PDA

View Full Version : Sending Hidden Rolls to GM?

Jingo
March 29th, 2008, 07:09
Question. Is it possible to have chars send hidden rolls to the GM that the players can't see, but the GM can? If so, how?

I would find this very beneficial for things like Spot or Listen skill checks where players shouldn't know based on the die roll whether or not they did well (or whether or not their teammates did well). I know the GM can roll dice for the players, but that becomes time consuming looking it up for each char and rolling it.

If this isn't possible, is it possible to tie multiple rolls and bonuses to one quick slot. For example, could I put all the char's spot rolls and modifiers in one click slot under one /die command and just roll those? If so how?

Thanks!

umbralux
March 29th, 2008, 16:09
Yes, there's a module with the WFRP rule set allowing players to send rolls only to the GM. The module is usable with other rule sets once you have it installed.

Jingo
March 29th, 2008, 20:05
What is WFRP?
Where could I get this module?

nezzir
March 29th, 2008, 22:24
The module is called "the box". I didn't write it, I just got it off these forums and included it. It's in the ruleset (in my link), or you can just seach the forums for "the box".

It's a great addition to any custom ruleset. It works well and does the job perfectly.

Dachannien
March 30th, 2008, 00:17
That foul evil was my doing. I went ahead and added the download URL to my signature.

Tokuriku
March 30th, 2008, 15:18
Right, it was YOU who created "The Box", I remember now!
Can I ask you for your permission to host it on my site.

I've been using it for a long time now in ALL my rulesets because it's so usefull.
Just want to make it easier for people to have access to it.
I have a download section which might be easier to search trough then a forum :)

Dachannien
March 30th, 2008, 17:11
I'd rather you just link to it rather than host it, because there may come a time when I want to update it, and having it in one place makes it easier for me to change it if I need to. That said, I'm not going to make a fuss if hosting it yourself is easier from a technical standpoint. :)

Xorn
March 31st, 2008, 03:55
Got this mod installed. This is one of the coolest things I've seen, yet.

Sigurd
March 31st, 2008, 05:26
Re "the Box" Hosting

It may sound fussy but I'd rather check a website for updates than globally search a message board. I think message boards are great but I don't treat their messages as stable sources of info.

If you had an 'official' site that you were sure to put updates on, I'd definately bookmark it. Its a really great mod.

Sigurd

DarkStar
March 31st, 2008, 07:41
Agreed, better put it on some website rather than a forum.

Tokuriku
March 31st, 2008, 11:32
Actually, my next step was to ask you to come and upload it yourself :D
So you would be the provider and would know where it is if you needed to update it wich is quite easy. You could put the description you like and maybe a "how-to install" tutorial in the description.

But for the last part (the how-to part), I would much more prefer that it would be done in the "How-to of the week" section. If you want to try your hand at next's week tip, I'd be more then happy to pass the quill.

Come see last week's "How-to" and see what I meen!
It's on the main page (https://thepalentir.com/) "Putting Portraits in Chat"

Oh, BTW you can give an address link instead of an actual file in the downloads section so you could still manage all updates from your 1 file. The bad things about that though is that if/when you can't host the file any longer, no-one can access it anymore. With a copy on my site, people can always have access to it there. Second, you can inform people about updates AND you can see how many people download it and some might even rate your creation and even comment on it :D

Dachannien
March 31st, 2008, 20:02
Okay, that makes sense. I went ahead and registered an account over there, and I'll see about uploading it once it's approved. :)

Dachannien
March 31st, 2008, 20:04
By the way, if anybody's curious to see the inspiration for The Box, just look here (https://mcb-homis.com/GM_screen/index.htm). ;)

Tokuriku
April 1st, 2008, 03:49
OMG, did you build the screen yourself?

I registered you and you should have access to submit downloads in "The Armory" so fire away and thanks for your cooperation, it's greatly appreciated!

Jingo
April 1st, 2008, 05:54
Dachannien, thebox mod is simply awesome! Just what I needed. Thank you tons!

Quick question. Is there a way to type the function and bind it do a quick slot? Similar to dragging /die 1d20+5 Spot Check into a quick slot? This way players simply click on quick slot and it will automatically send it to the box?

Dachannien
April 2nd, 2008, 05:57
Jingo: I don't think so. There may be a way to make a slash command that would do the same thing, but it's not something I've looked into. You can put the modifiers separately onto the slots, though, to load up the modifier box, and the modifiers get sent along with the die roll.

Kenshin: I didn't build it personally - some of my players work(ed) in a research lab with a machine shop, and they apparently had plenty of spare aluminum and plexiglass sitting around, so they built it for the group.

