PDA

View Full Version : Cross-Skill problems for Multiclass

paco_crowman
February 28th, 2008, 04:50
I've looked for the answer, maybe not hard enough, but I was under the impression the D20 system allows any skill rank to max-out at character level +3 as long as any of your classes had it as a class skill. There appears to be a bug with the skill tab in the default D20 ruleset.

For example, when creating a rogue character and selecting tumble as a class skill, it allows me to get 4 ranks max - which is OK. If I add a fighter level without selecting tumble as class skill, it should still let me increase 1 rank for a total of 5 (Rogue 1 + fighter 1 = Character level 2 +3 = 5), even at the cost of 2 skill points instead of one. But FGII only allows a .5 increase to 4.5 if I try to input a 5, 6, 7 or 8 (and - get this - if I try to input a number greater than the available ranks, say 13, it sets a high rank number, such as 10.5).

When I added a second fighter level, it lets me go up to 6.5 ranks on this non-fighter-class skill, even though the max should be 6

All this occurs using the planned increment option

Is this something that is going to be corrected? Or do I stick with direct adjustment (the other opirion is to have my multi class skills be selected all as class skills, but then i would loose track of which ones cost more)

Thanks and Regards - after comparing all virtual tabletops out there my group selected FGII and have never looked back.

Griogre
February 28th, 2008, 05:42
Cross class skill can be no higher than (Level + 3) / 2.

Skills Summary
If you buy a class skill, your character gets 1 rank (equal to a +1 bonus on checks with that skill) for each skill point. If you buy other classes’ skills (cross-class skills), you get ½ rank per skill point.

Your maximum rank in a class skill is your character level + 3.

Your maximum rank in a cross-class skill is one-half of this number (do not round up or down).

Bumamgar
February 29th, 2008, 13:39
Griogre, you didn't provide the complete quote...

The maximum rank in a class skill is the character’s level + 3. If it’s a cross-class skill, the maximum rank is half of that number (do not round up or down).

Regardless of whether a skill is purchased as a class skill or a cross-class skill, if it is a class skill for any of your classes, your maximum rank equals your total character level + 3.
(Emphasis added)

So yes, this is a bug in the default ruleset for FG II.

Griogre
February 29th, 2008, 21:42
Sorry I misunderstood the original poster. Read the post too fast. :(

However, no I don't think there is a bug in FG default ruleset (or at least it is possible to use planned increment). I just checked. What you do in your rogue/fighter multiclass is have the rogue and fighter class skills checked appropriately in the skill lists (selectable by the bottom check boxes). Add the correct number to planned increment then just adjust your skills switching back and forth between fighter and rogue class skills as needed by changing the skill lists with the check boxes on the bottom of the skill sheet. Anything not a class skill in either should be added as a cross class in whichever class you are currently leveling. When you run out of skill points press the check button. It worked fine for me on the Fighter/Bard I leveled.