PDA

View Full Version : World of Darkness Ruleset

MadJack
February 27th, 2008, 21:26
Hi everyone,

New to fantasy grounds and haven't been able to find a ruleset for WoD2.0 so I am working on a World of Darkness ruleset that I hope to expand into sets for all the WW WOD2.0 games.

Kinda new at this so it is taking a little while with the learning curve. I am a web developer by trade so I am pretty good with XML but LUA isn't something I have worked with before.

Anyway here are a few screens of what I have got so far. Mostly replacing graphics and starting on the character sheets. I am also working with some scripts I found on the site to try and work out how to do the auto calculation of successes and the exploding die thing but it is slow going.

Malovech
February 27th, 2008, 22:57
Very cool, can't wait to see how this shapes up. Will your rolls track against a difficulty number and then give a success count at the end? I always found this to be one of the more time consuming things about WOD.

MadJack
February 27th, 2008, 23:35
Well currently I am using some code that I found on the boards that totals successes based on the standard WoD2.0 target number of 8. It isn't like the Old WoD where the target number is variable so it is pretty simple.

The only thing I am having trouble with is the exploding 10s. I am trying to find a way to get it to roll extra dice for each 10 that comes up in the initial roll.

Right now I have it set up that you can double click on the stat or skill and it throws your dice pool for that and auto totals the successes. Screenshot below for that one.

jthm0138
February 28th, 2008, 00:02
Post removed by user

MadJack
February 28th, 2008, 00:16
Well I have picked up a few rulesets from the other members of this board so I am sure I can share it with anyone who is interested once I get it finished.

Thanks for the offer of help. If I run up against a wall on the graphical ideas I will remember the offer. :)

eyegore
February 28th, 2008, 06:56
Kudos to you, if you were thinking about making it more generic so that it could cover more of the D10 system you could allow the skills and powers area to have the names of the skills or powers typed in, rather than hardcoded to a specific skill set or focus (Blood pool, Mana pool, Rage pool etc).

This would allow your ruleset to be used for any flavour of the D10 system with little or no changes.

jthm0138
February 28th, 2008, 08:00
Post removed by user

Valarian
February 28th, 2008, 08:26
This is one of those rulesets I've not got around to due to lack of time. I'm glad someone is having a go at producing one. It's looking very good. I'd be interesting in your ruleset, or helping out with some of the code if I can and real-life permitting.

Joshuha put a script for exploding dice in this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5955&highlight=%22exploding+dice%22) a while ago. This may be of use as he put this functionality in to the Savage Worlds ruleset and it works well.

One question, how are you handling the die pools and calculating successes? The rolls seem to be separate in the chat window.

MadJack
February 28th, 2008, 17:19
Nice to see some interest in it.

In terms of using it for each system I have actually planned out the character sheet to have one tab that contains all the "creature" specific details so I can easily create the other systems once this one is done by some changes to that tab and a graphical change.

And for dice pools. Right now it is set up so you can double click any ability or skill to throw the dice for that. The auto total also works for pretty much any d10s hitting the table so you can have hot keys for regularly used pools. It is just with the new WoD2.0 you can use most skills with several different stats so it isn't feasible to tie each skill to one stat like it is with d20. So this should offer a nice blend of flexibility and ease of use.

A quick update too. Did some more work on it last night. A little rearranging and some progress. I have added a few more screens below. Almost done the character sheet. Just the gear sheet to finish and the roleplaying sheet (description, background, etc)

MadJack
February 28th, 2008, 18:12
Joshuha put a script for exploding dice in this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5955&highlight=%22exploding+dice%22) a while ago. This may be of use as he put this functionality in to the Savage Worlds ruleset and it works well.

Thanks for pointing this thread out. Joshuha's code snippet helped me sort out the issues I was having with this. I have the exploding dice working now. I have added a screen shot below. And I also set it up so the successes/exploding mechanic only gets triggered if the dice being thrown are d10s.

joshuha
February 28th, 2008, 18:39
One good idea for something like WoD where you can get different skill + attribute combination would be to make a mini-panel. On this panel would be a list of all the attributes on the left and any skills you have dots in on the right. Then you click a checkbox (or maybe just on the name itself) on the left and the same for the right and hit roll. It would then combine the dice and spit out a unified roll.

Oberoten
February 28th, 2008, 20:03
A suggestion : Perhaps when double-clickijng on a skill or a stat it could be sent to the modifier box?

