just the GM. Players do have control over the success of the campaign. If a player finds a campaign he likes, he has some control over whether that becomes "ongoing" or runs out of gas. This is more than just showing up every game (although that bare minimum itself is a gem as calvin suggested). A player who finds a campaign they like would be helping themselves by proactively helping his GM recruit, proactively getting the emails of his fellow players, proactively sending reminders to his fellow players, proactively helping new players, etc. I think this happens more naturally in tabletop games, particularly where all the players have relationships beyond the game.

tahl_liadon
April 13th, 2008, 04:40
Tahl, I actually think you PMed me when I had a previous opening but it had been filled or you couldn't make the time or something.

calvinnhobbes, thx for the offer! i may call you on it soon. the game time works for me. is there a site you want to direct me to review your campaign, or is there a listing on the calendar (or both)?

i have a table-top game that i play consistently on every other sat, 1p-5p. the dm and players are really flexible and cool: they let me drop back in every other week and continue the campaign without disruption to my pc or the campaign itself. but that's the "real-life" schedule that i was fortunate to find and keep (i've been with them for probably 3 yrs now).

as far as fg2 games, i can make a weekly schedule, so there's no problem there, as i seek a game that starts at 8pm (est).

let's talk more and maybe i can join next sunday. again, thx.

tahl_liadon
April 13th, 2008, 05:02
was going to be so engaging! (it was posted about a week ago and there are 250 views!)

i'm glad it is because, as we can see from the dialog, that it is an issue. i appreciate those who contribute to the post.

my contribution to the dialog is this:

to players: (good) dm'ing is hard work! it takes time, dedication, and planning --- and a lot of it is a labor of love. at the table-top group i play, the dm requires each player to give a storyline to his pc. this helps 1) the player to solidify and flesh out the pc, giving it life, and 2) the dm uses these storylines to create mini-adventures within an over-arching campaign. this mean it's commitment is with both the players and the dm; they feed off one another and this energy keeps the game going (as well as the commitment to show up).

if you are a player who joins a campaign and just sit back, letting things happen, you're setting yourself up for disappointment because this "hands off" attitude is completely antithesis of what role-playing is. rp games may not be for you. your apathy will affect the game and the campaign/involvement will eventually peter out.

the opposite also is detrimental when a player is over-assertive: passive-aggressively taking on the role of the dm, essentially causing conflict and double-guessing at every turn.

this is but one observation of many that may lead to the demise of a campaign, but there you have it. the take away of this is: you gotta love the game and respect others' time and efforts to make it work.

peace out.

tahl_liadon
April 13th, 2008, 05:08
Out of curiosity, are you only looking for games using D&D rules in the fantasy genre?

i'm open to anything d20 ('cause i'm familiar with it, and won't have time to learn new complex systems).

d&d just happens to be more "user-friendly" and easier to digest in terms of learning-curve.

as for fantasy genre: yes, i prefer it over other genres. the opposite of fantasy, in terms of preference for me, is sci-fi.

for what it's worth, i hope that answers your question(s).

calvinNhobbes
April 13th, 2008, 14:11
let's talk more and maybe i can join next sunday. again, thx.
Sent you an invite to the campaign on the game calendar. More info there for you to look over.
cNh

OldWyrm
April 14th, 2008, 02:39
DM's, I feel for you. I tried DMing years ago and just couldnt get into it.

As for what games I play, those of you older players may remember Battletech. That was another tabletop game I played, and I enjoy just about anything. But I should also say that I dont normally play the run of the mill "shining hero" characters. I learned long ago that variety, chance, and the unusual add interest and excitement to a game. If given a choice I will pick a class and alignment out of the norm and try to keep things entertaining, interesting, and fresh.

