PDA

View Full Version : Consistent note behavior?

hackRPG
March 20th, 2024, 02:36
Hi, I am struggling with getting a consistent experience across note fields in items and NPCs. I have a requirement to drop linked content into a notes fields on items and NPCs so I can quickly link to that information during a session or allow players to see that linked content. I am usually able to create links and content in Keeper fields, however I cannot create the same in other fields. Is it possible that notes fields can behave consistently?

Example use-cases:

For NPCs, I'd love to be able to drag-drop spells directly into the spells area of the NPC so during an encounter it's one click away - I can't seem to do that even when the NPC is editable. I dislike having to have a seperate doc open for all the spells during an encounter as I find it clunky.

For items, like tomes, I have additional content I would like to provide to players (including an image of the tome they've found). I am able to create all this content in the Keeper note, but not in any note that I can share.

Moon Wizard
March 20th, 2024, 02:42
There are two kinds of text fields in FG: Simple text fields and Formatted text fields. Only the formatted text fields can accept links.

Other than Story records or specifically on Notes tabs for other records, most text fields are simple text fields for performance.

Regards,
JPG

hackRPG
March 20th, 2024, 02:50
What is the possibility of having description text fields like the ones I highlighted on items, and NPCs, be changed to formatted fields?

Moon Wizard
March 20th, 2024, 03:03
You can already add those links to the NPC Notes tab. Just add a simple note to look on the Notes tab.

Other changes are not likely; as it would cause data conflicts with every module already in the store, and the CoC7 ruleset is not under active development as far as I know. I'm not the developer on the ruleset.

Regards,
JPG

hackRPG
March 20th, 2024, 03:22
You can already add those links to the NPC Notes tab. Just add a simple note to look on the Notes tab.

Maybe this is the issue I'm having then, the notes field on a campaign NPC is uneditable, even if you unlock it. Example here, NPC from Masks, No way to add, or edit the notes field.

Also, items don't seem to have a notes tab or ability to update a picture of the item, only the simple fields which become available once it is identified. Again, cool to be able to link spells into the keeper field as shown but at some point you will want to easily share this with players.

Moon Wizard
March 20th, 2024, 04:14
Let me take a look tomorrow at the NPC Notes one. The description/notes field on the Item window should already support links.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
March 20th, 2024, 07:29
I took a quick look this evening; and I was able to unlock and add a link to a NPC Note field.
(See video).

Regards,
JPG

hackRPG
March 21st, 2024, 01:47
I took a quick look this evening; and I was able to unlock and add a link to a NPC Note field.

Are campaign NPCs treated differently to ones you create yourself? I can add a notes field to new NPC I create, but ones that are included in the campaign (Masks) are uneditable. There is a notes tab and an empty window but no way to click into it and add a note.

Moon Wizard
March 21st, 2024, 02:12
I was able to edit the NPCs from both Masks DLC sold in the store:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=CHA23118FG2
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=CHA23153

In fact, the example I showed you is from the older version of Masks module; but I just tried on new version as well.

Can you type /console, click the Compile Logs button, and provide your logs? And/or zip up your campaign folder and provide?

Regards,
JPG

hackRPG
March 21st, 2024, 10:23
Can you type /console, click the Compile Logs button, and provide your logs?

Thanks, here you go https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EP2njsFJI2rhg-zwuhM85CuNQVx-gNrv/view?usp=sharing. I am using the latest 7E version. The NPC I'm trying to add a note to is Zahra Safik (England Chapter 3).
Confirmed that am still unable to edit. 60263

Trenloe
March 21st, 2024, 15:24
I can recreate - I can edit and add to the notes of Wind Sailor 5 from the old Masks DLC as MW shows in the video in post #7, but I can't add to the notes of Zahra Shafik from the new Masks, other fields are editable but not the notes field.

If I make a copy of Zahra I still can't add anything to the notes field.

Looking at the XMl of Zhara (a copy made using drag/drop) I see the text field as follows:

<text type="formattedtext" />

Whereas normally this is as follows for blank formatted text fields:

<text type="formattedtext">
<p />
</text>

If I change the campaign db.xml of the copied Zahra NPC to the second entry above, then I can now edit the notes field.