PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds: Aces show wrong number rolled?

smataka
March 22nd, 2008, 23:56
Thanks to all the contributors to this forum. I have already found several answers to questions before I had to ask them. But I haven't seen anyone else mention a problem I've seen. Eight of us are using the Savage Worlds ruleset, and we've noticed that when you roll an ace, the number on the next die does not match what the chat window shows. Has anyone else seen this? We've decided to use what the chat window displays, since the dice disappear after a second, but it's often confusing to see a REALLY good roll turn into just a pretty good roll (or the other way around).

Thanks!

Sorontar
March 23rd, 2008, 00:07
I've not played SW yet but I have noticed when using d20 ruleset we often get discrepancies between what shows on screen when the dice come to rest and what hits the chat window.

I know it has been discussed previously with regards to d20.

Is it just when an ace is rolled that it strikes in SW or is it just more obvious because your eyes are drawn to the screen by the ace?

Maybe the SW bods will come back with an answer, they keep all kinds of odd hours ;)

Kalan
March 23rd, 2008, 10:57
We keep odd hours cuz we're spread all over the globe ;)

Anyhow - to answer the OP's question - the primary reason for the discrepancy is that the die engine (ie. what actually randomizes the number), and the dice physics engine are not in sync. The calculation to determine the number is a little bit faster than what the die actually ends up rolling...or at least that's what I've been told by our coder ;)

We tend to notice it a little bit more in the SW ruleset than in many other rulesets because of the number of dice that are actually rolled, especially when you're lucky enough to score a large number of aces in a row. Suffice to say we know of the issue, and as far as I know, there's no real solution (other than not aceing so much ;) )

Sorontar
March 23rd, 2008, 14:11
We keep odd hours cuz we're spread all over the globe ;)

Well there is that but you're all odd ;)

Kalan
March 24th, 2008, 09:49
Well there is that but you're all odd ;)

No argument there :D Though I must insist its our crew who are across the pond in North America who keep the odd hours. I have a standard work day here ;)

ajs
March 24th, 2008, 16:14
I've seen this problem even when there is only one ace, not many. In fact, that's often when it happens.

We'll see a 6 and 6 show up on the dice, and expect to see another die roll, but then the chat window displays a 6 and a 3.

It's not a huge deal, but dice rolling is a core function of gameplay, and it doesn't seem like it should be an impossible fix. Unless what you're telling us is that it's related to network connections...?

joshuha
March 24th, 2008, 16:31
I've seen this problem even when there is only one ace, not many. In fact, that's often when it happens.

We'll see a 6 and 6 show up on the dice, and expect to see another die roll, but then the chat window displays a 6 and a 3.

It's not a huge deal, but dice rolling is a core function of gameplay, and it doesn't seem like it should be an impossible fix. Unless what you're telling us is that it's related to network connections...?

This is something not related to Savage Worlds at all but core Fantasy Grounds functionality. Its being looked at but its difficult to reproduce in controlled environments.

Its a matter of the random math function not matching the physics of the dice simulation and syncing it across all clients. So network connection could play a role but Smiteworks is troubleshooting the issue.

joshuha
March 25th, 2008, 18:25
This is something not related to Savage Worlds at all but core Fantasy Grounds functionality. Its being looked at but its difficult to reproduce in controlled environments.

Its a matter of the random math function not matching the physics of the dice simulation and syncing it across all clients. So network connection could play a role but Smiteworks is troubleshooting the issue.

Okay I stand totally wrong on this after looking at the Savage Worlds code. In order to get all the ace dice to show in the same die string as the original roll and get a total (instead of a bunch of seperate rolls) it uses the base results and then math functions to calculate the aces (repeating until none ace). It then stores these results and throws an appropiate amount of dice for the graphical effect of the ace but the numbers have already been predetermined and no way for me to set the physics of the dice to match that predetermined result (although that would be cool).

smataka
March 26th, 2008, 01:16
Oh well. We'll just continue as we have been. Ignore the extra dice and just use what the chat window tells us we rolled. Thanks for the response.

joshuha
March 26th, 2008, 01:36
Oh well. We'll just continue as we have been. Ignore the extra dice and just use what the chat window tells us we rolled. Thanks for the response.

I may have found another way to do this that would allow the results of the actual ace dice count but still roll it all on one line. Will let you know if I can get it into the Savage Worlds patch.