PDA

View Full Version : FG2Full less than Demo?

Architeuthis
March 15th, 2008, 06:51
My full version is not showing the "d20 references" and "d20 monsters" that was shown in my Demo version?

Is there a location I need to download and place a d20 ruleset to have this functionality? I can't tell for sure if I even have an actual d20 ruleset in place.

I have just gotten FG2 full and have tried looking for posts dealing with this problem and just getting more confused on setting up things to fit my gaming needs.

Forgive me if I am totally overlooking something, but I was expecting a little easier setup for a non-coder.

Griogre
March 15th, 2008, 07:46
In FG2, unlike FG1 (which the Demo is based on) there are different types of modules besides adventure modules. The books you are looking for are now "library" modules. To get them to appear in the library just press the book button in the top right called modules when you hover you mouse over it.

In the full version in the default d20 ruleset you will see four "books". Double click on the green or blue book to activate these modules. As long as you are here you should also probably drag a green checkmark onto the space under the brown open book of the blue player modules. This allows player who connect to you to open these two player referance books.

If you have anymore questions just ask.

Edit: there is a very lengthy sticky in the tavern that talks about the new features FG2 added. It would most likely be worth the time to read for you. Here's the thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5936

Valarian
March 15th, 2008, 12:58
There's also the user guide here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide/

Architeuthis
March 16th, 2008, 00:56
LOL! Thank You! I got it now.
I had opened and looked in the "Library" (right clicking even) then closed it not seeing anything in it or a way to import.
Then looking in the "Modules" book button, I tried clicking, double clicking, and click-drag open book, expecting a window to pop open or an icon to appear on the table top area. Since with all the clicking I saw no obvious change I thought it wasn't working lol.

But Thank you, now looking in the (was empty) Library I see how and where it works. Thanx

and yes thank you Valerian, I looked in the userguide and found where to do what I was trying, but since it wasn't obvious (for me) where they the reference books were to be viewed, I thought I was missing a file somewhere and spent my time looking where I would import it.

I would suggest to default an opening of the Library window when module book changes have been made. That would help new users. With a check/uncheck box in the Library window to disable the auto open option for experienced users. I may be the only one to have this problem in trying to use the program, but I doubt it.

New users would also greatly benefit from demo videos of the main steps of the processes to get started. I hope this is going to be in the works. I know I wish this program didn't have such a tricky learning curve to figure out all the bells and whistles.

I think our gaming group thought we could adapt our campaign without missing a game session, but I am afraid it may take an evening or more figuring out all the hiccups of adapting our campaign from a different online gametable to FG2, and get every player onto the same page. But I like what we see and think our ~ $100 is well spent. Thanx again for the help.

Foen
March 16th, 2008, 07:53
Hi Architeuthis and welcome to the forums! If you have any difficulties getting started, there is an active and helpful community so please post any questions here.

Have fun

Stuart

Architeuthis
March 16th, 2008, 14:13
Thanx Foen,
My gaming circle and I are sure to have questions, we are all looking forward to enjoying all that FG has to offer.

Valarian
March 16th, 2008, 16:23
As a plug, there's also iCon08 starting on the 22nd March. There will be a few FGII games run as part of the week long Virtual Gaming Convention. Check it out at https://www.iconvention.org, or the Four Ugly Monsters forums.

Griogre
March 16th, 2008, 17:49
I think our gaming group thought we could adapt our campaign without missing a game session, but I am afraid it may take an evening or more figuring out all the hiccups of adapting our campaign from a different online gametable to FG2, and get every player onto the same page. But I like what we see and think our ~ $100 is well spent. Thanx again for the help.
Unless you need a very specialized character sheet there is no reason for you to miss a session. I choose FG over the others just for that reason. You don't have to have anything input other than the characters (and you only really need hps for the characters). If you use a voice application it is even easier because the GM can read right off his notes.

I am speaking from experience on this. I bought the licenses for the whole group 20 minutes before our regular session (I was already running a regular online game) to get the group discount and then had then pay me by paypal. As their payments hit my account I sent them the links and license keys. They downloaded and installed FG. We started that game 10 minutes late. Now I was using voice so we were all connected and when troubles came up we just talked people through them.

To get people acclimated to FG I backed up and re-ran the last BBEG fight I had run (good thing it was a practice because they lost that time around :p ). Now, I had a group use to playing online - but it really isn't that hard to push tokens around on a map, and roll some dice in FG. They only thing you really need to teach your players is how to make hot keys and how to roll the dice in the chat window so the rolls stick.

What I’m trying to say is that almost all data input is *optional* for the GM and don’t let it hold you back from starting your game. The most important player input is their characters – and most players know how to fill in a character sheet.

George Loken
December 23rd, 2008, 21:42
I recently purchased the full version.

My library is empty and in additon my modules screen is empty thus I have no d20 rule books at all. Did I miss a downlaod or do I need to purchase the basic books?

Oberoten
December 24th, 2008, 00:25
A few questions so we can help you better :

Have you run the updater?
What OS do you run? (Vista? Xp?)

Everything should be there. You get the basic library with FG so I am thinking an install-error.

Try uninstalling and re-installing. If you are under Vista, you should actually NOT run the install as an admin.

- Obe

George Loken
December 24th, 2008, 00:58
I had run the update but there must have been an error installing it I reinstalled it and everything looks good now.

Thanks
George

Oberoten
December 24th, 2008, 07:36
It probably got interrupted by something then. :) Good luck and merry gaming.

- Obe