PDA

View Full Version : Gauging interest in 4E one-shot

Xorn
March 10th, 2008, 21:15
I have a 4E Fan Playtest Adventure compiled from the reports at DDXP set up in my FG2, and I've run it twice now. I'm just posting to see how many folks here would be interested in participating in a one-shot to try out the 4E rules.

Game will require connecting to Ventrilo (all OOC chatter is over voice), and will most likely be a 4-6 hour game. I'll worry about when it will happen if there's enough interest in playing. Please reply below if interested.

UPDATE:
First session will be Monday, 17-March-08, starting at 8:00 PM Central (GMT-6). We will plan on playing about 4 hours, and possibly run again if we don't finish (it takes 4-6 hours, typically). The server will be up before that time for people to connect, claim a character, and set up hotkeys, etc.

Current Players (first 5-6 are in first session):
joshuha
Malovech
kalmarjan
devinnight
Griogre

If you can make this playtime, signup--you must be willing to get on Ventrilo, as there will be a LOT of rules questions and the text is too slow for that. (I handle all combat over voice, then at the end of the turn, that player /emotes their OWN flavor text, while I adjucate the next person in line. Makes for speedy combat, and still a fun to read chatlog!) joshuha has already made an excellent post that includes the information on the 6 characters available--Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Warlock, Wizard. Characters will be claimed on a first-come, first-claim basis, unless two people agree to switch. :) There is not a boring class--I swear to you!

UPDATE 3/12: We're up to 5 now, and I have a local that will fill the 6th slot if it's not filled by game time. The playtesting is not closed though, still room for one more in this first run. Here is a link to a forum post I made elsewhere that's about a good a crash course on 4E as you'll find:

4E Crash Course (https://www.eugee.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=542#542)

devinnight
March 10th, 2008, 23:30
If it was at a time I could play, I would like to see the new rules in action.
-D

scytale2
March 10th, 2008, 23:43
Interested - GMT to finish pre-8pm EST

joshuha
March 11th, 2008, 01:28
Same here. Depends on the time.

Xorn
March 11th, 2008, 01:44
Cool. I think getting 5-6 players won't be a problem at this point, so please edit your posts to include best playtimes for you. If we can find a common time, I'll make it happen. Weekends are best for me, but I have a running FG2 game Saturdays from 10a-4p central time (GMT-6). It's possible I can fill it with some players from my game, and I'll consider a weeknight if it's best for everyone.

Note that if I have more than 5-6 people ready to try it, it's not like June is around the corner, I'll run this more than once if interest holds. NPCs are actually really fun to play as a 4E DM, I'm finding.

kalmarjan
March 11th, 2008, 03:13
I can pretty much play from 9 PM EST (GMT-5) on any night, provided I am not called into work. ;)

Sandeman

Griogre
March 11th, 2008, 07:01
I think it would be fun to play. With warning I can pretty much play afternoons or nights PDT Wed, Thur, Sat or Mon.

Malovech
March 11th, 2008, 12:33
I would love to try this out, a 8pm EST later time during the week would be best. Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday are my preferred days.

mr_h
March 11th, 2008, 14:09
I might be interested. Typically good in evenings (except Tuesdays), 8pm or so EST. I could do a Saturday game probably as well.

joshuha
March 11th, 2008, 14:19
Same here, on weekdays 8 PM EST or later is good for me. Weekends I am a bit more flexible but would prefer a week night.

Xorn
March 11th, 2008, 17:05
Okay, definitely have enough now. Gauging by the times I'm seeing I'd say Monday or Tuesday night at 8:00 PM CST (9:00 PM EST) would be good. I get off work at 7:00, but I only work 1.5 miles from home. I think what I'd like to try is kicking off 7:15 PM Monday night let people read their character sheets and stuff, and go as far as we can.

Who can make this time slot? (Monday 3/17 @ 8:00 PM CST GMT-6)

joshuha
March 11th, 2008, 17:38
Sign me up. If the start time is 9 PM EST I would be good for about 4 hours.

Malovech
March 11th, 2008, 19:21
I can do that.

kalmarjan
March 11th, 2008, 19:23
Barring being called into work, I can swing it as well. Count me in.

Sandeman

Xorn
March 11th, 2008, 19:42
Awesome news. I'm going to update the first post to include those that are signed up, and I'll update it with details. I'll send PMs out with the host server info, as well as Ventrilo details tonight or in the morning (it's Tuesday). In order to let folks log in, take ownership of their character, and read over their character sheets, set up hotkeys, etc, I'll leave the server running a few days this week.

You will also be able to look through all the 4E Quick Play rules that are available. This is going to be really fun. :)

devinnight
March 11th, 2008, 20:14
Consider me in as well.
Thanks Xorn.
-D

scytale2
March 11th, 2008, 22:06
Nope, too late, sorry

Griogre
March 11th, 2008, 22:14
Count me in too. I'm looking forward to it.

joshuha
March 11th, 2008, 22:17
Although I am not the GM do realize that most have whats been released is to showcase the changes. So while skills have consolidated a bit and we know there is a new social encounter resolution system coming we don't know the rules for those yet.

