PDA

View Full Version : Game License

fmccurry
December 24th, 2023, 16:17
Can I buy 2 Game Licenses using the same login ID/email address?

Thank you very much

Zacchaeus
December 24th, 2023, 17:29
No. You can only have one license per account. But you can have multiple accounts. What is the use case?

Griogre
December 24th, 2023, 17:31
If you want to gift a license you would be better off creating a new account and buying for that account and giving the person the password for that account.

If you want to start a second instance you don't need a second license.

If you want two use two different computers one to develop your campaign on while commuting, and one to run actual game on you can just use the same license on different computers as long as you don't run FG at the same time on them.

Buying two licenses might be the best way for certain edge cases though. What is your goal in buying two licenses?

fmccurry
December 24th, 2023, 17:38
If you want to gift a license you would be better off creating a new account and buying for that account and giving the person the password for that account.

If you want to start a second instance you don't need a second license.

If you want two use two different computers one to develop your campaign on while commuting, and one to run actual game on you can just use the same license on different computers as long as you don't run FG at the same time on them.

Buying two licenses might be the best way for certain edge cases though. What is your goal in buying two licenses?

I am new to this and would like to try different things out.
I would like to run the DM view on one computer and the player's view on another computer. This way I can see what happens when I do/try different things.

DCrumb
December 24th, 2023, 18:19
You can run a second instance of FG on the same computer and log into the campaign as a player would.

Zacchaeus
December 24th, 2023, 18:26
I am new to this and would like to try different things out.
I would like to run the DM view on one computer and the player's view on another computer. This way I can see what happens when I do/try different things.

You don't need a second license to do that. You can either run a second instance of FGU on the same computer as the host client is running. See here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/2072641544/How+to+Open+Multiple+Instances+of+Fantasy+Grounds+ Unity for details.

Or you can install the demo version on a second machine if you want to go down that route.

ddavison
December 24th, 2023, 19:28
No. You can only have one license per account. But you can have multiple accounts. What is the use case?

That is not 100% correct. You can technically have multiple licenses on the same account. The license key is separate from the user account. Each account using the software should have its own username, though, so you can connect them. The username also links to the add-ons and DLC that you own for the account.

The *recommended* method is to run a 2nd instance on the same computer, to have an Ultimate license on your main PC and a demo on the 2nd, or to have two PCs with different license keys and usernames. Some people that run multiple license keys prefer to keep all the licenses and purchases on a single main account and then they create secondary user accounts for other PCs in their household. They then use one of the other license keys on the 2nd computer.

Griogre
December 25th, 2023, 01:03
@Zacchaeus There are also some adult and children situations where using one account for multiple licenses makes sense.