PDA

View Full Version : FG keeps freezing up!!!

KnuckleHead_7
February 28th, 2008, 03:34
I was trying to join a game tonight, and while I could get in and roll dice and chat with everyone, whenever the DM tried to upload the map to me FG would freeze up. I turned off Windows Firewall, to no avail. Anyone know what the problem is, and how to fix it? Or do I basically have a 20 dollar chat server on my computer now?

Toadwart
February 28th, 2008, 04:19
Did FG freeze completely? i.e. you had to kill and restart FG

There is an issue which stops you from typing in FG (happens sometimes when you switch to a different app and come back to FG) That one can be fixed by making FG fullscreen then back to non-fullscreen (or vice-versa)

KnuckleHead_7
February 28th, 2008, 18:14
Yeah, it froze completely. I had task manager up, and it wouldn't respond about 3-5 seconds after he would try to load the map. This was my time trying to play, so is there maybe a port I need to open or something?

joshuha
February 28th, 2008, 18:38
Are you on dial-up by chance or satellite? Any file sharing programs running? Shared connection?

During a map load the only thing I can think of is the bandwidth was choked so much it was literally waiting for it finish streaming.

Toadwart
February 28th, 2008, 18:49
Another thing to try is have the DM 'pre-share' the map (from the radial menu on the map). That streams the file to the players without showing it to them, when they all have it a little 'spiderweb' graphic shows up on the DMs map and he can then try sharing it.

Wraith
February 28th, 2008, 19:28
I'm the DM for the game he is playing in and I tried preloading the map and that didn't work. Also I think he said he isn't on dial up. I was thinking it had something to do with his firewall if anyone knows a lot about that kind of things I think that might be the problem.

joshuha
February 28th, 2008, 20:11
The thing is firewall only has to be worried about on the GM end. If he is connecting to the game then it has an active connection on that port to you.

The only other thing I can think of is some sort of virus/spyware protection thats flagging the images as hostile for whatever reason.

Is it all images? Only certain ones?

KnuckleHead_7
February 28th, 2008, 22:47
I do have AOL Security, thats my virus/spyware scanner, the only way I can close it out is by ending all the processes, and that didn't help either. I'm running on DSL, with nothing in the background. My bandwidth should be just fine, dslreports says 3.8mbs/sec. Basicly, as soon as the grid would come up, FG would freeze up. Sometimes I would see a couple tokens first, but within seconds the whole application would just freeze up. I'm on XP, SP2, so I even disabled the firewall to see if that helped. No luck so far, anyone have other ideas?

Griogre
February 29th, 2008, 01:49
I think it might be your security stuff. You might want to unload AOL and use AVG there is a free version for home use.

KnuckleHead_7
March 4th, 2008, 03:43
I tried what you said, we'll see what happens tomorrow night. Wish me luck!

Griogre
March 4th, 2008, 19:30
Good Luck! :D

KnuckleHead_7
March 5th, 2008, 23:47
I had to uninstall FG and reinstall to get it to work, but its fixed now. Time to find a game or two!