PDA

View Full Version : 4.5.1 - ALL Custom Maps and Encounters Gone

Temeras
March 13th, 2024, 23:33
Updated to 4.5.1.

I loaded up my Curse of Strahd game and opened up the chapter I was going to run from the 'Story' tab.

I had previously uploaded my own maps I wanted to use, modified them, and built/added my own encounters and then placed them in the story/campaign.

ALL of my custom additions within the entire campaign are gone. The images are in my assets still, and so are my custom encounters, but their placement in the story has been completely erased.

I found this thread https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/1207304196/Restore+Campaign+to+an+Earlier+Save and followed it exactly, but it seems correct already.

I've lost hours upon hours of work and I really don't want to nor should I have to completely redo it. Any advice? Let me know if you need more information.

Jiminimonka
March 13th, 2024, 23:40
Updated to 4.5.1.

I loaded up my Curse of Strahd game and opened up the chapter I was going to run from the 'Story' tab.

I had previously uploaded my own maps I wanted to use, modified them, and built/added my own encounters and then placed them in the story/campaign.

ALL of my custom additions within the entire campaign are gone. The images are in my assets still, and so are my custom encounters, but their placement in the story has been completely erased.

I found this thread https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/1207304196/Restore+Campaign+to+an+Earlier+Save and followed it exactly, but it seems correct already.

I've lost hours upon hours of work and I really don't want to nor should I have to completely redo it. Any advice? Let me know if you need more information.

Close FG, backup your db.xml file in the campaign folder (rename it) and then find the latest backup made by FG (a .xml file with a date in the name like db.session.20240313.xml) and then restart FG and see if the issue is fixed.

Hopefully that solves it, but there may be more useful replies as well. Good luck, I know losing all that work can be a PITA.

Temeras
March 14th, 2024, 00:00
I did exactly that and no change.

I tried checking out the Death House section where I had multiple edits, both by adding images/maps/encounters as well as adding my own text boxes = all gone.

I did try to load up a default image and I got a long list of logs with the final entry being an error "Graphic: Unable to load file (modules/CoS/Map - Death House.jpg). I never touched the default campaign maps.

After looking at everything it APPEARS that my campaign has been reverted to factory form. I can assure it worked perfectly before 4.5.1. I changed a session from 28 Feb (the last time we had played when everything was working correctly) to db.xml and deleted the currect db.xml = no change.

LordEntrails
March 14th, 2024, 00:12
Are you running ANY extensions? Does it work with all extensions disabled? Can you Compile Logs and attach here?

Were your maps additions to the default module maps? If you modified the module maps, note that many of the modules have been having their file types updated and so modified versions of the old maps will not show. But there is a way to recover the modifications. Let us know if this might be the case.

Temeras
March 14th, 2024, 00:37
I am running one extension. It's CoreRPG - Large Fonts (because the FGU font is soooo tiny). I loaded it WITH the extension added and again WITHOUT. I also tried loaded different saves (for me 28 Feb and also 12 Mar) both with and without the extension. No change.

Picture of logs uploaded.

Regarding the maps, I have never touched the default maps. I add my own (from assets) to the story, add my own encounters, and add my own text boxes. Anything custom I have ever added INTO the story is gone. It's acting like the campaign was reset.

Zacchaeus
March 14th, 2024, 01:08
See here for instructions on how to recover your campaign from an earlier save https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/1207304196/Restore+Campaign+to+an+Earlier+Save

This is basically the same as what was said in post #2 above. However you may have to go back one or two sessions before you get a non corrupted save. Make sure that you have file extensions turned on in Windows so that you can see the .xml file extension on the files. If you don't see that (they are hidden by default) and change the name to db.xml then you'll end up with a file name of db.xml.xml which FG won't recognize. Also make sure that you aren't using any kind of synced cloud back up of you campaign data since that is known to have caused issues in the past.

