PDA

View Full Version : Necessary Rulebooks

father0fnine
February 9th, 2024, 23:45
Hi what does a group lose not having the DMG or MM FG modules when running pre-preprinted adventures (say, Curse of Strahd)? I can see where they would be almost necessary for setting up a homebrew campaign, but I am wondering what hardships CoS would have for the party if the DM didn't have those books online.

LordEntrails
February 10th, 2024, 00:33
Nothing. FG adventure modules are completely self-contained if you are running/using the module as written. The DMG and MM will allow you to alter the module by adding magic items and monsters to your adventure, but they are not needed.

Not exactly the answer to your question, but a lot of good info on a more generic version of your question here: What do I need to play 5e? (fantasygrounds.com) (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32987-What-do-I-need-to-play-5e)

father0fnine
February 10th, 2024, 00:56
That article is actually perfect. It says, in short, what one gets (or misses) from each book in a FG setting. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you.

damned
February 10th, 2024, 00:57
Hi what does a group lose not having the DMG or MM FG modules when running pre-preprinted adventures (say, Curse of Strahd)? I can see where they would be almost necessary for setting up a homebrew campaign, but I am wondering what hardships CoS would have for the party if the DM didn't have those books online.

You can happily play with the PHB and CoS modules.