PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to double the max NPC HP?

Rumsar
January 26th, 2024, 14:03
I'm running my players in a campaign that has them fight big monsters but usually a 1v4 situation. By then the monsters get stomped into the mud if the players resources haven't been drained enough. So what I'd like is the ability to double the max HP of the creatures to give them a fighting chance. I already know, and do, have the max HP picked in the options menu but they still die so fast. Is there an extension that I can add to double the max HP easily?

Thanks for the help
Rumsar

Zacchaeus
January 26th, 2024, 14:48
Not that I'm aware of (you don't say what ruleset you are using and I'm not familiar with all of them). You'd have to update the hit points manually. You could also increase things like armour class or the attack bonus or damage done to make NPCs harder.

Rumsar
January 26th, 2024, 16:30
Using 5e for this.

LordEntrails
January 26th, 2024, 17:31
You can check the Forge for an extension, but I'm not aware of any that would do this either. You'll just need to modify the NPCs. It's easy enough to do. You will probably want to do it before you add them to the CT just so they are prepared and ready to go.
Of course, you can always replace encounters with tougher NPCs. So instead of using regular orcs, use orc chieftans etc.

BaneTBC
January 26th, 2024, 17:57
Could just give them a RESIST: ALL effect to halve the damage coming into them which would accomplish the same thing. Just expect that the players will probably mention something about the half damage in the chat messages sooner or later (usually sooner).

devilspork
January 26th, 2024, 18:06
I modifying the NPC HP once loaded to the combat tracker. Usually usually another 50% to 100%. 5 players, 8th level. More roll play than role play.

Rumsar
January 26th, 2024, 19:00
I could do those things if not for me being a lazy DM that just wants a setting to click. I can always mod the NPCs i know but lazy is good too sometimes! The resist was a good idea but yeah my players would ask questions on that lol. 3

wndrngdru
January 27th, 2024, 19:48
I would recommend rethinking the battle.
Any Big Bad Evil Guy worth their salt would never let themselves be put in a 1v4 situation. They didn't get to be the BBEG by never having a plan B, escape plan, minions, etc.

The following is just my own opinion, but after 40 years of being the default GM in my groups, I've found that adding HP just makes combat longer, not better. I tend to be a story-first GM, though. Some people really dig the HP grinding. Personally, I get bored with it and am done with 3-hour-long battles, so I tend to add things that complicate the situation instead of more HP. In other words, provide a reason for him to have that RESIST; a magic user or item that provides that effect. (I would do the former since you generally can't loot the spell off a dead guy, plus, another target to deal with.) Add things to the environment that make it difficult for your toe-to-toe characters to even reach him, stuff that will require resources to overcome, barriers that need taken out before they can even focus on the BBEG. Meanwhile, your guys are pelting them with ranged attacks and the environment itself is generally hostile for the round or two that takes up.

The down side to this way of doing it is you really can't pick up a pre-written campaign and just run it by staying a page or two ahead of your players. At some point, you really need to begin tailoring your encounters to the strengths and weaknesses of the party. Not enough to be frustrating for them, but enough to add a bit of a challenge.

These days, I don't GM 5e anymore as I've found other systems that are easier to GM and play, e.g., Cypher System, Blades in the Dark, Dungeon World/other PbtA games, etc. I do play in one 5e campaign where the GM is quite good at doing the above. I'm rarely bored in his games.

Bonkon
January 27th, 2024, 20:01
Good Day Rumsar :)
I did things a bit different in one of my recent combats. The party was battling trolls and as everyone knows fire is the bane of trolls. I just changed up the resistances so the when the party hit the trolls with fire and said Ok, that should knock out the regeneration for troll 1. They were surprised when the troll stood back up on its next round. I did leave some of the trolls with fire as the bane but switched others to radiant, necrotic, lightning..... You get the idea. So adding or changing standard vulnerabilities or resistances can up the challenge quite a bit. :)

Rumsar
January 27th, 2024, 22:47
Ya'll are great. However the 1v4 this is by design. If you've ever played the game Monster Hunter by Capcom you'll know what I'm talking about. The game is also very homebrew and so some of this, frankly, fantastic advice doesn't quite hit the mark

LordEntrails
January 29th, 2024, 00:11
I've found the big thing in 5E is action economy and making sure the BBEG has more than one action when they are not supported by minions. Look into giving them Lair Actions and/or Legendary Actions. Otherwise a BBEG with just a single action fighting a party is almost always outclassed, regardless of HP.

Griogre
January 29th, 2024, 03:18
I've found this to be true as well. A single "boss" monster needs either an AOE type aura that does reasonable damage - or as many attacks as opponents (or some combo). An easy upgrade is to just give a monster as many normal attacks as party members but restrict him from concentrating on one PC.

A D&D 4E concept of triggered actions happening when the boss goes to half hit points can be useful, as can ongoing "bleeding" wounds that continue to do damage and accumulate.

Nyarly Dude
January 29th, 2024, 16:20
I believe the Theros sourcebook has some guidance on 'two-stage' bosses.

But generally, I'd

(1) want to be sure to bleed resources before the finale; not necessarily with combat, hazards can do plenty;
(2) keeping appropriate pressure to push forward, rather than rest
(3) if a fight must be 1-on-4, definitely using lair actions in addition to legendary actions
(4) potentially having the party need to divert attention to hazards during the finale

e.g. even if there aren't minions to also pose threat, there can be problems, like if there's an impending catastrophe that can be slowed/prevented, such as a sewer lair that's flooding but valves that can be interacted with to slow/stop this; prisoners to rescue from fire; w/e.

Rumsar
January 29th, 2024, 17:09
(1) the bleeding of resources is left to the dice gods. Tho I have swung it in a way that burns more resources.
(2) Homebrew resting mechanics are helping to keep them having to think.
(3) I've implemented some sweeping attacks which has helped out a lot. Also put in some HP threshold activities that help
(4) the way the hunts go, each end of a hunt is 'technically' a boss fight not sure how much I can divert but that's a good idea.