PDA

View Full Version : How do I type on a map?

merkvah
May 9th, 2024, 20:43
One of the cool new features of FGU is the ability to have multiple layers, some of which are hidden from the players. This means you can have a layer that only the GM can see.

I like to use this layer to overlay information that only the GM needs to see, like where a trap is or room labels or such. But some of the information I want to add to a map, such as "30ft. drop to canyon floor" is unwieldy to make a token out of. You COULD make a token out of it, but what if the next adventure needs a 35 foot drop?

Is there a way to type information on the GM layer? One possible solution would be to use the paint option to write onto the GM layer with the mouse, but that just looks bad, especially if I want to share my creations with other GMs.

Thanks for your attention to this!

Trenloe
May 9th, 2024, 20:48
You can't type text on an image. It's in the feature request system - search for "Ability to add text to maps" - it's showing in the design stage at this point.

Find the feature request site here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featurerequests/featurerequests.php

Griogre
May 9th, 2024, 21:33
It's old fashion, but what you can do is add a GM only map pin with the information. If it's stuff like the 30' drop then you can just put it in the story name.

merkvah
May 10th, 2024, 03:26
It's old fashion, but what you can do is add a GM only map pin with the information. If it's stuff like the 30' drop then you can just put it in the story name.

Thanks. =) It's a decent workaround.

merkvah
May 10th, 2024, 03:27
You can't type text on an image. It's in the feature request system - search for "Ability to add text to maps" - it's showing in the design stage at this point.

Find the feature request site here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featurerequests/featurerequests.php

Thank you for your time! I'll check it out.

Lonewolf
May 10th, 2024, 08:04
Thanks. =) It's a decent workaround.

Any story entry can be dragged onto the map as a pin. On mouse over the name of it appears giving a quick label. You can of course click the pin and bring up the contents. These pins are can also be shared out to players as required. They then get to see the label and can open the pin up.

Its not a straight forward as writing on the map but pretty handy anyway.

Trenloe
May 10th, 2024, 17:09
But some of the information I want to add to a map, such as "30ft. drop to canyon floor" is unwieldy to make a token out of. You COULD make a token out of it, but what if the next adventure needs a 35 foot drop?
Have a generic token that indicates a height change, add this to the map then type in the chat window (but don't press enter): "35' drop" (or whatever you want) then drag the text from the chat window text entry and drop it on the token. - this will add your text as a tooltip, hover over the token to see the text.