LordEntrails
March 14th, 2024, 03:16
It sounds like you've done the stuff Mr Z suggests to try the different backups?

Can you post a screen shot of the campaign folder with file sizes and dates shown? This will help us look at all the campaign backup files and see if there is one where their is a noticeable change in file size.

A couple other things, are the image files inside the campaign images folder? When you look inside the campaigns db.xml, there is a section under an <image> section, does it look well formed? Does it reference the image files in the images folder? I'm not expert, but if you post the db.xml I can take a look at it if you want.

Trenloe
March 14th, 2024, 03:53
Updated to 4.5.1.

Regarding the story entries - were you adding the encounters to an existing Story entry from the Curse of Strahd FG module? If so, these will be tracked in a different place to the campaign database db.xml file. This will be in the campaign moduledb\DD Curse of Strahd.xml file. If you've recently reverted changes on the Curse of Strahd module, then this file will have been reset and any changes you made will have unfortunately been lost as backups aren't made of files in the moduledb directory. As you mentioned your custom encounters are still present (as these are new records and so stored in the campaign db.xml file), I'm fearing you may have added your links to story entries from the Curse of Strahd module?

Laerun
March 14th, 2024, 05:27
I did exactly that and no change.

I tried checking out the Death House section where I had multiple edits, both by adding images/maps/encounters as well as adding my own text boxes = all gone.

I did try to load up a default image and I got a long list of logs with the final entry being an error "Graphic: Unable to load file (modules/CoS/Map - Death House.jpg). I never touched the default campaign maps.

After looking at everything it APPEARS that my campaign has been reverted to factory form. I can assure it worked perfectly before 4.5.1. I changed a session from 28 Feb (the last time we had played when everything was working correctly) to db.xml and deleted the currect db.xml = no change.

Did you ever revert the module to bring back the original campaign images from the official adventure? Awhile back, CoS had it's images all updated into the webp format. I know that you are using and making your own maps, but if you tried to address the previous issues with any of the art images that came up as missing or as blanks, reverting would reset everything, regardless of the latest recent update.

Zacchaeus
March 14th, 2024, 09:35
Did you ever revert the module to bring back the original campaign images from the official adventure? Awhile back, CoS had it's images all updated into the webp format. I know that you are using and making your own maps, but if you tried to address the previous issues with any of the art images that came up as missing or as blanks, reverting would reset everything, regardless of the latest recent update.

Cos has not been updated to use Wepb. There were some issues relating to older legacy modules that have been created in Classic (mainly occluders weren't exporting correctly) so I stopped the process at TYP. Cos was released before that so whilst it's on my list it hasn't come to the surface yet. The Cos module hasn't required an update in quite some time - so the module hasn't changed in the time period being talked about by the OP.

I think Trenloe (as ever) is hitting the nail squarer on the head as to what has happened here.

Temeras
March 15th, 2024, 00:56
First, thanks to everyone who is trying to help.

LordEntrails, attached is a snap shot of the campaign folder. It's a copy I saved to my desktop. I've tried renaming older saves per the link provided but no change. The images I used ARE in the images folder as they should be.

Trenloe, I have been adding additions to the story. I've been doing that for many many years and I've never had a problem. 60173 To better explain I drop images into my campaign folder via the Assets menu and then through the actual folder. Then I would make an asset image a record and drop in under, for example, "Battlemap: Death House" in the story folder and then add my own links encounters.

In your last sentence you say, "I'm fearing you may have added your links to story entries from the Curse of Strahd module?" I'm not sure what you mean. I think this new "Story Mode" in the update is the culprit. In the future, how should I edit the story? 60174 In this picture the left is the new 'story mode' and the right is the classic view that I would edit.

Laerun, I never reverted the module. Everything has been working great until 4.5.1.

Zacchaus, I had started working on my CoS campaign back with FG classis and everything has worked fine in Unity.

