PDA

View Full Version : Make Record Public Without Forcing Popup for Connected Players

rocketvaultgames
April 1st, 2024, 21:06
Is there a way to make a record public without forcing it to popup for connected players?

If I pre-share things before the session, then the players may see them and be spoiled.

If I share at the time they need to see something, there can be a variable lag among the players as it is pushed to them which always causes an awkward break in the game, or it loads in stages and they see things I've added to a map before the entirety of the map loads which can tip them off to secrets.

Is there a way to share something mid-session without it popping up for them?

Zacchaeus
April 1st, 2024, 21:38
No. Anything shared whilst players are connected pops up on their screen (so they know that it's being shared). For maps you can preshare them without any issues; even if the players are curious enough to look in the image list then, as long as lighting is on, they'll just see a black image since there are no tokens on it. If images take a long time to pop up on your players screens then that indicates either very large images being shared; or someone has a slow connection. So in this case presharing is definitely what you want to do.

rocketvaultgames
April 1st, 2024, 21:45
That is what I thought. Thank you.

I'll add a suggestion to the list. Maybe a modifier like Control-Click on the Public/Not Shared button could change the shared status without popping it up.

The default behavior is definitely good as is... just looking for the other option on occasion.

Also, it would be good to not show the player any part of a shared image until they have all the assets downloaded and get the full picture at once.

LordEntrails
April 1st, 2024, 23:44
FGC had the ability to share without it popping up, but it caused too much user confusion so it was removed.

Moon Wizard
April 2nd, 2024, 02:22
You can drag to the chat window to share as public without a pop-up.

Regards,
JPG

rocketvaultgames
April 2nd, 2024, 03:20
You can drag to the chat window to share as public without a pop-up.

Regards,
JPG

This is very interesting and another slightly different use-case...

I see each of the following as useful possibilities:

1. Share and force popup - Default behavior. Works fine through a number of methods.
2. Share without popup (Player Known) - Drag link to chat; player sees and can click link.
3. Share without popup (Player Unknown) - Not currently possible... recommend drag link to dice tower.

Trenloe
April 2nd, 2024, 05:19
Dragging to the chat window doesn't indicate who added the link, but this will only work for the GM. Even though a link dragged by a player will appear in chat, nothing will happen if another player clicks on it - unless the original player has also shared the record (via the right-click menu), which pops up the window for everyone currently connected.

rocketvaultgames
April 2nd, 2024, 05:26
Dragging to the chat window doesn't indicate who added the link, but this will only work for the GM. Even though a link dragged by a player will appear in chat, nothing will happen if another player clicks on it - unless the original player has also shared the record (via the right-click menu), which pops up the window for everyone currently connected.

Good to know, but I'm only concerned with the GM at this point. The goal is to share something a short while before I need the players to see it so they:

A. Have no idea it existed before
B. Don't have it popped up when I push it to them
C. Don't have delay / (significantly) staggered load times when I do actually want them to see it
D. See it all in 'one-go' as intended rather than possibly seeing some red question marks before the entire image loads which might tip them off to points of interest.

Moon Wizard
April 2nd, 2024, 05:31
Just share before the session starts, and it will already be loaded as part of the standard session download by the players.

JPG

LordEntrails
April 2nd, 2024, 05:57
When you pre-share, make sure you mark the item/image unidentified and that either you have lighting enabled or apply a mask. That way if they open it the see nothing.

Nylanfs
April 2nd, 2024, 12:37
Label everything as Terrasque lair 1, 2, ..., 38. :)