PDA

View Full Version : FG plans?

Moon Wizard
February 27th, 2008, 18:33
Is there any way to find out what is planned and/or a rought timeline for the next couple versions of FG?

Since I am crunching away on ruleset upgrades, I want to make sure that I am not re-creating something that will come with the next release.

Thanks,
JPG

jthm0138
February 27th, 2008, 18:40
Post removed by user

joshuha
February 27th, 2008, 20:01
Well Smiteworks has a internal list broken out between bugs and features and a general priority order.

However, its very difficult to say exactly X features will be in Y version. As I stated before many of the ideas in your custom ruleset have been already slated to be in the d20 ruleset (or were in my own home version that will be joining the d20 ruleset).

We also have plans for ruleset plugins and what not. I will see if I can gather more specifics but I know the developers want to avoid promising exact version numbers for certain features as testing can delay or change the scope of these things.

Dachannien
February 29th, 2008, 19:37
Hey, Joshuha,

Any word on when a bug fix release might be ready? There are a number of bugs - including the easily-fixable "autosaving to the wrong directory" bug - that I'm certian the community would love to see fixed even if no new features accompanied the release.

jthm0138
February 29th, 2008, 19:42
Post removed by user

joshuha
February 29th, 2008, 19:44
That specific bug is fixed in the development build right now. Also the bad category IDs causing crashes has been resolved.

I think they are trying to get other bug fixes in there as well before a release though. Right now I can only see when something has been marked as resolved. Trying to work on getting the issues identified for a version but there are a lot in there so it may take some time.

Dachannien
March 3rd, 2008, 06:50
Thanks much, Joshuha. Since I've submitted a few of those bugs, let me know if you and the devs need more info on them.

Master
March 3rd, 2008, 14:29
Is there an estimated release date for the next patch?

jthm0138
March 3rd, 2008, 18:03
Post removed by user

Ged
March 4th, 2008, 21:03
I can answer this one for you, its the same at almost EVERY company the makes any kind of software.

"Due to the nature of programming and the complications that arise from bugs, there is now way to say for sure when the next update will be available other than to say it will be ready when it is ready at which point we will let you know"
Sorry to say, but that is pretty much how it is. We've experimented with giving out dates in the past and those were not too hilarious experiences.

Master
March 4th, 2008, 21:15
We used to always tell people 2 weeks... but two weeks was synonymous with when it is ready it will be released. I think that started back in the early 90s with iMagic and just became a running joke.

Anyways, just thought I would ask. Some companies have strict schedules while others do not. I just didn't know which way FGII was.

Dachannien
March 4th, 2008, 23:42
As long as you make sure say two weeks every single week, that should work out okay! ;)

Anyway, I hope the next release is in the near future. I'd like to see FG continue to do well - not just because I've spent money on it, but also because I like the idea of a small independent developer doing well in the face of the WotC behemoth spewing their Gleemax crap everywhere. An update before their VTT comes out would help a bunch in terms of making FG the premier VTT software for 3.0/3.5 D&D and other d20-based games (for which I anticipate there still being a big market for some time to come).