PDA

View Full Version : Another 4E One-Shot Fan Demo (insert date)

Xorn
March 24th, 2008, 19:45
Okay, if you would like to play (session will be 4 hours if a weekday, up to 6 hours if a weekend game). I can't do a weekend game this coming weekend (29-30th), and the soonest I could run a game is Wed Mar 26th. That given, please post your interest and playtimes you can manage. I'm not working as late the next two weeks, so it's feasible to start before 01:00 GMT this go around (that's 8 PM CDT).

For new folks that haven't seen the other two threads--I've been running 4E fan playtests/demos for the FG community. Just check some of the other threads for more details.

Priority for players will fall on those that haven't been in one of the demos, first. I'd really like to spread a taste to as many people as possible.

DATE SET: Mar 30, 11:00 GMT (6:00 AM CDT) to 17:00 GMT (12:00 PM CDT)
confirmed - mr_h, Wraith, AnAxeToGrind, Himo, Kzach, Seriul

The game is on! We'll be doing one of three fan demo adventures, characters will be first come, first claim. (If you really want to try a specific character, speak up here.)

If you don't have Ventrilo (https://www.ventrilo.com), then download it at the previous link (it's free) as we'll handle all OOC and rules adjucation over voice, the chat box is for roleplay, fluff, "read this text to players" and dice rolls. :) Connection info will go out in a private message on Saturday, and the server will be up early so folks can download the custom ruleset.

Game ooon!

Xorn
March 24th, 2008, 19:48
EDIT - I can do a Sunday game (Mar 30), if the game starts at 11:00 GMT (6 AM CDT). Game closes at 12:00 CDT (17:00 GMT) no ifs, ands, or buts. If we're not there I'll just say, "Thanks for playing guys, hope it was fun, and turn off the server." :)

Actually, that would be a PERFECT play slot. How many people can make that gametime? Answer that question when signing up. I'll keep a list of who is signed up in the top post.

kalmarjan
March 24th, 2008, 23:21
Xorn,

How would you like the opportunity to play for a chance? I would like the opportunity to run a game... Wednesday at 9PM EST to 1 AM (max) would be perfect for me.

PM me if interested.

Sandeman

Habbalah
March 25th, 2008, 00:32
I would like to sit in on the next game. I can't do it on either of those days. I already have something going on for both days. But generally, Sundays are better than Saturdays. I can go just about any time on a Sunday.

mr_h
March 25th, 2008, 00:47
Those are evil times :(
(might be able to do a sunday one if I forgo sleeping in)

Edit: I can do the sunday one at 7am EST if you intend on doing that. Assuming of course I remember to set the alarm clock ;)

Xorn
March 25th, 2008, 03:19
kalmarjan, I appreciate the invite--if there's room for me and my fiance, I could play. She's been wanting to try an RPG, but she's a total n00b. I've shown her how the basics work on our kitchen table (with Star Wars minis, heh) but I'm anxious to get her into a seat at a game. She already kicks my *** as WoW, why not D&D, too?

mr_h, consider yourself signed up! I know I can make Seriul crawl out of bed that early--if there's two more takers (I need 4 minimum) then we can make a game of it. (I'm not announcing a game time just yet--I'm hoping Wraith can make that time slot.)

Xorn
March 26th, 2008, 12:51
As I don't have any more signups so far, it looks like this game might be a wash. I'll start looking for another day to run a game on. Those interested in playing post your playtimes for Sunday through Thursday. (Not running Friday with 2.4 out for WoW, and Saturday is my game with my regular group.)

Wraith, I'm going to prioritize a timeslot you can make.

mr_h
March 26th, 2008, 13:54
Curses! Stupid timezones/sleep/patches :)

Do you actually need anything special to run campaigns, or does the PHB on Enworld do enough to get through the playtesting? Maybe I'll get together with some friends and test it out.....

Thandril
March 26th, 2008, 16:22
I might be interested, but what do I need to get/do to play I have Fantasy Ground 1 so..

Oberoten
March 26th, 2008, 16:35
First of all you'd need to use the free upgrade to FG II. It will install side by side anyway so should be fine.

