PDA

View Full Version : Shared Maps Between Campaigns

Jingo
March 19th, 2008, 20:36
I'm running two separate campaigns I'm running at the same time, and I have some generic tactical and inn maps that I downloaded that could work for both. Is there a way to put generic maps in just one location and have them appear in the images folder for either campaign?

Xorn
March 19th, 2008, 21:50
Yes, export them as a module. Real simple to do, too.

Make a new campaign, call it "Generic Maps" or something like that. In the campaign make a new entry for Story, Maps, Personalities, and Items. (This is to prevent a bug that can happen with modules.)

Now add all your maps/images you want to this campaign (you can get rid of the blank entry by the way, you just need to make sure each category has something in it), then once you're all finished, you can type /export in the chat window.

Put a name for the module (will display in the module selection window), a name for the file (will be in the "modules" folder) an author name (displayed under the module name, and that's all you have to input (don't worry about the other stuff).

In the middle section of the window, select to export the Maps section (and any other sections you have generic stuff you want available with this module) and then right click and choose "Export". It should say successful.

Now open either of your normal campaigns, and open the module selection window (top right, an open book icon) and "open" the book for your new module. (Double click or drag.)

Now on your maps window, there's an extra tab, with your maps! They are accessible in any campaign using the same ruleset. Note that you can make your campaign accept any d20 ruleset module (even if the campaign is different) by adding one line to a file in your ruleset, but I doubt you're using custom rulesets, just yet.

Hope this helps!

Jingo
March 20th, 2008, 04:57
Thanks Xorn. I didn't think to make them a custom campaign. That's a good idea. I still wish there were another way of doing it so whenever I added a new image I wouldn't have to go and open the generic maps campaign and export the file as a mod. But it's better than trying to remember what's in one campaign and moving it over to the other.

Actually, I am using custom rulesets. One is just the straight d20 one (named d20_Jingo), but with a one script change so I can use the combat tracker script that allows multiple combat trackers (very cool, that!), and the other ruleset is a True20 custom Wheel of Time ruleset (named True20_WOT).

How would I get these two rulesets to use the generic maps module?

Xorn
March 20th, 2008, 13:59
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8114

There.