Temeras
March 15th, 2024, 00:57
Disregard, double post

Temeras
March 15th, 2024, 00:58
Attachments are killing me

LordEntrails
March 15th, 2024, 01:39
I haven't updated to 4.5.x yet. Everything looks like it's in place, but I think someone is going to have to open up your campaign and dig into the xml and the content files and figure it out. I would offer, but our gaming group uses some extensions that have not yet been updated to work with 4.5. We are probably another week out. Can you open a ticket with support and send them the files and see if they can figure it out?

Zacchaeus
March 15th, 2024, 01:58
The new story mode merely combines story entries and what was previously reference manual pages. Your screenshots are what was reference pages and are now known as advanced story pages. So did you edit the stories or reference pages? In any case if you haven’t reverted the module your edits should still be in your campaign. If you open the story list and click on the dropdown at the top you should see the original stories by chapter as well as the reference by chapter. So it may be that what you are looking at are the reference pages which you didn’t edit rather than at the stories which you did (or vice versa). As Trenloe mentions above if you look inside your campaign folder you should find a folder called moduledb and inside that should be an xml file with the CoS module name. That file should contain your changes.

When I say changes I mean edits to any module story entries including any links that you added. If there is no file with the CoS module inside the moduledb folder then indeed the module has been reverted.

When making edits it is usually safer to first copy the page you want to edit and then edit the copy. In this way the copied page becomes part of your campaign and is therefore independent of the module and possible changes to the module and also to inadvertent or deliberate reverting changes to the module.

Temeras
March 15th, 2024, 02:18
I have the moduledb xml CoS. It's most recent time stamp is today (I'm assuming it's auto updating everytime I open or make changes.) It seems like there's no way to find an older time stamp of the moduledb.

I've uploaded the logs, or at least I think I have.....

After a lot of digging I have an idea of what has happened. All of my images (things I've added with links) ARE in the images tab, however, the story has reverted back to stock.

I'm able to add everything back into the story, it's just extremely inconvenient. My custom encounters are still there. However, all of my custom story additions, quotes, treasures, etc are gone because it reverted.

To everyone that tried to help I really do appreciate it.

Temeras
March 15th, 2024, 02:22
Update:

Maybe someone smarter can help me. In the attached image are 2 entries. The left is my 'custom' entry that IS still in the image I've created with the old links from the story.

The right side is what's now showing up in the story.

Something has happened to cause the old links to be different than what's now in the new story.

Trenloe
March 15th, 2024, 03:36
I have the moduledb xml CoS.
Please post this file in this thread.

Trenloe
March 15th, 2024, 04:04
60174 In this picture the left is the new 'story mode' and the right is the classic view that I would edit.
The right image in this screenshot is a single page from what used to be referred to as the "Reference Manual". Originally you couldn't edit these at all, it's only recently that you could edit these.

Unfortunately, I think we're getting confused with recent naming terminology. There are now three different formats for freeform text within a module:

Traditional story entries - now called "Story (simple)" records. These don't support embedding of pictures, frames, two column format etc.. This is the "story" entry that has been around for years.
New story entries that can include embedded pictures, frames, two columns, etc.. These are new and referred to as "Story (advanced)" entries, are identical to reference manual pages. In fact, Story (advanced) entries are created for each Book (reference manual) page.
Reference manual pages - these have been around for a while, but only recently could you edit a reference manual from within a module, if that module was set to allow editing. Reference manuals are now called "Books".