So expect a lot of the adventure I imagine to focus on the new crunchy bits. The RP will be dependant on the players as usual but there isn't much released now for non-combat resolution.

For example, we know rituals is the new non-combat spell system that will allow for a lot of the fun spells that are good for RP but we don't have those yet.

Xorn
March 12th, 2008, 01:27
Nope, too late, sorry

I'll run this more than once, I'll see about setting up a morning session on a weekend that you can get in on later!

And as usual Joshuha has very clearly stated what to expect. Mostly I want to throw crunchy bits at you all, so you can see and feel the mechanics in action. Regardless of what anyone posts on the D&D forums (or elsewhere) the ability (and desire) of players to role-play has very little to do with the edition you're playing. :)

Griogre
March 12th, 2008, 05:38
Heck, for this game I'm just want a feel for the flow of the rules. I've read the characters and the quick start rules and tried to think about what it means. Xorn is kindly allowing us to roll some dice and move some mice and demo some rules in a game format. Much nicer than reading a rule book. :D

Xorn
March 12th, 2008, 13:40
Heck, for this game I'm just want a feel for the flow of the rules. I've read the characters and the quick start rules and tried to think about what it means. Xorn is kindly allowing us to roll some dice and move some mice and demo some rules in a game format. Much nicer than reading a rule book. :D

It's not all benevolent--I get to kick your asses, too. :) Another 4E wonder--playing NPCs is really fun, because they are unique. When you fight kobolds, they have kobold-only traits that makes them unique. Someone complained somewhere I was reading that 4E was going to be like HeroQuest with rules for role-playing adjucation. Well I F'ing LOVED HeroQuest (mainly because my Dad would play it with me), so bring it on. (FYI, 4E is way, way, way more complex than HeroQuest. Heh.)

mr_h
March 12th, 2008, 14:57
Starting at 9pm EST would be a bit too late for me on a work night. If you have something on a weekend, or an earlier start time, count me in (except Tuesdays, can't do Tuesdays).

Hamish
March 12th, 2008, 20:09
I'd be interested to try out the new 4th Ed rules, but I'm at GMT+1, so I don't think we can find a suitable time with you as the GM. Anyone else interested in GMing this for European players?

Xorn
March 12th, 2008, 22:53
Well that's two EU players now, and I'm an earlybird. After I've run this first game, I'd be happy to run a game on Saturday or Sunday, early. It's gonna be rough staying up till midnight as it stands, but I know the joys of killing players will make it easy! Err... I mean the joys of experiencing dynamic, new gameplay!

longarms
March 13th, 2008, 00:14
"It's gonna be rough staying up till midnight as it stands, but I know the joys of killing players will make it easy! "

I take it that you mean the joy of killing characters, not players!!!

;)

Oberoten
March 13th, 2008, 00:29
No, he uses these SPECIAL headsets ... K-IP instead of V-IP for communications. Every time your char gets damage the K-IP headset gives you a jolt.

Xorn
March 16th, 2008, 01:43
Sending out private messages with the address for the Ventrilo Server, and the alias for the server. I plan to fire the server up Monday morning, and leave it up all day. Feel free to connect to the server (you'll have to download my ruleset) and you can lay claim to your character at this time if you'd like. Please claim _one_ character. :) I've got a 6th person that will be filling in if we don't get one more to fill the group out.

Send me a PM if you have any questions!

Xorn
March 17th, 2008, 16:24
The server is up and running! I'm going to leave it up all day while I'm at work, so if you can, connect before then so the ruleset can download. Also, that's a good time to set up some hotkeys and stuff--as soon as I get home I'll get on Vent and get the game moving. I've cleared the owner on all the characters, so please only claim one today. :)

I highly recommend opening all the MINI tabs from the character sheet, and docking them all together. You'll find you almost need nothing else on your sheet if you do that.

Xorn
March 17th, 2008, 16:30

An example of how to set up your minisheet.

scytale2
March 17th, 2008, 17:06
Any news on the Euro game? I'm sure a few of us are chomping at the bit...

Xorn
March 17th, 2008, 18:01
Any news on the Euro game? I'm sure a few of us are chomping at the bit...

I've got you and Hamish on my list for Euro players. My weekly game (which is 4E preview adventures at the moment) starts at 10 AM Central. It's noon as I write this, so figure out what that is your time from the post time for you.

There's often a spot in that game for extra players, so if you want to try to get into that one, it's fine with me! I'm considering running a Sunday morning game--but I've already done the "two games over the weekend" drill on my fiance, and I'm probably pushing my luck to try and get away with it again. Unless I ran a 6 AM to Noon game--that I could get away with. Dunno how many people will get up that early, though. :)

Seriul
March 17th, 2008, 18:37
There should be a 5 hour difference between your current time and GMT, Xorn, thanks to the new Daylight Savings time stuff.

