PDA

View Full Version : Certain links not usable

micael
March 19th, 2024, 21:56
Hi,

after starting a new campaign with new chars and no extensions, the following links result in no window opening (all from cleric class - from Xanathars drag/dropped on char sheet):

- Domain spell (Twilight) open and then canīt open Cleric Twilight domain spells (FEature on Char after choosed Twilight DOmain from Tashas)
- additional Cleric Spells (Option) and then canīt open Spells: Optional Cleric Spells
- Spellcasting and then canīt open Cleric spells

Seems that a lot from Xanathars is link broken (on charsheet after opening one window the next link)...

Thanks

Micael

Zacchaeus
March 19th, 2024, 22:34
Can you walk me through what you have done?

If you drag in the Cleric from Xanathar you will not get the Additional Cleric spells (option) since that's only available if you drag the Cleric in from Tasha. If you want the Tasha options then drag the Cleric in from Tasha and not Xanathar (The options are attached to the class in Tasha and not the archetype - so it won't matter what archetype you select from Xanathar or anywhere else you won't get those options).

I'm not seeing any issues with dragging in from either Xanathar or Tasha. If I select Twilight domain from either book I can open the Domain spells from the abilities tab and open the spell list and select a spell from the list. If I drag in from Tahsa I can access the Domains spells, and optional spells from the abilities tab.

micael
March 19th, 2024, 23:09
Yeah, as a DM I also have no problem with Tashas and opening the windows - Perhaps its because I was a player creating his first char in a campaign of a DM who donīt own Tashas - I own them and he has allowed it (in modules) , but as I said, the last window on your screen with the spells are not opened for me.

Thanks
Micael

Zacchaeus
March 20th, 2024, 01:17
I think maybe you'll need to export the character and post it here so we can take a look. I can't test the situation where I own a book which the DM doesn't. I still think the links should work if you created the character and it's you that is clicking the links. Obviously if someone else is clicking the links and don't own the books then they won't be able to open them.

micael
March 20th, 2024, 11:17
I think maybe you'll need to export the character and post it here so we can take a look. I can't test the situation where I own a book which the DM doesn't. I still think the links should work if you created the character and it's you that is clicking the links. Obviously if someone else is clicking the links and don't own the books then they won't be able to open them.

I donīt think, that an export will help - I have exported it to myself and opened the char in my campaign - there I can open all windows - its especially in the environment, where I as a player create a new char from tashas (cleric twilight domain) with drag and drop and the DM is not owning the books (but has allowed me as player to use them). If I as player then try to open the above mentioned windows, nothing happened - its not the DM - its me as a player who want to open the windows.

So you have to simulate a similar environment to see the problem.

Thanks

Micael

Zacchaeus
March 20th, 2024, 13:27
The export will help since we can then see where the links are pointing to. I still think you should be able to open the links even if all the DM has done is allow you to use your own books, If that isn't happening then there may be an issue with that link; so we need to see where the link is pointing.

micael
March 21st, 2024, 12:56
The export will help since we can then see where the links are pointing to. I still think you should be able to open the links even if all the DM has done is allow you to use your own books, If that isn't happening then there may be an issue with that link; so we need to see where the link is pointing.

ok here is an export of Mira, the char with the link problems I talked above- note that the problems are only there if a GM has not the modules owned for race/class
Thanks
Micael

Zacchaeus
March 21st, 2024, 15:13
Thanks. Looking through the code in that character I can't find anything wrong. When I load it into a campaign then it all works as expected. So with all of the books closed when I click on a link to say the Domain or the archetype I get a message up saying the module you are attempting to load isn't open and asks if I want to open it. So I take it that when you are joined to the campaign and try to click on one of these links you aren't getting that message?

Trenloe
March 21st, 2024, 17:19
When I try this by clicking on the link within the Additional Cleric Spells (Option) character feature I get a message in the chat window:

Attempt to open link(s) for modules not installed.
(DD Tashas Cauldron of Everything - Players)

I don't have this module, so this message is correct.

The three entries mentioned in post #1 have links to "DD Tashas Cauldron of Everything - Players" not Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

Do you see a message in chat?

micael
March 21st, 2024, 19:06
When I try this by clicking on the link within the Additional Cleric Spells (Option) character feature I get a message in the chat window:

I don't have this module, so this message is correct.

The three entries mentioned in post #1 have links to "DD Tashas Cauldron of Everything - Players" not Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

Do you see a message in chat?

No, because in my own campaign I own the module - in my DMs campaign he has allowed me to use the modules - but if I click on the windows (as player) nothing happens - no message and no window opens - yeah, Tasha is right, because twilight cleric is in Tashas.

Thanks

Micael

micael
March 21st, 2024, 19:07
there is no message in my DMs Campaign Chat and no windows is opening -that was really strange.

Zacchaeus
March 21st, 2024, 19:19
A couple of thoughts. When did you create the character? I updated Tasha not too long ago (end of January). This update probably moved things around and it may be the cause of what you are seeing. So creating the character again may well fix things.

