PDA

View Full Version : Still lots of error messages after a time

micael
February 6th, 2024, 21:21
Hi guys,

I had this problem in the past and thought it was portal extension, but today I had this extension disabled and after 1 hour play, the first player got error messages and after 3h I as DM also got them everytime and again and again even doing nothing- deleting them just produced new messages - I could use FGU but the error screen always pops up again immediatly.

Any idea what could be the reason of this ( I know I have many things enabled but what of these is responsible) - because it took so long time it is really not feasyble to test it in different configurations.
Here you get my log...

Thanks for your help.

Micael

rhagelstrom
February 6th, 2024, 21:26
Its caused by Natural Selection extension and the issue is known

Mike Serfass
February 6th, 2024, 21:41
Note that you can use the chat command

/console skip
to suppress the barrage of error messages in cases like this.
The error console will automatically turn on next time you start the game.

damned
February 6th, 2024, 23:36
Note that you can use the chat command

/console skip
to suppress the barrage of error messages in cases like this.
The error console will automatically turn on next time you start the game.

How have I never known that switch?

superteddy57
February 7th, 2024, 02:37
It's a recent (few months) addition.

SilentRuin
February 7th, 2024, 02:45
An error essentially means everything after it in the logic tree is skipped. Skipping errors is a horrible idea. Better to turn off the extension causing it than suppressing an error leading to the worst of the worst kind of hidden misdirected type of problems.

IMHO

damned
February 7th, 2024, 02:51
An error essentially means everything after it in the logic tree is skipped. Skipping errors is a horrible idea. Better to turn off the extension causing it than suppressing an error leading to the worst of the worst kind of hidden misdirected type of problems.

IMHO

Ofc. But trying to fix old rulesets in particular Im working on one thing at a time. There might be a dozen errors.

SilentRuin
February 7th, 2024, 02:57
Ofc. But trying to fix old rulesets in particular Im working on one thing at a time. There might be a dozen errors.

Dev suppression of errors is one thing. But advertising a tool as something for users to use is a completely different thing.

You are knowledgeable enough to handle a grenade with the pin pulled as you know to keep it under tight control and not to leave it lying around.

Handing something like that to a user and saying "sure you can use this" is... well... different.

damned
February 7th, 2024, 03:06
Agreed its not a good long term - or wide spread - option!

Mike Serfass
February 7th, 2024, 05:17
I offered that as an alternative to pausing the game session, restarting FGU, turning off random extensions in the hope you get the correct one, waiting for everyone to log back in, realize there's still a problem, repeat.
Been there and it sucked more than the extension not working.
If the errors don't prevent game play for anyone, it can be dealt with after the session.
That's why the option was added. Also for devs and content creators as damned observed.
But ignore errors at your own peril! Deny them and they will overwhelm!

Moon Wizard
February 7th, 2024, 05:48
Unfortunately, the extension errors can also break standard behavior Core/ruleset behaviors, which is why we recommend keeping the number of extensions to a manageable minimum, as well as not running with errors regularly.

Regards,
JPG

micael
February 7th, 2024, 09:34
I offered that as an alternative to pausing the game session, restarting FGU, turning off random extensions in the hope you get the correct one, waiting for everyone to log back in, realize there's still a problem, repeat.
Been there and it sucked more than the extension not working.
If the errors don't prevent game play for anyone, it can be dealt with after the session.
That's why the option was added. Also for devs and content creators as damned observed.
But ignore errors at your own peril! Deny them and they will overwhelm!

I appreciate that - yesterday we were in a hurry and starting again without knowing which extension is causing the problems is nothing to do in the middle of a play session.

Thanks

Micael

micael
February 7th, 2024, 09:35
Thank you for your help.

Micael