Xorn
March 17th, 2008, 21:12
There should be a 5 hour difference between your current time and GMT, Xorn, thanks to the new Daylight Savings time stuff.

Cool. You're the 6th today, by the way. I'm going to be getting out of work RIGHT before the game, so I'll have to drive like a crazy man. It might be 8:05 before I'm on, but I'll be there.

Seriul
March 17th, 2008, 21:40
Already DLed the stuff and saw the ranger go first off the board. I don't care who chose him, I'm going to call them Legolas forever!

joshuha
March 17th, 2008, 22:22
Already DLed the stuff and saw the ranger go first off the board. I don't care who chose him, I'm going to call them Legolas forever!

I did for something different. Normally I tend to play the magic using types and thought a change would be in order. :p

Seriul
March 17th, 2008, 22:30
Speaking from a purely combat point of view, I found the ranger to be somewhere between the warlock or wizard from a combat point of view. The warlock and ranger are both mobile fighters, and the ranger and wizard hit from extreme ranges. They're probably my favorite 3 to play as well because killing stuff is fun!

I also saw the cleric has been chosen second. Love them good for the buffs.

kalmarjan
March 18th, 2008, 07:40
I participated in this playtest, and I have to commend Xorn for a great experience. Seriously, if you get a chance, get into the action. You may not be dissapointed.

Sandeman

Xorn
March 18th, 2008, 14:42
Thanks for the praise kalmarjan! I had a great time running it, even if I didn't get to kill a single player! Err... character... yeah... I meant... character!

You guys really tore that adventure up, and the dragon fight was really a blast. Honestly I thought after the first acid blast that was going to be it, but damned if Griogre didn't just patch everyone up while the damage kept pouring on. But when you said, "Can Kathra run up the ledge, dive off, and hit the dragon as she falls?" I almost said, "Yes, and she auto-hits, because that's F***ing awesome."

Great game all, posting the chatlog now (though I only have two screenshots, and those are of the dragon!) so I can put a playtest report on EnWorld.Org (while I'm at work)! I was having so much fun, and the game was moving so fast, I actually forgot to take screenshots. I was supposed to be snapping one every round!

It's a shame too, because I was going to make a nice Gallery post, with a link to them on my web-space, too. I think it would have been a nice showcase of FG2!

Well here's the chat log, with a single screenshot at the end. :(

Read the 03-17-2008 log. (https://www.eugee.net/4e_preview)

devinnight
March 18th, 2008, 16:36
Thanks to everyone and Xorn for a really fun little venture into 4rth edition.
It was fun and I will be damned if I was gonna let that dragon just fly out to his little island everytime he took some damage. I think the players and the characters worked well together and I attribute that to our success.
Kathra was down to one HP in the end.

Thanks for letting me try the cliff dive dragon bash, had you said no and denied me I would have hung my head in sadness.

Thanks again.
-D

Malovech
March 18th, 2008, 19:56
Great game, it ran very smoothly - unfortunately my internet connection didn't. Sorry guys for being the lame, I'm sure you could have used a few more Scorched Bursts to deal with that dragon.

Griogre
March 18th, 2008, 20:34
It certainly was a fun time and I enjoyed it. Thanks to Xorn for running it. That was a great scene with the Paladin and Fighter swimming/diving out to get to the Dragon.

Seriul
March 19th, 2008, 02:01
Playing 4e with you guys was a lot of fun for me. It was great seeing the high rolls and general destruction of that campaign, along with getting a lot of luck as I was being attacked. I also like seeing that many GMs getting together for a half hearted RP attempt.

If you'd like to see a completely different first battle I'd urge you to read the oldest campaign and you'll see our battle strategies were sound but bad rolls made things much more difficult for the party.

devinnight
March 19th, 2008, 06:01
Also I really appreciate you guys being patient while Josh got me squared away on the ruleset. I have a pretty solid connection, and have never had problems like that.
So thanks, I'm so glad I didn't just drop off.
-D

Xorn
March 19th, 2008, 13:50
I'm pretty sure it's because I was sharing a bunch of stuff with them in-game at the same time. :) Now that I know about the cache files I'll make them available on my FTP space ahead of time for future ruleset needs.

Lee S.
March 25th, 2008, 07:57
If you're planning to run this again, I know I would like to join in the fun and get a sneak preview of the future.

For me, Mondays Thursdays, & Saturdays are out. Tues, Wed, Friday and Sunday, I'm free just about all day and night.

I'm out of town this weekend (28th-30th)

Xorn
March 25th, 2008, 14:50
My next run is going to be either Sunday, or next week sometime. I'll be running 4E fan playtest/demos until 4E comes out, probably. I'm going to kill off my 3.5 campaign sometime between now and the--ermmm...

Did I say that out loud? I mean--the 3.5 campaign will come to an exciting (and possibly overwhelming) climax.