Also just to be clear; in the character that you posted there are zero links to Xanathar - which was the main subject of your original post. All of the links in the character are to Tasha's players book.

Trenloe
March 22nd, 2024, 16:06
No, because in my own campaign I own the module - in my DMs campaign he has allowed me to use the modules - but if I click on the windows (as player) nothing happens - no message and no window opens - yeah, Tasha is right, because twilight cleric is in Tashas.
To clarify - you (a player in the campaign) own Tasha's, but the GM doesn't? The GM has allowed you to access the module that you own? Or, does the GM own Tasha's as well?

Trenloe
March 22nd, 2024, 16:26
I've recreated the issue - if the player owns Tasha's but the GM doesn't, then the links won't open and nothing is output to chat - even if the GM has allowed access to the module. However, in the player console, messages will be listed - for example:

[3/22/2024 9:16:17 AM] desktop: Unable to create window with given data source (class_spell_view : class_spell_view.clericoptional@DD Tashas Cauldron of Everything - Players)
[3/22/2024 9:17:13 AM] desktop: Unable to create window with given data source (class_spell_view : class_spell_view.cleric@DD Tashas Cauldron of Everything - Players)

This is probably an issue with the base FG code and accessing modules the GM doesn't own. The devs will need to look into this...

Moon Wizard
April 2nd, 2024, 19:34
Hmm, I tried to recreate this issue; but it was working fine for me. I might need more specific steps to recreate.

* Create brand new campaign on machine running test account (only PHB and LMoP owned)
* Connect from a different machine running on full access account (all 5E modules)
* Load PHB and Tasha's on player machine
* Tried opening spell lists from Library->Modules->PHB/Tasha->Class Spell Lists window
* Tried opening spell lists from Character->Classes->Spell Lists window
* In both cases, the windows loaded without error.

Thanks,
JPG

Trenloe
April 3rd, 2024, 22:16
Hmm, I tried to recreate this issue; but it was working fine for me. I might need more specific steps to recreate.

* Create brand new campaign on machine running test account (only PHB and LMoP owned)
* Connect from a different machine running on full access account (all 5E modules)
* Load PHB and Tasha's on player machine
* Tried opening spell lists from Library->Modules->PHB/Tasha->Class Spell Lists window
* Tried opening spell lists from Character->Classes->Spell Lists window
* In both cases, the windows loaded without error.

Thanks,
JPG
These steps work for me as well.

However, the issue is still present if the test PC "Mira" (XML in post #7) is used - go to Abilities -> Festures -> Additional Cleric Spells (Option) and click on the embedded link "Spells: Optional Cleric Spells".

Interestingly, if I drag the "Spells: Optional Cleric Spells" link from within the "Additional Cleric Spells (Option)" feature window to a hotkey slot and click on it there, it works - and now the link within "Additional Cleric Spells (Option)" works.

Moon Wizard
April 6th, 2024, 01:52
Hmm, finally got a chance to look at this again. I tried the same steps you noted in the last post, and I was unable to get an error. I got the query to load the module, and then it opened.

* Import Mira PC XML from post #7
* Choose Mira PC to activate
* On Mira sheet, go to Abilities -> Festures -> Additional Cleric Spells (Option)
* In the "Additional Cleric Spells (Option)", click on the "Spells: Optional Cleric Spells" link.
* Click OK on the dialog to load Tasha's player module.
* The window loads without error.

I'm not sure what I'm doing differently.

Regards,
JPG

EDIT: I even tried blocking players from loading Tashas from loading on the GM side using the Library->Modules->Activation window button on the module to toggle access. Even in that case, the error message just appears in the chat window. ("Unable to load module. (DD Tashas Cauldron of Everything - Players)")

micael
April 7th, 2024, 00:19
Hmm, finally got a chance to look at this again. I tried the same steps you noted in the last post, and I was unable to get an error. I got the query to load the module, and then it opened.

* Import Mira PC XML from post #7
* Choose Mira PC to activate
* On Mira sheet, go to Abilities -> Festures -> Additional Cleric Spells (Option)
* In the "Additional Cleric Spells (Option)", click on the "Spells: Optional Cleric Spells" link.
* Click OK on the dialog to load Tasha's player module.
* The window loads without error.

I'm not sure what I'm doing differently.

