PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having trouble placing doors?

UrKnightErrant
January 26th, 2024, 05:31
Since the Weds update I have been having trouble with doors placed in the edit mode. All the old doors still work, but the ones I have placed since that update are not highlighted on the game map making it impossible to open/close/lock anything. I have to manually go into edit mode and delete or move the door nodes. Is this a bug? Is it just my problem? Or am I just doing something wrong?

Moon Wizard
January 26th, 2024, 05:38
What version does the FG launch screen report? v4.4.9 (Live) or v4.4.10 (Test)?

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
January 26th, 2024, 08:51
I'm not seeing any issues in TEST. Does this happen in a new campaign without extensions?

UrKnightErrant
January 27th, 2024, 05:53
I am running 4.4.9

The campaign I'm running now is 2E AD&D. I have a bunch of other campaigns. Traveller. 5E. CoC. but I don't honestly know if I have any campaigns without extensions. I'll create one that next time I log in.

UrKnightErrant
January 30th, 2024, 02:36
OK. None of the doors are working. I am using secret doors as an in-game substitution.

I set up a vanilla rpg campaign with no extensions. The doors still did not work.

I am using version 4.4.9.

Is it possible I am missing some in-game setting, or something? I haven't been able to find anything about it online, but it wouldn't be the first time I missed something that was right under my nose the whole time.

Moon Wizard
January 30th, 2024, 02:40
Did you define the doors yourself, or did they come with an existing module?
Are the doors defined as lines or rectangles? (Regular doors are assumed to be rectangular shapes, not lines.)

Can you zip up and provide a link to the campaign folder with the issue? (i.e. DropBox, OneDrive, etc.)

Regards,
JPG

UrKnightErrant
January 30th, 2024, 03:06
I defined the doors as lines. I will try deleting the nodes and redefining them as rectangles or polygons.

These are custom made maps. The wall layers are from scratch. but I do have a number of 2E modules activated in the same campaign.

No can do. The folders are local. Professional ethics demand that they stay that way. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm still not convinced I'm not just overlooking something simple.

UrKnightErrant
January 30th, 2024, 03:35
Redefining the doors as rectangles and polygons is working. Not an optimal solution, but a workable one.

Moon Wizard
January 30th, 2024, 03:36
We only ask for files to debug software issues internally; they are not used for any other purpose. You can submit link via support ticket or PM to keep the links private.

My guess is that the issue is the doors as lines, as I know they were originally intended to only be drawn that way originally. (and most modules do it that way.)
I've forwarded to our image/map features developer to take a look at that specific aspect, but example data always helps. (even a campaign stripped down to a single record with that issue.)

Regards,
JPG

UrKnightErrant
January 30th, 2024, 04:14
Well, you got me back up and running. I appreciate that. But yeah... Lines are a WAY better solution. :(

I'm sure y'all will figure it out in time if a few more peeps report a similar bug. Might just be my install. Thanks so much for all your help.

Moon Wizard
January 30th, 2024, 05:40
Well, the original idea is that most maps have graphics that show what a door looks like, and people wanted to see the door graphics not just a partial graphical display. Thus, doors were made as regions that can be seen into, but not seen through (similar to terrain LoS).

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
January 30th, 2024, 09:36
Well, you got me back up and running. I appreciate that. But yeah... Lines are a WAY better solution. :(

I'm sure y'all will figure it out in time if a few more peeps report a similar bug. Might just be my install. Thanks so much for all your help.

It's not a bug; it is intended. See videos twenty nine to thirty one here for more on drawing occluders https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55797-How-do-I-in-Unity

LordEntrails
January 31st, 2024, 02:31
Doors can be lines now? I always thought they had to be closed polygons (typically rectangles).

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2024, 08:58
Doors can be lines now? I always thought they had to be closed polygons (typically rectangles).

You can, and always could, draw them as lines; but they only work if you draw them as closed polygons. I think this was the issue with the doors not working for @UrKNightErrant; they were drawing them as lines.

pindercarl
January 31st, 2024, 14:00
You can, and always could, draw them as lines; but they only work if you draw them as closed polygons. I think this was the issue with the doors not working for @UrKNightErrant; they were drawing them as lines.

It is correct that doors and terrain are, by definition, closed polygons. Zacchaeus is also correct that the user is not prevented from drawing doors that look like a line. I'll be looking at adding handling to the doors to account for this instance.

LordEntrails
February 1st, 2024, 03:32
Ah, I always knew you could draw a door as a line and it would not work properly. I was under the impression that the it was implied in this thread that line doors would now work. Glad to see an effort to handle when doors and terrain are created as lines.