PDA

View Full Version : Player inventory window not always fully updating when an item is put in a container

Steeleyes
March 12th, 2024, 01:41
Apologies for posting this minor one so close to a release (I suspect it's not related to the release but wanted to post before I forget the details, also IMHO the player inventory window does need a little love).

The player inventory doesn't always fully update when an item is moved into a container (aka location). No extensions loaded. Running 5E as DM with a test character open.
When a new item is dropped on to the player inventory it goes to its alphabetical place in the list of top level items (as expected).
If I then change it's location to place it into a pouch (by typing in the location field and clicking on some another item's location field to show that I'm finished), the new item indents correctly but doesn't move into the new position until...
a) I click on certain other things in the window like another item's name, quantity, weight etc (going from a location field to another location field doesn't fully update).
b) I press <enter> (which I don't want to do because that adds a new blank item every time I move something and then I have to do 3 clicks to remove the blank)
c) Slightly oddly, downclick on the 'x' in the top right of any window appears to fix it too (e.g the 'items' or player window or combat tracker).

I captured a picture but I'm bumping into upload issues again (missing security token) so I'll try dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/7gfr3ww5zom28f5r19o28/inventory_buglet.png?rlkey=8p7r3zzuliloyfyg6bz35kg u6&dl=0
It doesn't need to be a container within another container for the issue to show up (even though this overly complex example is).

Laerun
March 12th, 2024, 02:53
Apologies for posting this minor one so close to a release (I suspect it's not related to the release but wanted to post before I forget the details, also IMHO the player inventory window does need a little love).

The player inventory doesn't always fully update when an item is moved into a container (aka location). No extensions loaded. Running 5E as DM with a test character open.
When a new item is dropped on to the player inventory it goes to its alphabetical place in the list of top level items (as expected).
If I then change it's location to place it into a pouch (by typing in the location field and clicking on some another item's location field to show that I'm finished), the new item indents correctly but doesn't move into the new position until...
a) I click on certain other things in the window like another item's name, quantity, weight etc (going from a location field to another location field doesn't fully update).
b) I press <enter> (which I don't want to do because that adds a new blank item every time I move something and then I have to do 3 clicks to remove the blank)
c) Slightly oddly, downclick on the 'x' in the top right of any window appears to fix it too (e.g the 'items' or player window or combat tracker).

I captured a picture but I'm bumping into upload issues again (missing security token) so I'll try dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/7gfr3ww5zom28f5r19o28/inventory_buglet.png?rlkey=8p7r3zzuliloyfyg6bz35kg u6&dl=0
It doesn't need to be a container within another container for the issue to show up (even though this overly complex example is).

This has been a thing for a long time. The player or GM instance is often delayed or not instantaneous.

Bonkon
March 12th, 2024, 03:16
Good Day Steeleyes :)
Have you tried pressing the Tab key instead of Enter? If I remember correctly that works to indent and place the item. :)

Steeleyes
March 12th, 2024, 03:21
The player or GM instance is often delayed or not instantaneous.
Agreed especially when there is player <-> GM communication involved. In this particular case there was only me logged in as GM (and the inventory info is local to the GM). Also it wasn't just a delay after which it updated, it didn't update at all (unless I did the other things listed).

Steeleyes
March 12th, 2024, 03:29
Good Day Steeleyes :)
Have you tried pressing the Tab key instead of Enter? If I remember correctly that works to indent and place the item. :)

Thanks yes that does the full update and avoids the blank entry, it's much better than Enter, I'll use that more going forwards. Tab moves the cursor focus to the item's weight box which is one of things I listed as a workaround.