PDA

View Full Version : v3.5 D&D upgraded ruleset (v1.2)

Moon Wizard
March 23rd, 2008, 22:38
Here is another revision of my upgraded d20 ruleset for v3.5 D&D. Within the ZIP file is a readme file, which contains a list of the changes and installation instructions.

Download here (https://www.johnandjenn.org/docs/fg2_d20_jpg_v1_2.zip)

A quick summary of the major changes:
* Added d20 Equipment module.
* Enabled draggable feats, weapons, armor and equipment.
* Spells can be reset from right-click menu on spell sheets.
* Initiative can be reset or rolled from right-click menu of combat tracker rounds field.
* Added options for GM die hide/reveal and double-click to modifier box instead of roll.
* ...and more

NOTES:
* I've been re-using graphics for different buttons, so if there are any graphics people out there that want to make some new buttons for the new features (client tracker, options dialog), I would appreciate the help.
* I've ran into some challenges getting combat tracker clearing, loading and saving done. When clearing the tracker with a client logged in, the combat tracker goes into an infinite window creation/deletion loop. Let me know if you can help track down the problem.

Cheers,
JPG

Archmage
March 24th, 2008, 05:12
I'd be willing to help you out with graphics. Sent you a PM with further details.

Archmage
March 30th, 2008, 05:31
I was messing around with the ruleset and I had 2 FG instances going. For some reason, the User options for drag rolling and double-click rolling do not seem to work on the client. Is that because I'm running 2 instances on the same machine, or is it a bug?

Edit: Adding the options dialog back to the player desktop seems to have solved the problem.

docplutonium
March 31st, 2008, 14:41
I agree, double clicking a skill or stat is NOT generating the d20 die roll into the box, nothing happens.

But I love you! Your MOD is the BEE's KNEES!!! But I just noticed that the double-click any skill for a roll is not working, that's all.

Also, on the Weapon Combat Mini, if you click the check box to roll, that works properly, but if you grab the dice from the mini and try to drag and drop those to the rolling box you get an error window stating the crit value is set to nil. Looking at the mini there is no field presented for weapon crit value, so I suspect that you have to

1) modify your code not to look for such a field if Drag and Dropped from the Mini

OR

2) Add the Crit field to the Mini so that the checking code will find a value on drag and drop

Also,

On the Combat mini for the player characters, the Ammo box seems mis-aligned to the rest of the weapon as well at it's text value contained within.

Please do not construe what I am writing as complaining, even with these issues my players have swore to me that they never want to go back to the original system. You MOD is FREAKING AWESOME!! But if I could point out a few bugs and help make your MOD better in any way, then I would most happily do that.

Keep Up the Awesome Work!
Doc

Oberoten
March 31st, 2008, 14:48
Try the /opt command. :)

Archmage
April 3rd, 2008, 00:07
I've taken it upon myself to create a more compact comprehensive mini-sheet for this ruleset. I don't like the docking that the default minisheets do. I don't think it ends up being very "mini".

My goal here is to create a mini-sheet that is significantly smaller than the full character sheet, and complete enough that you should be able to do most of your playing without having the full character sheet open. Right now I only have the Combat section completed. When it's all finished, I'll release it. I've attached a screenshot of what I have so far. All the fields are appropriately linked to the full sheet, and all modifiers will take advantage of Moon_wizard's rolling options.

Jozie
April 3rd, 2008, 23:59
Very Nice. Great work

docplutonium
April 10th, 2008, 19:22
OK, here is a bug I think I have found...

Don't know if it matters with the new mini you are designing, but I will give you the feedback anyways...

When you have set (in the options) that double clicking a stat or skill generates an adjusted d20 success\failure roll, this only works from the DM host. Others connecting to the host do NOT have this ability.

Basically, I am the DM, I can open their character sheets and double click the "heal" skill and have a d20 roll. But they cannot do that from their clients.

Check it out, and if I am wrong I would love to know how you got it working, (or I messed it up as may be the case), I am jonesing to get this feature implemented for my players.