#1 and #2 are accessed from within the "Story" sidebar list. For example, here are two story entries from Curse of Strahd. "18.03.00 Areas of the House" is the traditional Story (simple) entry and "Areas of the House" is the new Story (advanced) record, taken directly from the Curse of Strahd Book (reference manual). You can tell the difference in the Story list by the icon to the right of each row.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/47b4halbwg47ivdqo66fz/Story-examples-CoS-areas-of-the-house.jpg?rlkey=no69vuu7vjqsroo1m0amz0gy4&dl=0

#3 is accessed through a "book" via the books sidebar. The screenshot below shows the Book for Curse of Strahd, with the Areas of the House entry - this is the same entry as the "Areas of the House" Story (advanced) shown above.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/2pqbqqrcl49f7lh52lnvq/Book-example-CoS-Areas-of-the-House.jpg?rlkey=k6u8z4xs8tobxidv16up8bgs9&dl=0

I'm only guessing, but I think you would have been editing the traditional "Story (simple)" entries, as these are the only entries that you would have been able to edit until recently. I am hoping this is just a case of the new options causing confusion and your edits are still available - which they should be if you haven't reverted the Curse of Strahd module, which you've confirmed you haven't.

If you can provided the moduledb\curse of strahd.xml file from you campaign directoy we can check to see what data is available and point you in the right direction.

Zacchaeus
March 15th, 2024, 10:37
Update:

Maybe someone smarter can help me. In the attached image are 2 entries. The left is my 'custom' entry that IS still in the image I've created with the old links from the story.

The right side is what's now showing up in the story.

Something has happened to cause the old links to be different than what's now in the new story.

I'm getting mixed messages from this post. With Trenloe's explanation above in mind; you say the image on the left is what is still linked to your Death House map. If that is the case then you haven't lost anything - your amendments are still there and directly accessible via the map pin. (this is the default behaviour for any older module; map pins link to story entries rather than reference pages and nothing in the update will have changed that). You say that the image on the right is what's now showing up in the story. This is what is now an advanced story and whilst it is true that this is what's showing up in story the original story entry (now simple story) is still there as well. Both the old story and the reference pages show up in that list. To find your amended story click on the story button on the right hand menu and then use the dropdown at the top to select Cos 18. Appendix B: Death House and you'll see the list of simple story entries for that specific chapter. You can also select the All category from the drop down and type Death House into the search bar and you'll get the list of all story entries (both advanced and simple) which references the Death House in the title. There you'll find 4 entries; two simple and two advanced story entries. If you mouse over the icon on the right side the tooltip will indicate which is which. Selecting the simple story will open your amended page (the one on the left in your screenshot) and clicking on the advanced one will open the reference page (the one on the right in your screenshot).

Can you confirm this is what you are seeing? And still post the moduledb file just so we can see if there is an issue that we're missing.

Temeras
March 15th, 2024, 23:14
Trenloe's explanation nailed it (I think). Your pictures were a big help.

I found my old edits by searching for the name 'Areas of the House.' They are under Story (simple). However, I can't find how to access the Story (simple). Advanced is just the default module. I've been able to edit that no problem since the update.60186

Best way to explain this in the picture from left to right:
1) Book - D&D Curse of Strahd - the default module that I can edit
2) 18.03.00 = This is what I'm missing and is what was removed from the module. HOW DO I GET THIS BACK? I now know this is Story (simple). I want to get back to Story (simple) but all I can find is the Book and Story (advanced).
2.5) I was able to edit the (advanced) and that seems to be tied to the Book (#1)
3) I was able to find #2 by typing in "Areas of the House" and doing what Trenloe said.

Moduledb uploaded

Zacchaeus
March 15th, 2024, 23:43
So I took your module db file and added it to my test campaign and opened the Cos module. I can clearly see your amendments to the story entries at 18.03.00 Areas of the house and subsequent story entries. So the story entries have not been removed. As I noted in the post above yours; the story entries you edited are linked to the maps in the module and you can get to them also by opening the story list from the right hand menu button and then selecting the correct chapter from the drop down list at the top. Are you not seeing this?

Temeras
March 20th, 2024, 02:58
To close this thread:

First, thanks again to everyone who helped out. I truly do appreciate it.

I was able to find my edits under Story (Simple) - the 'Tt' icon.

Zacchaeus
March 20th, 2024, 09:24
Jolly Good.