PDA

View Full Version : please help!

Skie
February 12th, 2024, 19:17
according to this https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/2045181969/All+About+Campaigns+-+Your+Questions+Answered#How-Do-I-Make-A-Backup-Of-My-Campaign?
when backing up my campaign i only need to back up C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fanta sy Grounds\campaigns

so i did that and when i restore my campaign folder there is nothing, fgu sees the campaign and i can load it fine, but there is no PC's none of my monsters or story entries or items are there... its just a "blank" campaign, did i just loose 5 years worth of homebrew stuff ?

Mike Serfass
February 12th, 2024, 19:27
When you click on the file folder button, does it take you to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fanta sy Grounds\campaigns?
Did you reinstall FGU?
Are you sure your campaign folder was always C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fanta sy Grounds\campaigns?
It may have been changed if you did a reinstall.

Zacchaeus
February 12th, 2024, 19:30
I suspect that you have a problem in the campaign and the backup is the same as the campaign files. Have a look at this article which should help you restore your campaign to an earlier save https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/1207304196/Restore+Campaign+to+an+Earlier+Save

Skie
February 12th, 2024, 20:07
When you click on the file folder button, does it take you to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fanta sy Grounds\campaigns?
yes, it does.

Did you reinstall FGU?
yes i did.

Are you sure your campaign folder was always C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fanta sy Grounds\campaigns?
yes has always been the default location :)

It may have been changed if you did a reinstall.
it did not change.

Skie
February 12th, 2024, 20:08
I suspect that you have a problem in the campaign and the backup is the same as the campaign files. Have a look at this article which should help you restore your campaign to an earlier save https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/1207304196/Restore+Campaign+to+an+Earlier+Save

ill give it a try, and report back :)

Skie
February 12th, 2024, 20:40
I'm getting the following error after renaming one of the saved sessions to db.xml, it also changes the file size of that file to 7kb when closing down FGU

LordEntrails
February 12th, 2024, 21:00
That session.db is corrupt. Try a different one.
By chance, is your FG Data directly sync'd or shared by something like a network folder or a cloud backed up location (One Drive, Google Drive, etc)?

Skie
February 12th, 2024, 22:48
That session.db is corrupt. Try a different one.
By chance, is your FG Data directly sync'd or shared by something like a network folder or a cloud backed up location (One Drive, Google Drive, etc)?

Nope not directly synced, installed in the default locations suggested by the installer, and its not connected to a cloud solution either, guess ill just try another DB.session file :D hopefully they are not all corrupt

damned
February 13th, 2024, 02:53
Post a screenshot of your backup files

Skie
February 13th, 2024, 10:08

if i open up those db.session xml files in notepad++ they all just repeat NULL a bunch of times in the first line ... i recon thats pretty much a death sentence for my campaign.

damned
February 13th, 2024, 10:26
Please zip up 3 or 4 of the most recent db*.xml files and post here
What tool are you using to back them up?
Actually please zip them all up.

Skie
February 13th, 2024, 10:46
i just copied my campaign folder, so I'm not using any specific tools to back the campaign up :)

damned
February 13th, 2024, 10:58
i am unable to open the zip - it tells me its invalid.
Can you try zip it up again or can you share it via OneDrive or similar?

Skie
February 13th, 2024, 11:11
file was actually a .rar file, i had renamed to .zip as .rar is not a supported format on forums... but this one is compressed with winzip :)

damned
February 13th, 2024, 11:41
Please do the same with the db backup files

Skie
February 13th, 2024, 11:47
done.

damned
February 13th, 2024, 12:07
I dont know what has occurred here.
Can you provide more info?

Do you still have the original drive?
Was there a problem on the computer that caused you to reinstall or replace or whatever you did?

Do any other campaigns exist on the source?
Do they have the same issue?

Skie
February 13th, 2024, 12:30
PC went belly up doing a bios upgrade and win11's "brillant" fTPM locked my C: drive from access, made my pin invalid and left me with no way to access my data, tried all the normal ways of recovering a windows install, only thing that would let me in was a complete format and reinstall of windows, had my C: drive not been an nvme drive my data would most likely be intact, but due to how TRIM works on SSD's / nvme drives it most likely corrupted many of my files, first thing i did after having access was using a paid recovery service, that gave me the files i uploaded here... so i will just have to accept the loss and carry on i guess.

damned
February 13th, 2024, 12:34
Did any of the other files (non FG) that were restored by the paid recovery service work?
It does look like the data is lost.

Going forward do consider backing your data up to another device or location (cloud/nas/network) to avoid this.
I periodically copy my data up to my OneDrive account.

Nylanfs
February 13th, 2024, 13:06
Remember the 3-2-1 rule! :)

Also there's a handy forum link in my sig for a batch file that auto-backups to a separate directory when you exit FG.