From there on out it is pretty much just asking since they had a lack of players. :)

Seriul
March 26th, 2008, 16:38
Curses! Stupid timezones/sleep/patches :)

Do you actually need anything special to run campaigns, or does the PHB on Enworld do enough to get through the playtesting? Maybe I'll get together with some friends and test it out.....

There is a thread called Raiders of Oakhurst. If you read through that it will give you the basic rules, the premade characters and answers a lot of rules questions as you read through the thread itself. If you're not doing that adventure then there's also one called the Return of the Burning Plague. Those are the only ones I'm aware of because if it sounds like it might be a premade adventure I don't read it.

Griogre
March 26th, 2008, 21:48
There are three 4th ed secarios: Raiders of Oakhurst, Return of the Burning Plague, and Second Son. This tread has all the 4th ed stuff links in one place: https://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=221806

What you *really* need are the character sheets, and the D&DXP quick start rules for players and some explanation of conditions and abilites to run the monsters. The character sheets are available from WotC and you can get the quick start rules from ThirdWizard's "Monsters and More" as well as a listing of conditions and such. The 4th Ed PH Lite repeats much of what is in the other sources and adds more, more of it speculative.

The Raiders of Oakhurst thread also has Xorn's FG2 maps and like Seriul said is a good read on some rule questions and experiences running the scenario. It is full of spoilers, of course.

Xorn
March 26th, 2008, 23:40
I've got most of the crunchy bits in a thread on my own forums:

https://forums.eugee.net

Just check the General forum, don't have to be registered to read it.

Wraith
March 27th, 2008, 00:17
I can do really any time I could swing 0600am Central Daylight Time US as an ending time if we can get one more player.

AnAxeToGrind
March 27th, 2008, 00:43
I would be willing to check out a 4E Demo. Wraith gave me a call and said you were trying to put something together. Let me know and I will be there.

Himo
March 27th, 2008, 12:16
I can make Sunday from 11-5 GMT if you still have spaces left?

Xorn
March 27th, 2008, 12:55
You're all in, and that means the game is on!

Awesome!

We've got enough for a game now, and I have two people I can bug the crap out of to fill spaces if needed. As long as we have at least 4, we're good to go. One thing I've discovered about 4E encounters is it's REALLY easy to accurately adjust the encounters.

If I've got four level 1 people, 400 xp should be a "good" encounter. If my planned encounter is 600 xp, I could drop 150-200 xp off the encounter and that will make sure I don't overwhelm the players. Since very creature has an XP value, there's little guesswork involved. :) Seems like once you get to 150% of the "standard" xp encounter, you start making the encounter very dangerous--and by the time you get to 200%, you almost guarantee a TPK.

I hope that balancing ability continues as the levels scale.

Kzach
March 28th, 2008, 00:25
Ooh, am I too late to join? I just bought FGII last night and am pretty keen on the 4e ruleset so I have a decent knowledge of what's come out so far.

If there's an available slot, I can join any time that is good for everyone else as long as I have a bit of warning :)

mr_h
March 28th, 2008, 14:02
yay its on!
Xorn, are you gonna PM us connection info or is that posted somewhere?:)

Xorn
March 28th, 2008, 15:40
Ooh, am I too late to join? I just bought FGII last night and am pretty keen on the 4e ruleset so I have a decent knowledge of what's come out so far.

If there's an available slot, I can join any time that is good for everyone else as long as I have a bit of warning :)

Game time is 06:00 AM CDT (11:00 GMT) to 12:00 PM CDT (17:00 GMT) at the latest. It's going to be a pretty combat centric game--as the primary focus is to show off the crunchy bits of 4E we know, but I might be adding a Skill Challenge, too. I'll put you down as making it Kzach, unless you tell me otherwise.

Connection info will be sent out tomorrow morning (at which point I'm closing the sign-up window), and will include my host alias (it's a good idea to connect before game start to download my custom ruleset) as well as Ventrilo connection info. (You need Ventrilo--the game moves much faster, and it makes it easier for rules explanations.)

