PDA

View Full Version : Updated for Latest FG - Cloud or LAN - which is better?

RobboNJ69
April 2nd, 2024, 04:22
Hello All,

I'm hoping to get a consensus on which, if either, is better for performance: Cloud or LAN.

I've read through a bunch of posts and threads, and I've seen comments from moderators/power users/SW team members on all sides of the discussion.

On August 10th, 2020, Trenloe said: "LAN is better for performance as you have a direct connection without a middle connectivity broker." But then plenty of posts say it doesn't make any difference, though I haven't seen that question asked recently.

Ignoring the complexity of the setup, map size, computer power, ISP issues, etc, if all other things are equal, which is faster?
What's the word for the latest version of Fantasy Grounds in 2024?

Thanks, and keep up the great work!
-Rob

Moon Wizard
April 2nd, 2024, 04:55
With the Cloud option, the code automatically determines which connection type to set up based on the host and player network topology, with a fallback to relays if the local networks of either host or player is too restrictive. That would be the only overhead would be the relays if needed. All the players need is your FG user name (and password, if any).

With the LAN option, you have to manage any network access yourself (port forwarding, IP address sharing, etc.). If the networks are too restrictive, the connection just won't work.

So, in practice, Cloud will generally always work better, because it is simpler for users (name vs. IP), easier for GMs (no port forwarding setup, especially if nested network address translation points), and is better at making connections (relay fallback for restrictive networks which wouldn't work at all with LAN option).

Regards,
JPG