PDA

View Full Version : Installed New Video Card and Now FG2 Crashes

pjrake
March 1st, 2008, 02:32
i just installed the visiontek radeon x1550 video card and now i get the directx failed when starting FG2.

i also just installed the latest directx but still nothing. didn't really see if my video card was compatible or not.

and the funny thing is that i bought this video card to get a better resolution so i can play FG2 and have more windows open on my screen. i have a samsung 19" syncmaster 940bw widescreen... but i also just found out that LCD flat panel really only come in one resolution, and it happens to be 1440 x 900 (the same as my old card). and now i can't even run FG2. man, double whammy!!!

-PJ

Sigurd
March 1st, 2008, 03:09
If you installed Directx 10 you will not get the card to function properly. A small gander at google places this card as a bargain card put out at or around the time of DX9 before DX9c.

I believe DX9.0c is the requirement for FG2 - its always worked for me. You'll likely be fine when you sort the details out. Still, you change hardware you change operating environments.

Good luck

Sigurd

pjrake
March 1st, 2008, 14:07
well, i finally got FG2 to work after a series of troubleshooting options. however, i lost all the information from my last adventure (write ups, room descriptions, etc.)

i'm wondering if any changes made to my characters (XP, modifying skills/attributes after leveling up) was lost as well.

-PJ

Griogre
March 3rd, 2008, 00:47
FG updates the save files on exit. Like the /save, this works correctly. Unfortunately because auto save is broken, if you crash out before you exit normally you will loose whatever has been input since the start of the session or the last /save command. So if you did not /save after character were updated those changes have probably been lost. :( Ask your players to remind you to /save after they level - they probably will remember after losing their changes. I and some other players leveled today and I can tell you there was a lot of OOC chatter asking the DM to /save as characters were finished leveling.

I am dumb founded Smiteworks has not pushed out a patch for autosave. This should be a trivial fix to the exe. What is the point of having an built in updater if they won't use it?

joshuha
March 3rd, 2008, 00:58
FG updates the save files on exit. Like the /save, this works correctly. Unfortunately because auto save is broken, if you crash out before you exit normally you will loose whatever has been input since the start of the session or the last /save command. So if you did not /save after character were updated those changes have probably been lost. :( Ask your players to remind you to /save after they level - they probably will remember after losing their changes. I and some other players leveled today and I can tell you there was a lot of OOC chatter asking the DM to /save as characters were finished leveling.

I am dumb founded Smiteworks has not pushed out a patch for autosave. This should be a trivial fix to the exe. What is the point of having an built in updater if they won't use it?

That part of the patch is finished but they are waiting to fix some related things I believe. I will see if I can get them to push out a smaller release with the DB fixes.

Oberoten
March 3rd, 2008, 07:35
I have to agree. This SHOULD be a high-priority.