PDA

View Full Version : Chat Log Scrubber released

joshuha
March 20th, 2008, 18:21
I am releasing the first of several FG utility tools I have been planning. This one is similar to one I released for FG 1 that can take your chatlog.html file and do some cleaning of the HTML.

The options are pretty self explanatory and at no point does the original log ever get touched. It will save the output as a new file. The split by day feature will also split the log by date and append that to the name you give the output file.

This does use .NET 2.0 framework but the installer will detect and install it if its not on the system.

Any other questions or suggestions feel free to post them here.

*Update*
Now supports UTF7 characters (Swedish and other European characters) and outputs the file in UTF8 (since UTF7 is good for reading but not standard write file).

Oberoten
March 20th, 2008, 18:42
Good show. :) Only wish it'd handle ÅÄÖ and other non unicode standard characters a bit better.

Sigurd
March 20th, 2008, 18:48
Thank you for all your efforts.

Sigurd

joshuha
March 20th, 2008, 18:48
Good show. :) Only wish it'd handle ÅÄÖ and other non unicode standard characters a bit better.

What fails in the program in this regard? Are the characters there in the original chatlog but mangled/missing in the output?

Malovech
March 20th, 2008, 18:54
Most excellent. Yoink!

Oberoten
March 20th, 2008, 19:19
What fails in the program in this regard? Are the characters there in the original chatlog but mangled/missing in the output?

ÅÄÖ tends to get turned into

Logfile : Som sagt ihopräknaren funkar inte ännu...
<Outputs>
GM: Som sagt ihopr�knaren funkar inte �nnu...

joshuha
March 20th, 2008, 19:31

<Outputs>

Can you e-mail me a log for testing? I don't have much experience coding for unicode characters but sure a simple switch in the program could make this trivial.

Valarian
March 20th, 2008, 21:56
Like it lots ... many thanks

arnon
March 20th, 2008, 23:54
This is cool :)

longarms
March 21st, 2008, 03:44
cool, thanks!

joshuha
March 21st, 2008, 15:26

<Outputs>

Ok try reinstalling the utility now from the above attachment. I let it handle UTF-7 so it should work now. If not let me know.

Oberoten
March 21st, 2008, 18:29
Joshua contacted me and worked through the problem. It now even handles the elusive characters like &#197;&#196;&#214;. GREAT work.

A round of applause is in order.

Jingo
March 28th, 2008, 04:39
Wow! Awesome work Joshua! Thanks a ton!

You said...

I am releasing the first of several FG utility tools I have been planning.

So... curious minds want to know. What else is in the works?

I for one vote for some simple way to create/modify rulesets and character sheets! That would just be... incredible. I think I would even pay money for it.

joshuha
March 28th, 2008, 05:16
Wow! Awesome work Joshua! Thanks a ton!

You said...

So... curious minds want to know. What else is in the works?

I for one vote for some simple way to create/modify rulesets and character sheets! That would just be... incredible. I think I would even pay money for it.

Well what I work on (for now) is outside type tools. My immediate plans for the tools is:

1) Improvement to the Chat Log Scrubber to allow it to identify all the unique identities and assign pictures to them. Then when the HTML is spit out would embed the images at beginning of line.

2) A tool to allow exporting and importing of PCs between campaigns (or alternatively figure out a way to make them exportable in a module to be dragged and dropped into another campaign, this would be better for adventures).

3) Generic character sheet. Similar to the one floating around but a bit more modular.

As far as in-game things there are plans for some nifty stuff but most of it is in the design stage now so I can't quite yet give out details. But ruleset plugins is on that has been mentioned before by the developers before as an example. Basically an easy way to allow people to share out code or new trackers, etc. without requiring complete ruleset overwrites.

Belizan
April 26th, 2008, 13:15
I'm sure you've been quite busy, Joshuha, but I recently got the chance to start using your chatlog scrubber, and I thought I'd post some feedback. It's pretty great so far, but there were a few features that for me, at least, would make it even better.