Valarian
February 29th, 2008, 08:28
When I was having a think about this, I was thinking dice fields for the stats (which has been done here as well) and something like The Box modification (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6332) that was done for hidden rolls. You'd drag the dice from the dice fields you want to use in to the box, then double-click or drag and drop the combined dice pool in the chat window.

Ghoti
March 2nd, 2008, 17:00
Excellent work so far, I would love to get my hands on this when it is done. With your permission, I would seek to tweak it so it would work well for Exalted.

MadJack
March 2nd, 2008, 22:45
Ok I think I have the character sheet part done. Now to start on the NPC/Monster sheet and the combat tracker.

Some screen shots below of all that I got. Anyone see anything that I missed?

Valarian
March 2nd, 2008, 23:23
You seem to have forgotton the 'u' in Armour on the Gear tab :p
Most remiss, anyone would think you were American or something. ;)
Other than that everything looks great :D

Natai
March 7th, 2008, 19:47
Yours seems to be the only post dealing with d10 dice pool mechanics and exploding dice that also prevents dice other than d10 from exploding. Any chance you could post the script your using? And perhaps explain it for those of us who are LUA illiterate.

Oberoten
March 7th, 2008, 21:04
elseif draginfo.isType("dice") then
applyModifierStackToRoll(draginfo);
dielist = draginfo.getDieList();

local msg = {font="narratorfont"};
local entry = {};
entry.text = draginfo.getDescription();
entry.font = "systemfont";
entry.dice = dielist;
entry.diemodifier = draginfo.getNumberData();

for i=1,table.maxn(dielist) do
local result = dielist[i].result;
local sumresult = 0;
if dielist[i].type == "d6" then
sumresult = sumresult + result;
while result == 6 do
result = math.random(6);
sumresult = sumresult + result;

end
dielist[i].result = sumresult;
end
end

if User.isHost() then
if ChatManager.getDieRevealFlag() then
entry.dicesecret = false;
end
entry.sender = GmIdentityManager.getCurrent();
else
entry.sender = User.getIdentityLabel();
end

deliverMessage(entry);
return true;
end
end

Oberoten
March 7th, 2008, 21:05
*notation to previous* It isn't elegant. Not yet. But it is workable.
I'd prefer it to drop dice on the windov instead... but I can't get THAT to work as it should.

Edited notation :

Also, the example deals only with D6 but should be modifiable to D10 easily enough. (Just change random(6) to (10) and d6 to D10. It handles all instances of such die that falls on the chatwindov.

joshuha
March 7th, 2008, 21:24
Dorpping additional dice to the window isn't difficult. Dropping additional dice and wanting to make it part of the same roll is (as is done in the Savage Worlds ruleset). If you don't mind another seperate roll being done for each exploding die just a control.throwDice() command. However, for systems where you want totals or to count the number of successes then you have to worry about tracking them over multiple rolls and what not which is the hard part.

The trick to doing it all in one roll is to essentially get the initial dice, stop the processing of them hitting the window, check to see if dice exploded, explode them with the throwDice for pretty graphics, record these, repeat until no exploding, then put them all in one message and output to chat window.

MadJack
March 7th, 2008, 22:45
Sure.

Here is the code I have for this. It is largely based on stuff I found on here with some modifications. This is the onDiceLanded function from chat_chat.lua, I have just modified it.

function onDiceLanded(draginfo)
if ChatManager.getDieRevealFlag() then
draginfo.revealDice(true);
end

if draginfo.isType("dice") then
local aretens=true;
for i = 1, draginfo.getSlotCount() do
draginfo.setSlot(i);
dicelist = draginfo.getDieList();

local entry = {};
entry.font = "systemfont";

if dicelist then
local dicecount=table.maxn(dicelist);
local successes=0;
local failures=0;
local explodetable = {};

for c = 1, dicecount do
if dicelist[c].type == "d10" then
if dicelist[c].result==10 then
successes=successes+1;
table.insert(explodetable, "d10");
elseif dicelist[c].result>=8 then
successes=successes+1;
end
else
aretens = false;
end
end

if explodetable then
local explodedescription = draginfo.getDescription() .. " Exploded";
throwDice("dice", explodetable, 0, explodedescription);
end

entry.text = draginfo.getDescription() .. " Successes ";
entry.dice = {"d0"};
entry.diemodifier = successes;

if User.isHost() then
entry.sender = GmIdentityManager.getCurrent();
else
entry.sender = User.getIdentityLabel();
end
else
entry.text = "No dice left roll.";
end

if aretens then
deliverMessage(entry);
end
end
end
end

Pretty much what is happening is this:

