PDA

View Full Version : Modules with Lighting in the Store

The Decepticon
February 5th, 2024, 17:53
Is there a way to determine if an adventure has lighting included in the module? I know we can sort with or without LOS, but is there a way to ensure an adventure has lighting added before purchase?

Ex. 5E Dungeon of the Mad Mage has LOS but no lighting added.

ddavison
February 5th, 2024, 19:00
We don't currently track that in the store database. The description will probably call it out if it has dynamic LOS and lighting.

The Decepticon
February 6th, 2024, 00:21
We don't currently track that in the store database. The description will probably call it out if it has dynamic LOS and lighting.

Thanks for the quick reply. The description doesn't spell out if the modules have or don't have lighting though. Hence my dilemma. In the example above Mad Mage has LOS but, here is the description of Mad Mage...

It is like that for other modules as well. Just something to point out and hopefully folks don't automatically think LOS means the module has lighting.

This product includes:

High quality artwork
Fantasy Grounds automation
Searchable reference manual
23 Amazing Levels to explore, complete with descriptions, random encounters and more
Skullport
Dozens of Player Quests
All the NPCs, items and magic items you need to play
Monster and NPC tokens
6 Fantasy Grounds Exclusive Story Templates
Fantasy Grounds Exclusive Crib Sheet
Custom colored and textured battlemaps for each level and skullport

Laerun
February 6th, 2024, 14:04
Thanks for the quick reply. The description doesn't spell out if the modules have or don't have lighting though. Hence my dilemma. In the example above Mad Mage has LOS but, here is the description of Mad Mage...

It is like that for other modules as well. Just something to point out and hopefully folks don't automatically think LOS means the module has lighting.

This product includes:

High quality artwork
Fantasy Grounds automation
Searchable reference manual
23 Amazing Levels to explore, complete with descriptions, random encounters and more
Skullport
Dozens of Player Quests
All the NPCs, items and magic items you need to play
Monster and NPC tokens
6 Fantasy Grounds Exclusive Story Templates
Fantasy Grounds Exclusive Crib Sheet
Custom colored and textured battlemaps for each level and skullport

In this case
Poor blind Barbarian that can't see... But it is a Dungeon, and dungeons are devoid of light unless they are inhabited by something that needs light...

Also, to pull back the curtain as it were, here's what the module says about light:
> **Illumination**

>Since the creatures that originally carved out Undermountain had darkvision and Halaster lights his way by using magic, areas of the dungeon are unlit unless otherwise noted.<

However, in the other cases, it's up to the person doing the conversions how they interpret each area or room, or to take the time to scour the text or the implied context of each section. Knowing if there is light required in a dungeon is knowing the content prior to the conversion or running it, and/or supplying users with the proper gear to adapt to the envíorment. It can be difficult to run the entire adventure in the dark. Perhaps enabling moonlight might help?
Or turn off the lighting and use a universal mask?

The Decepticon
February 6th, 2024, 14:44
Hi Laerun,

I am just asking if the store can have something that calls out if the adventure/module comes with lighting. Based on the above description for the Mad Mage, it doesn't state if it does or does not.

I already gave up the fight that DotMM will have lighting added long ago. I am currently DMing it for my group.

Zacchaeus
February 6th, 2024, 15:32
Hi Laerun,

I am just asking if the store can have something that calls out if the adventure/module comes with lighting. Based on the above description for the Mad Mage, it doesn't state if it does or does not.

I already gave up the fight that DotMM will have lighting added long ago. I am currently DMing it for my group.

DotMM may be the only WotC 5e module not to have lighting. I honestly can't remember now which ones do and which don't. Certainly the majority of them do. There's no real easy way now to go back and figure that out for the purposes of adding another button to the store.