The most frightening thing back in the days when we were still using it was how everyone would just wing the dice at the box hole and hope they'd go in. Dice hitting aluminum plating makes a horrible noise. I don't remember which die it was - the gigantic 2"+ radius d20, or the heavy stainless steel d20 - but they flung one of those into the box one time and scared me half to death. :D

Tokuriku
April 2nd, 2008, 12:49
Where you able to submit "The Box" or is there something that doesn't work right on my site?

Dachannien
April 2nd, 2008, 18:03
Haven't had the chance yet.

Jingo
April 2nd, 2008, 18:27
Hey Kenshin,

I created a flash screen demo (https://home.comcast.net/~jareds62/FGWeb/fg_installing_thebox.htm) showing how to install "thebox" mod if you want to put it on your site, let me know how I could go about doing it. It's about 5.5 mb big.

Tokuriku
April 3rd, 2008, 11:37
Wow, it's actually quite nice!
People can easily install the Box after seeing that.

Of course I'd like to be able to put it on my site.
I think this could well be this weeks "How-to" Tutorial and instead of using text, we could just use the Flash Movie.
If you register, I will give you editorial rights for this week and you can write a little explanation and put a placemarker in the text for a link to the movie.
I will do the actual uploading of it and linking just pre-posting it.
How's that?

Oberoten
April 3rd, 2008, 15:02
Jingo : What program did you use to create this tutorial?

joshuha
April 3rd, 2008, 15:37
Jingo : What program did you use to create this tutorial?

He used Wink which can be found here: https://www.debugmode.com/wink/

It's a nice freeware type flash demo recorder.

My work has Camtasia studio available which has some more professional editing capabilities but for most people Wink should suffice.

Oberoten
April 3rd, 2008, 15:40
Looks like a fun program. Thanks. I saw the name of it while it loaded but once cached it just passed right by it.

Jingo
April 4th, 2008, 01:58
Obereton - Yeah Wink is pretty cool. I've been looking for an OpenSource tool like that for a while. I use something similar that my company paid for at work, so I'm glad to have something similar (and FREE) for my personal use. I especially like it for things like after action reports (AARs) when I do war gaming with TacOps. I have visions of FG2 ruleset walkthroughs built with Wink demos.

Kenshin - All right I'm registered and my account is activated at your site. Not sure how I proceed from here. I couldn't see a link to add submissions or anything. Of course I could just be blind.: ;)

Belizan
April 4th, 2008, 10:44
While we're on the subject of the box, I've been getting some weird errors in the version I have incorporated into my ruleset. Well, only one error really. If I'm typing something in the chat window when one of my players makes a hidden roll a die icon will appear in my chat entry box instead of the roll results appearing on my screen. When I hit enter on my chat message the hidden die roll is either displayed appended onto what I was saying (but still hidden from players) or, more commonly, just gets "eaten".

Any idea why that is and how to fix it?

Tokuriku
April 4th, 2008, 15:49
Kenshin - All right I'm registered and my account is activated at your site. Not sure how I proceed from here. I couldn't see a link to add submissions or anything. Of course I could just be blind.: ;)
Ok, sorry about that, I added you in this morning using my Ipod Touch so I couldn't do more then that. You can now submit articles if you go to "The Library". Once there, you should see a "Submit" text button just under the "The Library"'s one. If you can't find it, please contact me here or on the site :)

zifnab69_fr
April 5th, 2008, 11:02
Hello....
the box is fantastic.
but i'll like to put it on the right of the screen and not in the middle...
how can i move it ?
thank you

Tokuriku
April 5th, 2008, 12:46
I have taken the initiative for providing "The Box" on my website after reading the last post because I use a modified version of it that places "The Box" itself in the sidebar on the right just above the "Token Box" which I believe makes it less obstrusive.

I did this with all reserve so that if Dachannien want's it removed, I will remove it at once. Also, I believe that the original version should be availlable so that people can have access to it for what it is, the best hack I have ever seen for FGII. So please Dachannien, do submit it :)

This is the direct link to the Modified Version (https://thepalentir.com/modules/wfdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=1&lid=3).

Dachannien
April 6th, 2008, 03:20
While we're on the subject of the box, I've been getting some weird errors in the version I have incorporated into my ruleset. Well, only one error really. If I'm typing something in the chat window when one of my players makes a hidden roll a die icon will appear in my chat entry box instead of the roll results appearing on my screen. When I hit enter on my chat message the hidden die roll is either displayed appended onto what I was saying (but still hidden from players) or, more commonly, just gets "eaten".

Any idea why that is and how to fix it?

As far as I know, this problem isn't fixable. Part of the reason why this happens is because the dice messages are communicated from the client to the server via the chat system. There may be another way to do this communication so that this problem could be avoided altogether, but I couldn't think of one at the time.

It's also possible for die rolls to get eaten if the DM is holding onto a die when one of the players makes a roll in the box.