Wraith
March 29th, 2008, 00:00
Great I'm looking forward to seeing why everyone is so jazzed about 4e. There are still things I don't like about the system, but I am coming with an open mind. I hope you can sway me Xorn cause I would hate to be the last sane man in an insane world.:)

Kzach
March 29th, 2008, 08:46
Game time is 06:00 AM CDT (11:00 GMT) to 12:00 PM CDT (17:00 GMT) at the latest. It's going to be a pretty combat centric game--as the primary focus is to show off the crunchy bits of 4E we know, but I might be adding a Skill Challenge, too. I'll put you down as making it Kzach, unless you tell me otherwise.
I'm +11 GMT so that makes it... err... 10PM start for me. I think. If that's right, I'll be there with bells on. My only concern is that I'm currently shaped to 64k so I'm not quite sure if Vent will be viable for me. If that's a problem, I'm happy to sit out.

Xorn
March 29th, 2008, 20:58
Cool! Vent really doesn't chew much bandwidth up, so I hope to see you there! I saw Mr_H scoop up the cleric, I'm anxious to see what else goes...

mr_h
March 29th, 2008, 21:37
I snagged him, but in all honesty I'm fine with any class. (I just play clerics the most and figured it'd be a neat way to see the changes:D)

Himo
March 30th, 2008, 10:00
Yeah i went for the Warlock but again I'm happy to try any of the classes they all have interesting changes from the 3.5 version.

scytale2
March 30th, 2008, 17:12
Don't hesitate to let me know if you have a space, Xorn...I'd like to try another class this time!

Wraith
March 30th, 2008, 17:42
I toke the Wizard cause I wanted to see how the magic system worked.

Now that I have played Xorn I am one of the converted masses of 4E. Thank you oh great one. When you want to get a campaign going I would consider myself honored.

Himo
March 30th, 2008, 17:58
Yeah i enjoyed playing the warlock some interesting mechanics.

Will definitely be getting 4ed. It's just whether I manage to get a group to play it in.

Just a pity the Dragon got away. :S

mr_h
March 30th, 2008, 21:36
Game was a lotta fun. I think Xorn has done a nice job presenting the rules to newcomers...it was easy to learn and he gave us a number of situations to try out different things. Good job Xorn :)

Just a pity the Dragon got away. :S

He'll stay away if heknows what's good for him :D
*lucky he got a crit on his one daily spell, wooo!*

Xorn
March 30th, 2008, 22:25
If anyone wants to know, this group got the dragon down to 18 hit points. They almost managed to kill her! It was... hell... it was f---ing awesome!

I'm really glad everyone had a great time, I've run this like four times now and I have just as much fun every time, even if the game is a little hack-n-slash. Because I'm trying to squeeze so much in, I've just been letting the less-crunchy bits fall to the side. I _really_ should have made Meepo's questioning a skill challenge. That could have been really fun!

It will be, from now on, though!

I'm probably not going to run a game this coming Sunday (as I have a game Saturday morning with my play group)--but I'll see about getting another game going soon.

Xorn
March 30th, 2008, 22:25
I toke the Wizard cause I wanted to see how the magic system worked.

Now that I have played Xorn I am one of the converted masses of 4E. Thank you oh great one. When you want to get a campaign going I would consider myself honored.

I'm honored, Wraith, and I just want to say, whether you pick up 4E or not, I'm glad you had a good time--even if you were determined to get around the cover I kept placing in the room! :P

Kzach
March 31st, 2008, 02:27
Mmm... campaign goodness.

Shame there's not enough info to level up characters.

The two most satisfying moments in the game for me were versus the hobgoblins with the Tide of Iron moving one of them out of Phalanx positioning followed up by a Passing Attack on both them from an action point. I really should've shifted into that square between them and was going to until you mentioned Combat Advantage. I still was going to do it but the moment passed and it was someone elses turn.

Still, a very cool moment from the use of powers.

And then the pièce de résistance, the Brute Strike vs. the sleeping dragon (thanks Skamos and everyone else for delaying!). 35 damage. Love it :D

Thanks for a great game, everyone.

Wraith
April 1st, 2008, 01:51
Any time!I had a blast too. Look forward to playing with you guys again some time.

Himo
April 1st, 2008, 09:43
Yeah i enjoyed myself as well and if the game times stay the same I would definetly be up for playing again.

OldWyrm
April 6th, 2008, 19:40
Sweet game! I would enjoy the chance to game with you all again!