PDA

View Full Version : More than one token per NPC?

Ludd_G
April 9th, 2024, 13:33
Hi,

Now that we have a more developed system for NPC tokens with the advent of 2.5D maps, would it be possible to expand the system to add a number of different tokens (both flat and 2.5D) for an NPC type when they appear as a group within an encounter? When I'm playing face to face I take pride in that all my NPCs are represented by individual unique minis, wherever possible, and I'd love to be able to replicate that variety in Fantasy Grounds. Any chance in the near future?

Loving the work that's being done.

Cheers,

Simon

damned
April 9th, 2024, 15:22
Instead of 4 Goblins
Duplicate the Goblin NPC record as Green Goblin, Grey Goblin, Black Goblin and give each one different tokens/images.

LordEntrails
April 9th, 2024, 16:08
You can add it to the Feature Request List if its not already there; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featurerequests

Ludd_G
April 9th, 2024, 17:03
Instead of 4 Goblins
Duplicate the Goblin NPC record as Green Goblin, Grey Goblin, Black Goblin and give each one different tokens/images.

Hi Damned,

yes, that's what I've always done in the past, I was just flagging up to the devs that it may be a desirable QoL feature (prep less, play more) to look into whilst they're expanding on the token functionality at the moment. I'm guessing I'm not the only one with hundreds of great tokens just itching to make up a horde or two! :D

I'll add it to the list!

Cheers all,

Simon

anstett
April 9th, 2024, 20:14
In 2e it works to just add in Goblin to your encounter. Then set the number to X (3 for example) and then drag a new portrait to each of the images in the Encounter for three different goblins to appear.

claedawg
April 9th, 2024, 20:30
In 2e it works to just add in Goblin to your encounter. Then set the number to X (3 for example) and then drag a new portrait to each of the images in the Encounter for three different goblins to appear.

I think that also works in 5E.

LordEntrails
April 9th, 2024, 20:45
That is what damned described. What the OP wants is for either indivdual or automatic selection from a pool of tokens. So you create an Encounter and set the number of goblins to 5, and FG looks at a pool of tokens (name, location, tag?) and then gives each instance of those goblins a different token.

Zacchaeus
April 9th, 2024, 21:06

You must be using an extension if that is the case. If you add a goblin to an encounter and then make that three; you can change the token of all three by dragging in a new token and dropping it onto the token on the far left of the name. (This is the same as in 5e and in most other rulesets as well). If you want three different tokens for the three goblins you need to drag in a goblin three times and then change the token in each case. This is what the OP is doing but wants to be able to allocate a number of tokens for Goblin and have FG automatically pick a random one for each of the goblins in the encounter - without having to drag each goblin in separately.

claedawg
April 9th, 2024, 21:56
You must be using an extension if that is the case. If you add a goblin to an encounter and then make that three; you can change the token of all three by dragging in a new token and dropping it onto the token on the far left of the name. (This is the same as in 5e and in most other rulesets as well). If you want three different tokens for the three goblins you need to drag in a goblin three times and then change the token in each case. This is what the OP is doing but wants to be able to allocate a number of tokens for Goblin and have FG automatically pick a random one for each of the goblins in the encounter - without having to drag each goblin in separately.

FOr 5E - I just tried changing the individual token in the Encounter and they would not take the new token, only the master entry will take a new token. I swear I used to be able to change each individual in a group of the same NPC.

LordEntrails
April 9th, 2024, 22:35
FOr 5E - I just tried changing the individual token in the Encounter and they would not take the new token, only the master entry will take a new token. I swear I used to be able to change each individual in a group of the same NPC.
I once said the same thing, maybe a year ago. Cuz I could have sworn I did it that way too. But Mr Z and Moon etc convince me I was smoking crack. *G*

claedawg
April 9th, 2024, 23:32
I once said the same thing, maybe a year ago. Cuz I could have sworn I did it that way too. But Mr Z and Moon etc convince me I was smoking crack. *G*

Maybe it was a bug and it got fixed in an update by accident, lol.

Laerun
April 10th, 2024, 00:11
Hi,

Now that we have a more developed system for NPC tokens with the advent of 2.5D maps, would it be possible to expand the system to add a number of different tokens (both flat and 2.5D) for an NPC type when they appear as a group within an encounter? When I'm playing face to face I take pride in that all my NPCs are represented by individual unique minis, wherever possible, and I'd love to be able to replicate that variety in Fantasy Grounds. Any chance in the near future? The auto-variety art assets things might need to be a requested thing for the future.

Loving the work that's being done.

Cheers,

Simon

It is going to take some time to go back through and add in all of the assets required to allow for this. Smiteworks and the contractors have been working on this a lot from what I can tell. In the interim, for custom PCs, that will be on the GM's and players to do. Smiteworks has some base tokens for players and such in the FG Heroic Male/Female PCs folder, which has both tokens and the full 2D view art assets. The rest of the official content is going to take awhile to convert and add in all of the back catalog items.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?80375-Pre-defining-the-scale-and-positioning-of-images-in-3D-space&p=708144&viewfull=1#post708144

deer_buster
April 10th, 2024, 17:30
I have just submitted a request to be able to apply tint programmatically to defined portions of token images. This could be used to automatically vary coloration on tokens much like different paint jobs at the table. It would most likely require new token images, but possibly not.

Ludd_G
April 11th, 2024, 10:57
Hi all,

I guess what I had in my mind's eye was more akin to an expansion of the already existing new NPC Picture and Tokens window. With, instead of Full Body, 1 x Token - Flat and 1x Token - Camera, there could maybe be a single Full Body slot, below which there would be, for example, a column of 4 slots for Token - Flat and a column of 4 slots for Token - Camera, which the GM would populate if desired. When placing the NPC token one of the (up to) 4 Flat and (probably linked) 4 Camera tokens would be assigned.

I am already choosing the appropriate Full Body, Flat and Camera tokens for my NPCs and would be more than happy to search, edit, refine more of these tokens per NPC type for my games.

This would then be available every time I used, for example, a group of Orcs, or Skeletons, or Goblins etc. etc. in an encounter for the rest of what could be a years long campaign, thus saving me loads of prep time when creating encounters.

I hope this makes sense?

Cheers,

Simon