PDA

View Full Version : Beyond the Mountains of Madness

John_Geeshu
April 4th, 2008, 19:45
Is there any community interest in a Call of Cthulhu campaign using Chaosium's Beyond the Mountains of Madness arctic campaign and sourcebook? The campaign I am interested in running would emphasize role playing over character stats and mechanics, although the later would still be involved. As I'm not aware of any FG II ruleset for Chaosium's version, we would just use FG II as a place to meet up and play.

Times: Don't know yet, waiting to see if there is enough interest to run the campaign. I'm on CST.

John_Geeshu
April 5th, 2008, 15:29
Okay, I see we have a few lurkers but no one brave enough to speak up. This might be easier. If you sign up I will run the campaign. The calendar address is here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=279 , and I'll take the first six applicants. You do not need to be familiar with the 1930s, Call of Cthulhu, Lovecraft, Poe, or even Chaosium's ruleset, the campaign will be heavy on the role play.

travis
April 5th, 2008, 16:10
What day/times are you wanting to play John?? I would love a c&C game, but I am kinda limited on my times...

John_Geeshu
April 5th, 2008, 16:27
That'll depend on the players. My schedule is fairly open days, more limited evenings and weekends because that is when I work. Whomever applies will be able to decide when we play. If you want to join and then suggest a few times that are favorable to you I will be able to indicate by yes or no whether I can make them.

travis
April 5th, 2008, 22:15
I am married w/kids & in the EST. Likely the best times for me to play would be tues, weds, thurs, sat, sunday ~ 8-12. The closer to 8, the more distracted I will be, due to helpin gettin the kids in bed, etc. The weekends would likely be more forgiving on time.

John_Geeshu
April 6th, 2008, 00:11
Is that 8 in the evening or in the morning? I could run a game in the 8-12 evening slot probably once per week, during the day, the same.

Habbalah
April 6th, 2008, 15:27
I'm interested, but unfortunately, I don't know the Chaosium system but I do know about the 1930's, Poe, Lovecraft, and Call of Cthulhu. I'm really only available some evenings. Right now I'm taking evening classes on Tue and Thur. Starting in mid May, I'll be taking an evening class on Wed. So, I guess the best nights will be Mondays or Fridays because I know I'll have those open for several months. My weekends are usually busy with class stuff, so I need to keep those open.

John_Geeshu
April 6th, 2008, 16:18
You don't need to know anything about Chaosium's system as I'm going to minimize that part of it.

Habbalah
April 6th, 2008, 21:26
Ok, sounds good. I'll be interested in hearing more if my schedule will allow me to be in the game.

travis
April 6th, 2008, 21:49
8 in the eve. Let me know as your plans come together!

John_Geeshu
April 6th, 2008, 21:59
The campaign's already written and I have materials together. We will probably use voice unless anyone objects. So as soon as we have 4 we can schedule our first session and play.

Habbalah
April 6th, 2008, 22:37
Unfortunately, I don't have access to voice.

John_Geeshu
April 6th, 2008, 22:52
That's okay, as long as you have speakers and can hear narration. Otherwise my hands will probably fall off. Call of Cthulhu is intense on narration.

Master
April 6th, 2008, 23:57
Sign me up, I think I can get one more player too if it doesnt fill too fast. I am wanting to run a cthulhu campaign for some people locally and would love to see how another person runs something similar. Plus, it is cthulhu and that is always fun until someone looses an eye, another person catches on fire and survivors take 2d6 sanity damage.

:)

John_Geeshu
April 7th, 2008, 00:01
Welcome aboard Master! Since you are the first player officially onboard, you should check the calendar announcements for the information you'll need to propose your character.

travis
April 7th, 2008, 01:17
John, if you can give me a solid play time, I will be happy to confirm my availability! I am a huge fan of good solid horror, & Lovecraftian horror, & look forward to RPing in that genre.

John_Geeshu
April 7th, 2008, 07:07
I'll notify you of a session time as soon as I can Travis. Stay tuned.

travis
April 7th, 2008, 14:33
Great John, thanks.... I have a character idea that I will send you, that I was using in a P&P game. Can you PM me your email address? I will send you the background & concept I had for him, & see if he would work in your game. The guy was tailor made for an Arkham campaign that never happened, but maybe could be modified for yours.

John_Geeshu
April 9th, 2008, 20:48
We've three players confirmed, possibly a fourth who has not yet committed. Since I am going to keep the total at four, if you want in now is the time to apply.

SpaceCommander Zax
April 10th, 2008, 06:08
Hi,
I'm interested in playing Call of Cthulhu. I used to play the Chaosium version long ago, and I have Monte Cook's D20 conversion - grabbed it as fast as I could when I saw it figuring that sooner or later licence issues would put it out of reach. Very interested in Lovecraftian horror genre. I'm in North American Eastern Daylight Savings Time (e.g., New York, Boston, etc.). I have kids so depending on the time you choose to start, I may be able to join you. I usually get the kids to bed around 9pm. Also what day of the week?

Foen
April 10th, 2008, 08:03
Just for your information, an official Call of Cthulhu ruleset is in the pipeline. See the announcement on this thread:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8222

Stuart

John_Geeshu
April 10th, 2008, 12:49
I did see that, and I am thrilled. You probably have at least one sale once it's done.

Master
April 12th, 2008, 20:01
Is there a specific way you want us to roll out characters? Should we hold off on the stats until we get the first session under our belts so that we can roll our stats in front of you?

I already made my character but I can remake him later if you need to see me roll.

John_Geeshu
April 12th, 2008, 20:28
Nah, I operate strictly on an honor-based system. Whatever you've come up with is just fine. Fingers crossed for a Monday start.

John_Geeshu
April 13th, 2008, 11:46
We're in need of at 1-2 more investigators for a tentative Monday 6-8 start. If you've never played Call of Cthulhu but have always wanted to, this is your chance. The campaign source material is outstanding, and I plan to run the campaign until its conclusion (longterm game, 1-2 years, weekly). We need one more to start, and we will take up to two. First come first served.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=279

cpbs
April 15th, 2008, 09:33
Nice hour run, worked great, got the feel of things. Will post an updated character next time we play. Good DMing :P

John_Geeshu
April 15th, 2008, 15:05
Thank you, I appreciate that. WHen we add voice next week I will be able to respond much better to nuances. There's just too much description and too much going on in the background in this campaign for my meagre typing skills to handle it.

Enjoyed it to.

Necrosaro
April 15th, 2008, 21:43
OHHHH i'd LOVE to try a CoC game.