Since you're using .Net, I thought it would be really nice if you modified the scrubber to add a floating rtf text edit box with a few up/down/doit type buttons (you could add more, potentially if you felt really ambitious). Then when you setup the scrubber, rather then just choosing a binary, purge OOC, whispers, etc., you could add a third option--Query. If Query was selected, when the scrubber detected a line it would otherwise have removed under that option, it would instead display it in the floating text box and give you the chance to either remove or keep the line. It would be even better if you gave the person the option to edit the lines immediately around it. For instance I know in my games we often have lines of text where someone will make some sort of confusing typo and then immediately follow it up with an ooc correction. Being able to back patch these on the fly during the scrubbing by hiliting OOC lines would be great. Not to mention purging ooc whispers while keeping IC whispers.

This same window could also be used for the second feature I'd love to see. As an alternative to log splitting by day, you could have the logger bring up each near session start message and let the editor choose where to start the log (skipping over all the initial chatter that tends to happen at the start of sessions while people are gathering). Similarly, you could let the editor choose where to end each session, scrubbing out all the remaining lines between the selecting line (that he/she scrolled up/down to) up until the next session start. Again, you could further extend this feature to allow the user to label the session and create a simply html ToC for the sessions at the start of the scrubbed log.

Finally, a feature to detect repeated lines that differ only by the tag (Id, ooc vs. act, etc.). Again using the preview window the option to subjectively remove duplicate lines would be even better. I know personally, as an FG DM of puny interface skills, I often wind up sending text lines twice because I either forgot to switch ids, or sent an IC message OOC or vise versa. It'd be great to be able to easily patch up those little foibles before posting the session logs 8).

Anyway, just some feedback ideas in case you felt inspired :). Thanks for the chatlog scrubbing tool!

Alyais
October 13th, 2008, 17:06
Ello!

I'm having an unusual error where the program closes. I didn't have this error on my home machine but am having it on my laptop.

Home PC: Windows Xp Pro.
Laptop: Windows Media Center

Chat Log Scrubber
Chat log Scrubber has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

I currently have .net 2.0 framework.

Griogre
October 13th, 2008, 19:42
I'd try updating your .NET framework I think they went up to 2.2 or 2.3 on that version. There are several versions of each major update - they are up to 3 now. The framework is mostly backward compatible.

spliskamatyshak
October 24th, 2008, 05:44
The chatlog scrubber no longer works. It removes no lines and produces an empty file.

Valarian
October 24th, 2008, 08:35
Chatlog scrubber does work, used it couple of days ago. Suggest problem is with local computer or defective user.

Oberoten
October 24th, 2008, 10:18
Now now... No reason to be rude about it.

Anyway, try a complete uninstall and reinstall of the scrubber. If that doesn't help try the same for the .net components. It might take a uninstall of both and reinstalling but I am to thinking that it is probably a corruption in the communication there.

spliskamatyshak
October 24th, 2008, 14:21
I edited the log to use with the scrubber too well. It worked fine once I put the line indicating when the chat log was opened back in.

Later,

Draxxiss
September 11th, 2009, 04:06
I get this error only when checking the option to Mask GM Rolls.

File read error!
Length cannot be less than zero.
Parameter name: length

I hit OK and check the new file, it is blank. Any ideas?

gmkieran
July 1st, 2010, 04:36
I realize this is an old, cold thread, but I am now getting the same error as Draxxis reported, except that I have previously run the scrubber successfully on the same file with "Mask GM Rolls" checked (and everything else for that matter). I have a current thread (subj Chatlog Scrubber Error) in the Houses of Healing, if someone wants to reply there. Was a solution ever found?

Blahness98
July 17th, 2012, 03:14
Hate to raise this thread from the dead, but does this tool still work with all the upgrades FG has gone though or any tips on making this work?

Moon Wizard
July 17th, 2012, 18:55
I believe that this is still working. The user "The Crusader of Metal" reported an issue in v2.9.0 that prevented it from working, but it is addressed in the v2.9.1 beta which is scheduled for release early next week. You can also try v2.9.1 by selecting Test mode in the Settings.

Regards,
JPG