PDA

View Full Version : Rain FX has been updated to include lighting flashes and this ruins my maps

ghen
January 12th, 2024, 19:57
I translate a lot of maps for Grim Press into FG and many have rain as usual. Not all of these maps should have lighting flashes though. Lightning is a very specific phenomenon that doesn't happen in every rain storm or even most of them.

And that's just the primary use of Rain FX. What about everything else that I've been using rain for to create unique ambiance? Rain makes a great waterfall for example. Now those parts of the map flash for no reason. It also makes a great chaos soup if you fiddle with the numbers enough. Now the chaos has regular lightning flashes. All of which is going to affect products already produced and on the forge.

So, why was lightning baked into Rain FX instead of its own separate FX? Why is it default to ON with no toggle?

My proposed fix: Add a toggle, and default it to off to save previously converted media.

Attached a simplified waterfall with just the Rain FX to show what it has turned into.

edit: I looked back through my history to make sure I wasn't seeing things. I found gif of a waterfall I made in July with Rain FX and the gif doesn't have flashes.

pindercarl
January 12th, 2024, 20:42
I translate a lot of maps for Grim Press into FG and many have rain as usual. Not all of these maps should have lighting flashes though. Lightning is a very specific phenomenon that doesn't happen in every rain storm or even most of them.

And that's just the primary use of Rain FX. What about everything else that I've been using rain for to create unique ambiance? Rain makes a great waterfall for example. Now those parts of the map flash for no reason. It also makes a great chaos soup if you fiddle with the numbers enough. Now the chaos has regular lightning flashes. All of which is going to affect products already produced and on the forge.

So, why was lightning baked into Rain FX instead of its own separate FX? Why is it default to ON with no toggle?

My proposed fix: Add a toggle, and default it to off to save previously converted media.

Attached a simplified waterfall with just the Rain FX to show what it has turned into.

edit: I looked back through my history to make sure I wasn't seeing things. I found gif of a waterfall I made in July with Rain FX and the gif doesn't have flashes.

The rain effect has had lightning flashes since its inception. There was a period where there was a bug with the effect that disabled the lighting. The amount of lighting is connected to the intensity setting. Any intensity setting below 25 with disable the lightning.

ghen
January 12th, 2024, 21:11
Well I was using 50 intensity on waterfalls so that's on me not knowing its was a bug the past few years.

25,24,23 intensity still flashes. 20 does not.

I would LOVE for it to be set to over 25 as I use 25 intensity for other, more normal rains. So if that's the number its supposed to be anyway, excellent.

The flashes are also muted by 'Moonlight' ambient setting, when they should be amplified.

For clarity, wouldn't a lightning toggle be better than an arbitrary slider number? Or maybe change the word 'Intensity' to 'Lightning', even easier update.

pindercarl
January 12th, 2024, 21:13
Well I was using 50 intensity so that's on me not knowing its was a bug the past few years.

25,24,23 intensity still flashes. 20 does not.

The flashes are also muted by 'Moonlight' ambient setting, when they should be amplified.

For clarity, wouldn't a lightning toggle be better than an arbitrary slider number? Or maybe change the word 'Intensity' to 'Lightning', even easier update.

Thanks for pointing out the correct value for lightning. There are no plans at the current time to changes to the effects. We'll keep your suggestion in mind for the future.

Jiminimonka
January 12th, 2024, 22:42
Thanks for pointing out the correct value for lightning. There are no plans at the current time to changes to the effects. We'll keep your suggestion in mind for the future.

Cool that the lightning is back, I missed that in some maps. Thanks!