PDA

View Full Version : Create a module for newbies

Grosnounou
April 2nd, 2008, 20:23
Hi, i am a newbie for FG2, i bought the full license, but i would like to know if any of you can help a newbie create a module... I have no knowledge at all on this program...

Thanks

Valarian
April 2nd, 2008, 20:57
The modules are in the Application Directory (from the Start, Programs menu). Copy one of the .mod files and rename it to .zip. Open up the zip file. The files are XML.

This thread describes the different types of file in a module.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6446

joshuha
April 2nd, 2008, 21:16
Realize there are two types of modules.

One is a library module, built offline straight in XML and shows up in the Library section in the interface. This is usually used for references for rules and tables and what not.

The second is commonly called an adventure module. This is where you can create story entries, NPCs, maps, etc. through the interface and bundle it all together. You might want to do this to share your adventure with others or to keep a main campaign a little less cluttered by bringing these adventures and just removing them when your group is finished. To make one of these you just type /export while in FG and it will bring up the interface.

Once you select the options (most of which are explained here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6446) then you right click and hit export to bundle all of that to a .mod file.

Grosnounou
April 2nd, 2008, 22:25
You already lost me here :)

I am completly newbie on this... I am not even sure what XML is?

Do you have a step by step wizard that can explain how to do?

Foen
April 3rd, 2008, 06:24
I think you may want to start out with the more straightforward stuff and then gradually attempt more complex projects as you gain confidence.

As Joshuha suggests, create a simple adventure module using the built-in export wizard/dialogue (using his cross-reference thread to explain what the options do) and then you can poke around inside the module to understand a bit about how it works.

Stuart

Stuart
April 3rd, 2008, 06:59
At the risk of repeating my "betters" (but <sob> not my "elders") ... and I'm probably closer to the "noob-ness" state you are at than they ...

All of your FGII campaigns and modules are stored in the FGII applications folder.

The type of module you open to look at will differ :
1) Adventure Modules - these contain images and maps for players and the DM, a "db.xml" file (this contains all the text data: the story, npc's, items and so on that a writer has created) and a "definition.xml" file (this small file defines the title of the adventure and what ruleset it belongs with). Frankly, I only ever edit adenture modules via the db.xml when I want to create tables. Otherwise cut and pasting stuff straight into a story frame within an open FGII application works fine.

2) Library modules - these contain just three things; a small png image of a book to represent the module and two xml files. One of the files will be called "definition.xml". As above, this defines the name of the module and what ruleset it belongs with. The second xml file will be called either "db.xml" (can only be viewed by the GM) or "client.xml" (can be viewed by players).

Start by opening up a library module using Winzip and place the two xml files and the image in a working folder somewhere. You can open up a module by either playing with Winzip and telling it to recognize any .mod as a zip-style thingy OR rename the module as a .zip.

Two of the files will be "xml" format, this is kinda similar to html but works in a slightly different way (and was designed with a different intent) - to open and edit this a simple txt editor (notepad) will work or you can go to a variety of free or commercial applications. I use XMLSpy (I think there may be a free version, I know there is a trial version that will last a month).

The xml file one you want to play with is the client.xml file. This contains all the rule/spell/monster data you want to edit or add to.

I would suggest you start by making a copy of one of the library modules and rename it test.mod. Then (after altering the definition.xml file and rezipping and renaming your new module) you can add data and check on how the new module functions with the ruleset you are using.

It will take a couple of days before you get your head around how the xml tags work but after that, editing and creating custom modules is very easy. Stick with it.

scytale2
April 3rd, 2008, 11:15
Grosnounou - I've run several modules now and I've never done any of these things and I also have no idea what xml is.

All I do is the following:

a) Click on Host a game as GM and name my module
b) Paste in JPG images (maps are the most important here) into the "Images" folder of my newly-named file, which will be a subdirectory of the campaigns folder. This is a nightmare to find, but easy if you go to Start and then FG2 and click on "Application folder"
c) Open up the monsters file and drag across the monsters into the NPCs folder you need from the D20 monsters file. If they are new monsters, then you just click on "New" and enter the details. The same goes for magic items or "Notes".

When I GM, I have open a PDF of the module, so I can easily cut and paste text, but if it's home brew, then you'll not have this luxury, but cut and paste is a piece of cake, using copy and Ctr-V (I think).

There you have it - all done!

Tokens are a little more complicated, but there are plenty of threads on that and you can simply use the built in tokens anyway, if you need to. "G" = Goblin, "K" = Kobold. On Sunday I was planning to use "B"=Bee (Giant).

You'll have to learnt he combat tracker and token-sizing too, but these are all "in programme".

I like FG because I am a complete non-programmer and a bit lazy, when it comes to typing, so if you're similar, then you'll probably like it too! It can take a few hours to capture a whole Paizo module, but it's actually unexpectedly fun to do.

Griogre
April 3rd, 2008, 22:58
You already lost me here :)

I am completly newbie on this... I am not even sure what XML is?

Do you have a step by step wizard that can explain how to do?
Why don't you tell us what you want to do with your module. You are getting complicated complete answers because we are not sure what type of module you are interested in or what you want to do with the module. They two basic types of modules are very different, made totally differently and usually have very different purposes.