Thanks
Doc

Archmage
April 11th, 2008, 20:26
Did you set that option in all the clients too, or just the host? Setting the option on the DM side does not force the clients to also use that option. They must each set their rolling options individually.

docplutonium
April 12th, 2008, 00:39
Didn't think of that!

Will see on Monday what happens.

Thanks
Doc

docplutonium
April 13th, 2008, 01:12
YEP!

Works fine!

Thanks for the heads up!
Doc

takhomasac
April 14th, 2008, 22:31
I've taken it upon myself to create a more compact comprehensive mini-sheet for this ruleset. I don't like the docking that the default minisheets do. I don't think it ends up being very "mini".

My goal here is to create a mini-sheet that is significantly smaller than the full character sheet, and complete enough that you should be able to do most of your playing without having the full character sheet open. Right now I only have the Combat section completed. When it's all finished, I'll release it. I've attached a screenshot of what I have so far. All the fields are appropriately linked to the full sheet, and all modifiers will take advantage of Moon_wizard's rolling options.
I think that is a superb idea, and the graphic you posted looks good.

I wonder if there is a way to shrink it down more (just graphic-size-wise) without altering each individual graphic file? I know effectively nothing about how the character sheet (and potential mini character sheet) is structured.

One of my pet-peeves would be scrolling down to get to my other weapons. Would it be possible to incorporate some method of selecting which weapons/attacks you wanted to show up on the mini-sheet?

If you needed any assistance with graphic grunt-work, I’d be happy to lend a hand. I’m not particularly skilled, but I could at least be an additional input source.

Archmage
April 15th, 2008, 00:35
I wonder if there is a way to shrink it down more (just graphic-size-wise) without altering each individual graphic file? I know effectively nothing about how the character sheet (and potential mini character sheet) is structured.
Well, as far as making the whole sheet smaller, I don't see how I could do that without having to separate things onto more tabs. While that could be done, part of the goal is to keep everything combat related on one page. If I just shrink the dimensions, I'll have to make the fonts and visual elements smaller, which will make them pretty hard to see if you're using a very high resolution. That's just the nature of bitmap assets.

One of my pet-peeves would be scrolling down to get to my other weapons. Would it be possible to incorporate some method of selecting which weapons/attacks you wanted to show up on the mini-sheet?
Yeah, I have a similar peeve. I did manage to get the mini to show 2 attacks at a time, which is the same number that the full character sheet shows. What I'm thinking I might do is put a number box under the name line in the full sheet and allow you to set what position each attack gets in the sort order. Using this numerical sort, you could just put your two most used attacks at the top of the list (regardless of their name) and then you wouldn't need to scroll most of the time. If the attacks you use most ever change, you could just change the sort order.

Moon Wizard
April 15th, 2008, 02:57
The combat mini-sheet in the ruleset can be resized, so that you can show many weapon options. I typically have the window open to show 4-5 possible weapon attacks at one time.

Cheers,
JPG

takhomasac
April 15th, 2008, 18:16
The combat mini-sheet in the ruleset can be resized, so that you can show many weapon options. I typically have the window open to show 4-5 possible weapon attacks at one time.

Cheers,
JPG
I'm sorry JPG, I was referring to the work being done by Archmage on a more compact mini-sheet. I really like and appreciate the work you've done too, but I can see the benefit of having the mini-sheets compounded into a single window.

With the current altered ruleset, I will often have 6-7 min-sheets open at the same time, which ends up using the majority of my screen space anyway.

As another suggestion for the ruleset in general, I would like to have the ability to add "tabs" to my client Journal, similar to the way the host can add tabs to the Story book. In one of the campaigns I play in, I keep track of the daily occurrences of our adventure (I make a new entry for every two weeks) as well as custom spells and items. This becomes cumbersome after a time because of the large number of different entry links. It would be awesome to have a way to sort them into different tabs.

Hmmph, I should just learn to code so I can be more of a contributor and less of a leech.

JonBeard
April 23rd, 2008, 21:39

How close are you to releasing at this point?

Archmage
April 24th, 2008, 05:27
How close are you to releasing at this point?
Combat and Skill pages are at what I would call a releasable stage. I've been busy with some other stuff, including converting this ruleset for Star Wars Saga Edition. So it's gone a little slower than expected.