Calvin, I would be interested. The times work well for me. PM me if there are openings. If not, please keep me in mind if any more open up.

grimm182
April 14th, 2008, 18:25
(semi-related in parts) I have been running a warhammer campaign for 4 of my friends, since we play the same night same time we just made a rule that if two *players* show up then the game goes on and they just run the missing characters as npcs, they also get a small xp reward for only thier characters. To many times i have seen a campaign die if too many sessions get skipped, this keeps the story moving forward and rewards me as a DM since it doesnt die off.

umbralux
April 14th, 2008, 18:33
I agree. That's what I've been doing in the SW game I'm GMing. I also post a synopsis of the session so any players who missed it can get caught up. Truthfully, I didn't expect the game to last more than two or three sessions, I started it to learn the FG interface. That was in January - it's been 12 sessions and still going. Though it is morphing away from the initial adventure.

That brings up another point, if you find a group of people who are interested and involved even a short adventure can turn into something more.

DM Greg
April 21st, 2008, 22:40
I wish we had a "karma" system where a DM could rank things like attendance, punctuality, contribution etc and vice-versa for the player's to rate their DM's.

I put in a ton of work into my campaign and while we've only had a couple sessions it's went extremely well (maturity and timeliness of players, communication, etc) but I hear the complaint comments echoed as well. "I wish I could find a long term campaign".

Later

SamuraiSteve
April 30th, 2008, 16:06
I agree with alot of what is being said here. It is difficult to find open games in the first place it seems (maybe that's because I'm new to FG), and as far as players socializing or being immature about gaming - I've found that to be true in the two "real-world" groups I play with as well as FG. Sometimes it's hard to keep the group focused on the task at hand. I also very much agree with "communication is key" - I prefer playing with DMs who let you know what's going on with the campaign (bringing you up to speed as well as what to expect in the future) - the more organized and prepared you are, the easier it is for players. And I've found that those who communicate well usually are the ones who are good at storytelling in-game too.

Anyway, I've also been searching for the last week or so for a good game to join. I love the role-playing as well as just "blowing stuff up" and "hacking and slashing". I've been playing D&D for a few years - not enough to have all the rules memorized yet, but enough to know how to play and have a good time. So if anyone out there knows of a good game to join, please let me know.

I'm Mountain Time (-7:00), but am pretty much open to almost any time zone right now.

Jingo
May 1st, 2008, 02:17
I wish we had a "karma" system where a DM could rank things like attendance, punctuality, contribution etc and vice-versa for the player's to rate their DM's.

I put in a ton of work into my campaign and while we've only had a couple sessions it's went extremely well (maturity and timeliness of players, communication, etc) but I hear the complaint comments echoed as well. "I wish I could find a long term campaign".

Later

In my current d20 adventure I'm running I award experience not only for role-playing but for showing up and participating. I do experience in a relatively easy manner. For each session I do 1 point for showing up, 1-5 points for session's story progression, 1 point for best roleplayer, and players themselves vote to give a 1 point award for MVP. I award 1 point for anyone who plays someone elses char that session. Then lvl progression is 12 points for 2nd level, 13 for 3rd and so on. Points reset to 0 in-between levels. This makes for a easy to track XP system and a relatively quick progression which I find is important in FG sessions. Players want their chars to improve.

You could do other similar character awards for timeliness, communication etc.

spliskamatyshak
May 1st, 2008, 03:49
... a lasting game is getting really scarce around here.

anyone looking for a player:
- e.s.t. (-5)
- 8pm (open to day)
- any level
- 3.5 ed: fr, eberron, ua... whatever fantasy campaign
- creative, mature player
- experienced, 1/2 rp, 1/2-h-n-s

for one reason or another, long-term games and i aren't aligning properly. i want to find one that can and will!
I don't know if you have found a campaign to join yet, but I have invited you to mine if you are interested. The group has only met in FG once so far, but they have developed excellent backgrounds for their characters and are involved in a pbp in between sessions. They are excellent role-players and it sounds like you would be a perfect fit. The campaign world is homegrown over the last 30 years. If you are interested, accept the invitatation (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=273) and email me.