1) A flag (aretens) is set to true.
2) Assign the dice list to a variable called dicelist.
3) Check if dicelist is null.
4) Put the total number of dice in a variable called dicecount.
5) Set successes = 0
6) For each die in the dicelist check to see if it is a d10, if it is:
6.1) Check to see if it came up 10, if it did:
6.1.1) Increment successes by one
6.1.2) Add a d10 to the explodetable
6.2) If it didn't come up 10:
6.2.1) Add one to successes
7) If the die is not a die 10 set the aretens flag to false. This is how I have it only exploding if all the dice in the set are d10s.
8) If explodetable has any dice in it:
8.1) Set explodeddescription to the current dicepool description + Exploded
8.2) throw the explodetable dice. They react the same as any other pool of d10s that hit the table. This allows for the exploded dice to keep exploding.
9) Create the chat text entry for the number of successes.
10) If aretens is still true then output the success count message.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions. Keep in mind I am really new to lua scripting so there may be ways to do this better that someone else will point out but it should get you started at least.

Dogzilla
April 4th, 2008, 12:49
Please tell me this isn't dead... if it is and you see this, care to share what you have so others may pick up where you left off?

- Dog

Kalan
April 4th, 2008, 13:08
Aye - I'd be very interested to see this develop further, as I would love to play/run some WoD 2.0 for people eventually (namely my wife who's a huge WoD fan).

balth
June 3rd, 2008, 04:44
I, too, am interested in this!

MadJack
June 11th, 2008, 20:20
Sorry guys. It has been on hold for a bit as I have ran into all kinds of real world delays, including buying a new house, hunting for a different job, etc.

I have the actual character sheet part of it done but the combat tracker is trickier than I thought so I am still working on it. But it is a while off as I need to get my move done first.

And I need to create some new graphics for the general UI that is more in the WoD genre.

If anyone is interested in working on it too let me know I am willing to share. :)

Valarian
June 13th, 2008, 08:33
Don't know how much time I can dedicate to it as things are a bit chaotic around here at the moment. However, if you want to pass some work my way I can have a look at it. Bear in mind that I'm better with the XML and Lua than graphics. Much better. Don't get too hopeful though, I'm really bad at graphics (unless it's a simple modification of existing stuff). What's the issue with the combat tracker?

Dogzilla
June 21st, 2008, 19:08
I'll take a look at what you got and see if I have any luck if you want... plus I have a ton of graphics and a very good friend at Four Ugly Monsters who might give me some input. PM me and we can figure out how to send it (email ftp, etc...)

unerwünscht
June 21st, 2008, 22:33
Just wondering how this ruleset is coming along?
My group and I are on the edge of our seats waiting for a good WoD port.

neonbasschild
July 22nd, 2008, 17:13
I have been doing graphics for a good bit now, mind you I have never modded anything in FG. But if you would like any help please let me know. I mainly run WoD and I am dieing to get my hands on this ruleset.

ShadowedKnight
August 31st, 2008, 20:49
hey minor question as I can't find info any where....how is this coming along so far?

balth
September 17th, 2008, 01:16
I also am still keen on the whereabouts of this proposed ruleset!

Dogzilla
September 22nd, 2008, 10:23
over 1500 views... the people want this bro... plz share it!

turelus
September 28th, 2008, 23:40
Have to agree this is the only sheet I can find for WoD, I would love to give it a test run.

finagle67
October 7th, 2008, 04:00
Definitely, I'd love to see this sheet if you don't mind sharing!

Honken
October 28th, 2008, 10:10
I am dieing to get my hands on this ruleset.

I have to agree with you here. Mad Dog, a update would be nice? Pretty please, with sugar and cream on top.

/Honken

Oberoten
October 28th, 2008, 11:56
'Nother Swede? And an Ume-an at that.

'Kay... Spreading the love of FG I'll see if I can pinch together the time to patch up something simple.

Enurunner
March 26th, 2009, 10:55
Any news on this ruleset?
I'm all new to FG and since our group is having trouble with 3.5 and the combat tracker we're searching for another ruleset to use.

Tenian
March 26th, 2009, 11:14
I think you should probably check out this thread:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9238