PDA

View Full Version : FG to DND Beyond?

Blakey
December 14th, 2023, 09:34
Hey all,

We tend to use DND Beyond to store our PCs - due to ease of access/always on nature of the cloud. There's neat application to export your DNDB characters into XML format and import that into FG. Works great.

Is anyone aware of a reverse function? A PC in my campaign has picked up a load of random clutter in his Inventory and I'd like to be able to just import it into DNDB rather than trying to do it by hand.

TIA!
Blakey

Chivalrous1
December 20th, 2023, 16:18
Hey all,

We tend to use DND Beyond to store our PCs - due to ease of access/always on nature of the cloud. There's neat application to export your DNDB characters into XML format and import that into FG. Works great.

Is anyone aware of a reverse function? A PC in my campaign has picked up a load of random clutter in his Inventory and I'd like to be able to just import it into DNDB rather than trying to do it by hand.

TIA!
Blakey

I know that you can export your FG characters into an XML file. I have yet to find a way to import an XML file into DNDB. I think you will need to manually create the characted on DNDB

LordEntrails
December 20th, 2023, 18:01
I'm not aware of any ability to import data into DDB. Lots of tools to get data out of DDB, but no way I know of to get data into it.

SieferSeesSomething
December 21st, 2023, 06:32
I wouldn't be surprised if that's on purpose. They probably can't prevent people from scraping DDB, but at least by preventing people from importing into it, they can try to solidify their walled garden.

Or I'm being paranoid lol

LordEntrails
December 21st, 2023, 15:05
I wouldn't be surprised if that's on purpose. They probably can't prevent people from scraping DDB, but at least by preventing people from importing into it, they can try to solidify their walled garden.

Or I'm being paranoid lol
I think it's more about architecture. Users do not have private spaces in the database. Instead, all the content is in the database and then users simple have permissions (or not) to specific objects in the database (i.e. classes, feats, items, etc) and they access them via a web server.

So, if a user could upload into the database, they would have all sorts of concerns. Not just having to setup access control to other users, but also how to prevent malicious activities. Not that any such couldn't be architected, but it requires a different approach from what is basically just a web site with lots of users.

JimK
December 25th, 2023, 09:02
Could you share the application to export a character from DnD Beyond to an XML file?

Zacchaeus
December 25th, 2023, 15:00
I think this is it https://www.alexanderkorn.nl/FG2/index.html

JimK
December 26th, 2023, 05:51
Thank you sending this link during the holiday season.
Best Regards from DownUnder