Regards,
JPG

EDIT: I even tried blocking players from loading Tashas from loading on the GM side using the Library->Modules->Activation window button on the module to toggle access. Even in that case, the error message just appears in the chat window. ("Unable to load module. (DD Tashas Cauldron of Everything - Players)")

We tried today again with our DM in our DMs Campaign to delete all extensions and then all we different players in his Campaign create a new character with the drag and drop method, dragging cleric from main class menu (using the tashas version) onto lvl field - then choosing twilight domain- after filling all fields automatically go to abilities tab and under feature open domain spells twilight and the link within this window - nothing opens - we have tried with different players and I asked my DM to sent his log to this forum... perhaps that could help but there is no error message shown anyway.
Thanks
Micael

micael
April 7th, 2024, 13:06
We tried today again with our DM in our DMs Campaign to delete all extensions and then all we different players in his Campaign create a new character with the drag and drop method, dragging cleric from main class menu (using the tashas version) onto lvl field - then choosing twilight domain- after filling all fields automatically go to abilities tab and under feature open domain spells twilight and the link within this window - nothing opens - we have tried with different players and I asked my DM to sent his log to this forum... perhaps that could help but there is no error message shown anyway.
Thanks
Micael

By the way, my DM owns Tashas ... it seems not to be a problem with that... here is his logfile from yesterday...
Thanks
Micael

Zacchaeus
April 7th, 2024, 14:11
By the way, my DM owns Tashas ... it seems not to be a problem with that... here is his logfile from yesterday...
Thanks
Micael

I'm sorry but up until this post the whole thing you were saying is that you owned Tasha but your DM didn't, Now you are saying your DM does own Tasha? Since none of us (well maybe Trenloe found something) can replicate any kind of error - and the character you posted works just fine, and you have changed all of the parameters that you noted in your first post, I think we're going to need very exact and precise steps in order to replicate. You'll also want to replicate in a brand new campaign with no extensions. We're also going to have to know who owns what module and which module you are using to create the character (that is are you using your own module which the DM has given you permission to use or are you using the DMs shared copy - I'm not sure what the effect would be if both parties own the same module and you use your own one instead of the shared one).

micael
April 7th, 2024, 17:11

I understand, that you are a little frustrated - I am, too - because we had not the possibility to check this in the last month deeply (my DM is preparing a new campaign), I had mostly check this myself - and in all circumstances (as you already also found out), there is no problem - so I waited for him to start his campaign.

And yesterday we had again the chance - so please forget, what I had said in the first post - yesterday we were able to dive more deeply inside:

1. The DM owns Tashas and had give it free to us players ( he was last time wrongly of the opinion, that he not owns it). The players and me also owns Tashas
2. We deleted again with our DM in our DMs Campaign all extensions and then all we different players in his Campaign created a new twilight cleric character with the drag and drop method,
3. dragging cleric from main class menu (using the tashas version) onto lvl field - choosing skills then
4. then choosing twilight domain-
5. after FGU has filled all fields automatically we had gone to abilities tab
6. and under feature open domain spells twilight and the link within this window - a click on the link opens nothing- in fact even putting a new link inside had the same result
7. we have tried with different players
8. no error message shown anyway.
9. in my last message I put the logfile here into the forum from yesterday
10. we will try all of this with a totally new campaign somewhere in the future, but my DM of yourse want to use all of his material to date, so what will help him that?
Thanks
Micael

Zacchaeus
April 7th, 2024, 17:38
I think testing in a new campaign will help enormously in tracking this issue, because from what you have said there should be no issue; and as I say the character xml that you posted works fine when I import into one of my test campaigns.

micael
April 7th, 2024, 18:40
I think testing in a new campaign will help enormously in tracking this issue, because from what you have said there should be no issue; and as I say the character xml that you posted works fine when I import into one of my test campaigns.

tested in a totally new campaign today - same issue - only PHB and tashas loaded as DM and Player - here is a screenshot- no error messages no opening of a window.

Thanks

Micael

Zacchaeus
April 7th, 2024, 19:34
Alright I'm finally able to reproduce this locally based on the new information that the DM owns Tasha as well as the player. And it's not confined to the Twilight Cleric domain but to any spell list attached to any class. There has to be something weird in the way that Tasha is put together. This one was originally developed in par5e but has now been transferred to a campaign. Everything works fine if you create the character on a local machine where you own the book. But when you create the character when joined to a game you get the problem.

The error in the console is [4/7/2024 7:21:33 PM] desktop: Unable to create window with given data source (class_spell_view : class_spell_view.wizard@DD Tashas Cauldron of Everything - Players) which I think Trenloe reported above.

So the steps that I took to reproduce was share only the PHB and Tasha players then join my own game. Created a new character and dragged in any spellcasting class with a spell list (a Cleric is a good example, and it doesn't matter if the PHB or Tasha's Cleric is selected) and select any of the domains from Tasha (Order, Peace, or Twilight). Clicking on the Domain Spells in the abilities tab opens the ability but nothing happens if you then click on the spells list link. But the error does get reported in the console. The same problem exists if the character is created using the character wizard - so it isn't just drag and drop.

Moon Wizard
April 8th, 2024, 17:31
Thanks for the additional info to track down, and the help all around. It looks like it only happens if both the GM and the player own Tasha; and works fine if player owns, but GM does not.

JPG

Moon Wizard
April 9th, 2024, 19:15
A fix for this issue was pushed with the update today. Please run a new Check for Updates, and try again.

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
April 9th, 2024, 20:53
Yep, all fixed. Jolly good.